ACDSee or Bridge

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 18, 2022.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't have a lot of kits for Food so the general tag works. However, my cousin's granddaughter is really turning into quite the little cook/baker so I've been buying more kits to fit that. So I did a tag for Cooking Kit for when I'm doing those layouts. Sports is another one that is generic except I need a lot of kits specific to football so I have the tag Football Kit.

So far I've found that using general tags for my previews works for me. Less tags to remember as well ;)

bestcee likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Exactly! That's awesome that she's becoming quite the cook/baker!

3. HavaDrPepper

She wants to own her own bakery and she uses all gluten free ingredients. Mom (cousin's daughter) has celiac disease with a secondary lactose intolerance and has had to really change her diet in the last couple of years. Caroline does all their baking, making cakes and donuts on her own with no help from an adult. And, everything she makes, her mom can eat. She was in charge of the cookies at Christmas time but did let her brother and aunt help decorate. She's 10.

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

i'm still undecided as to what to use. My ACDSee database didn't transfer unfortunately so one way or another I am starting my tagging over again.....my main issue is that ACDSee was wildly unstable for me and I lost my tagging more than once so going down that route seems a bit iffy at best but that could have been more computer related than anything.

For those of you who have tried both Bridge and Lightroom, what are the pro's and cons of them for organizing stash? I'm open to trying both providing they aren't as resource heavy on the new pc and don't crash everything

5. HavaDrPepper

What I would do if I were you would be to start with Bridge. It is free. Do your tagging there. Use it and see if you like it. Then if you choose to try Lightroom any tagging you do will carry over. I only tag previews but do it in Bridge because tagging is easy. I can search in Picasa using those tags since they carry over.

I have a trial to Lightroom but so far have only imported photos to it. I don't like that I can't drag and drop to PSP from it. Oddly enough I can drag and drop to PSP from Bridge. But there are some features to Lightroom that are appealing.

6. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper I have Creative Cloud already so have access to both options.

7. HavaDrPepper

Cool! I think I would still just do the tagging in Bridge. Once you get the keywords set up it is easy.

Also, I don't know if you know this but I also had to get a new computer. I was dreading all the setup but at least I was able to prepare by getting everything I needed saved to EHD's. One thing I made sure I had was the keyword list from Bridge. It exports as a txt file. When I got the new computer and installed Bridge, all I had to do was use the "clear and import" to bring it in. Then when I told it where to look for the files, all my tagging was there.

littlekiwi likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

After a lot of thinking, I’ve decided I’m going to go back to ACDSee and hope it’s more stable for me on my newer computer. It’s what I’m more used to after years of using it and I just couldn’t gel with Bridge (hence why I stopped organising long ago). At least I tried some of the other “tools” at my disposal.

gonewiththewind likes this.