Advent calendars

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Nov 29, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

If you aren't too full of turkey or busy looking at pages of online bargains, I have some quick-ish questions for you as we head into December!

Courtney asked about Countdowns earlier; I heard on the radio the other day that some people start their advent calendars on the last day (like the 24th or 25th window) and use them to count down how many sleeps til Christmas. We've never thought about using them like that, we've always just started at the window numbered 1 on the first of December and used it like a calendar - I guess each is equally valid so now I'm curious-

Do you use any form of advent calendar?
    If so, is it a physical one with goodies in it?
    Did you make it?
    Ever bought the Lego ones? (Was it worth the price tag?)
    And what number do you start on, the 1st or last one?
    ...or maybe you just pick numbers at random, like December Bingo, or Deal or No Deal - seems as good a method as any and maybe a bit more fun now I'm thinking about it, you'll run out of windows to open by the big day still?!

So we've steered away from the chocolate ones the last few years and perhaps unsurprisingly, i found an app this year that you can (supposedly) make a personalised digi advent calendar with your own photos and messages for each day and it gives you a link to send to people (it's MyAdvent in the Google Play store, I'm on android so I don't know re: Apple but has anyone used it before? I downloaded it but haven't played with it yet, I told the kids we'd make one with photos and stuff to send to family as part of the whole tree decking shebang this weekend, so I don't know if it's as good as it sounds but there were only positive reviews (although that in itself makes me a bit skeptical :-/ I'm thinking part of the benefit of this one is even if people decide to binge and open all the days at once, there's no calories (or guilt on my behalf)! Anyhow that's the plan so far this year!)

KarenB likes this.
  2. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Do you use any form of advent calendar? Yes - 2 of them. My daughter usually gets one for her birthday (Nov 28) that is of interest to her and then we have another 12 day one that is religious in nature

If so, is it a physical one with goodies in it? Yes, both are!

Did you make it? Make it? No. The ones my daughter gets are always store bought and are typically toys inside. The other one we have is one I got a long time ago and I have to put the items into the pockets, but it's not that hard!

Ever bought the Lego ones? (Was it worth the price tag?) I don't buy them, but she gets them for her birthday. They're actually pretty cool. If you can ever find one on clearance or sale I say go for it.

And what number do you start on, the 1st or last one? We always start with #1 :)

bellbird likes this.
  3. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Yes

I used to get the chocolate filled ones for the kids. But this year I have an old fashioned one for me lol! . Just with little windows to open and a Christmassy picture inside. Transports me back to childhood :)

Did you make it?

No. I always mean to make one, but never quite make the time!

Thought about it a few times. Then decided the kids already get enough, without getting stuff in their calendars too!

Always the 1st :)

bellbird likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

When I was little I did. My Grandmother's BF that we called "Aunt" used to give one to me every year. They were card stock weight to them and they would have Christmas scenes in them. As a kid I love seeing the pictures behind the days :)

bellbird likes this.
  5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

"Use" is probably not the term I would use for what we do now. When the kids were little, we used one to help them count down the days. Now I buy Clara ones that are 13 days (why that random number, I don't know?!??!), so they're strictly just for fun.

YES... always yes! We always used to do the Lego one (more below on that). I think after that I did candy for my son and then the Cards Against Humanity one they mailed out one year. My daughter had a make up one from Ulta one year, but she doesn't wear much make up and it seemed to be filled with especially sparkly, glittery stuff that year. Now she gets socks ones from Target. Socks are the one thing not restricted by her uniform code for school, so she loves fun socks! Last year was a woodland Christmas, I think. This year she's getting the Lilo and Stitch set. I'll probably give it to her to start on the first so she can wear the socks to school before break.

Did you make it?

Absolutely not... lol.

YES! We did these for years when the kids were little... they LOVED them. Until the one year they didn't, and they stopped opening the windows about halfway through the month. But I think that was probably my son's freshman year in high school and Clara's 7th grade year.

We start on number 1.

bellbird likes this.
  6. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

yes
    it's a Haribo Calendar with sweets in it
    Did you make it?
    no - I got it every year on my birthday from my stepdaughter as a joke (she knows how I love the Haribo sweets)
    no

I always start with number 1

bellbird likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We have the one that Joy sewed a few years ago, and I will be putting little tags in the pockets with acts of kindness on them for a daily challenge for the children.
    IMG_1070 (Small).JPG

8. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Yes. But I'm not religious, so I prefer the ones with 31 days, because in my little part of the world, Santa comes on Dec 31st. at midnight. :eyeroll
    Lots of goodies in it!
    Did you make it?
    Before my daughter was born, I used to make advents for my nieces, with little presents (socks, stamps, jewelry, etc). Last year I made this one for my daughter
    [​IMG]
    I sewed felt pouches and put them on a wooden tree. This year she doesn't want the tree; she even threw it in our recycle bin! :hairpol So I'm currently struggling to finish this year's.
    No. I think Playmobil are more popular here, but still pricey.
    And what number do you start on, the 1st or last one? ..
    On number 1.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wow that looks amazing! She seriously threw that out?! I'd be like 'fine! No presents this year! ' Unbelievable!

