Affinity Basics 1a - Setting Up a Page in Affinity 1

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Angela Toucan, May 25, 2023.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

This is the first of a set of tutorials intended for beginners getting started using Affinity for digital scrapbooking.
    The New Document Dialog is different in Affinity 1 and Affinity 2. If you are using Affinity 2, please go to this tutorial: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/affinity-basics-1b-setting-up-a-page-in-affinity-2.88561/

The process is the same for Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher, and Affinity Photo. In this example I'm using Designer. (There are some additions for working with double page layouts in publisher, I will show those at the end.)

In the New Document Window choose the Print Tab, and select anything in the list as your starting point. Items in the Print tab should already have the Colour format set to RGB/8. If not, then change the colour format option to RGB/8.
    Affinity1Basic1a.jpg
    In the layout area on the right hand panel setup your page dimensions. It's traditional in scrapbooking to have the units in inches. Ensure that the DPI value is 300, and enter your required page dimensions.
    Affinity1Basic1b.jpg
    This step is optional, but highly recommended.
    Click on the + sign for adding a custom preset. This will enable you to create new pages without having to go through the above process every time.
    Affinity1Basic1c.jpg
    Now you have a new preset in the "My Presets" tab. It's currently called Unnamed 1 - if you right click on it you can give it a name of your choice.
    Clicking create on the bottom right of the dialog box will create your document ready for you to scrap in.
    Affinity1Basic1d.jpg

For Affinity Publisher 1 only
    One of the benefits of digital scrapbooking in Publisher is that it is easy to create multi page documents, and double page spreads. Below are the settings needed to create a double page spread.
    Affinity1Basic1e.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.