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes, at least 2, sometimes more. LOL! We have a religious one that we use, and then we have a fun one every year. And we do a chocolate one. It's overkill, but the chocolate one is tradition from my childhood, and I won't let it go. We have upped the chocolate quality from the one I had as a kid though!

If so, is it a physical one with goodies in it? Yes to the fun one. And the chocolate one. The religious one is physical, but not really goodies, more paper pieces.
    Did you make it? Yes, I have made some. In fact, it's my project of tomorrow! Only the chocolate one is store bought this year.

Ever bought the Lego ones? (Was it worth the price tag?) I'm torn on this. Yes, we've bought the Lego ones a few years, and we've bought the three series - friends, star wars, and city. Was it worth it? Meh. I don't think so for my kid. It was cute, and we liked it but it was expensive compared to the amount of actual lego pieces.
    So (to make a long story longer!) last year, we bought a bunch of Lego minifigs, dinosaurs, and food pieces. That's my son's favorite part anyway. And I made a calendar that I stuck it all in. He loved it, and it was cheaper. So this year, we are doing the same. I don't understand how this kid doesn't think he has enough mini figs yet, but :shrug

And what number do you start on, the 1st or last one?[/QUOTE]
    We always start on 1. But now that you say that, we do have a block set (That I made) that we countdown to Christmas on. So, advent counts up, blocks count down. Maybe I'll have advent count down this year. :think

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love this idea and i absolutely agree on the amount of mini-figs - like seriously there was a whole series of just UniKitty from the Lego movie although i find her cute and fun, i was reluctant to buy those - and then that's where grandma's come in, i guess - but what gets me is all their tiny 'weapons' and whatnot, like the Lord of The Rings wizard, gandalf or whoever and the Harry Potter type ones - all those axes and staff rod things, and that there's sometimes a few per character - they are just everywhere

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

YES! Munchkinhas Ningago mini-figs. Multiple weapons per each plus capes and weapon holders...It's crazy!

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i feel your pain!

bestcee likes this.
  14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

yes- I plan & make advent cards for our Elf on the Shelf to bring every morning. I'm seriously SO OVER IT after 10 years... but my son still totally believes in the magic & that keeps me going...

No...

Did you make it?
    Yes... I design & print out double sided cards- so I basically have to plan out our entire month of december... todays: 20191129_081439.jpg 20191129_081446.jpg (ignore my typos- I was in a rush this year! kids thought blue eyes just couldn't spell well! lol)

Yes! Almost every year for at least the last 4 or so. Eh... I usually get them at costco- so a bit cheaper. My kids LOVE them... I hate the wrappers that never get thrown in the trash & the legos on my table all the time (they have a dedicated lego table upstairs in the playroom/loft area!)

Never thought about this- on my cards, I count DOWN to Christmas- so today's card had the #26 on it (but I also add the date on the back side for my own sanity! ;) ) I have no clue what the kids start on their lego calendars...

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Do you use any form of advent calendar? Yes we sort of have 2. Our fabric one is similar to the picture.
    If so, is it a physical one with goodies in it? The traditional one we have used for years is the Nativity manager scene with little figures (shepherds, star, angel, cow, etc.) that you add each day. I also created a light string and card one last year.
    Did you make it? No for the cloth manager one. Yes, sort for the light and cards one.
    Ever bought the Lego ones? (Was it worth the price tag?) No
    And what number do you start on, the 1st or last one? Nativity one is by actual day, so they put Baby Jesus up on Christmas Day. The lights/card one is the days left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My dd got an idea for one that we want to try to make next year. She thought a Keurig cup one would be cute. She thought about gluing toilet paper rolls together in the shape of a Christmas tree (stacked on their sides with the hole facing out), paint it green, and then put a K-cup in the end of each roll. Well, we have one empty roll saved so far, so gotta be next year. Probably will need something on the other side to balance it out weight-wise.

bellbird likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We used to, but we didn't last year. I couldn't find it on time and then it was too late.

bellbird likes this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Yes!
    Yes but no goodies.
    Did you make it?
    It's tags that I decorated with Bible verses on the back. This will be the 3rd year we've used it.
    I'll take a pic tomorrow and share....I'm already sitting on the couch tonight and I don't plant to get up anytime soon!
    No. I'm afraid we would lose pieces.
    We always start on Dec first and count up to 25.

bellbird likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Well the App one worked if anyone needs any quick last minute advent ideas or they want to make one to send to family and i bow down to all of you crafty people that have made them @amien1 @bestcee @cinderella @Scrapping with Liz @BevG & that TP roll tree idea with the coffee pods sounds great too! (DD just started drinking tea b/c she went to a friends house and the friend drinks tea so i wonder if i could make a tea bag version next year... baby steps )

cinderella and bestcee like this.
  20. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Better late than never. I finally made a page about DD's advent calendar. Last year Santa brought her an advent calendar, but this year she's pissed at him and didn't want to use the wooden tree. The pull out pantry was the only free surface in our home!
    [​IMG]
    I made little paper bags inspired by some awesome Pinterest ideas, but most of the times it was just a craftfail! :giggle
    03.jpg

marijke and CharlotteM like this.