A Basic guide to your own Art Doll-

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by MrsPeel, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello :)
    Today's MOC 6- day 25th is to make a page where the main feature is an Art Doll. As many of you have panicked
    :imok :giggle
    here are some ideas...but in not so many words:
    just get inspired, choose your colors, grab some papers, and clip the parts of the template you chose to a paper, and then put the parts together.... you can add things if you like!!!
    The inspiration DOES NOT NEED TO be according with the seasons..... whatever the piece you choose tells you, go for it :)
    We have the template that Tangie has offered so kindly.
    There are parts, so you can choose your body, the head, the arms, and, if you want, a crown or legs, and look for nice papers you like,
    You can go super simple by just clipping one paper to the body/dress, or you can do what I did, which was add to the skirt, I made some frills with the wings from the template and layered them as a skirt.
    You can choose to make the dress/torso with just one paper you clip to the template part, or you can clip the paper but you can embellish it, I ma`de a dress entirely filled with sequins once....or you can make it all of flowers!!!!
    If you are more of a clean * simple, minimalist, you can go as clean as you want...this is YOUR doll!!!!!
    there are enough kits that you can make her into a cook (goody/kitchen kits have even aprons you can use!!! a doctor, a teacher with tons of books around her or a singer or a skateboarder!!!! the thing is limitless!!!!
    I used a flair that comes with a face, then for the crown, I clipped one of the template's crown with a paper which I also used for the skirt, and added a crown that was in one of my kits,
    The wings are also from a kit, the blouse part of the dress is a piece of paper cut in a rough circle then I erased to let the arms show more natural, and added the little flowers as a collar.
    There are tons of shoes in kits of you want to go for legs, but you can not have legs,
    Also, for the dress, you can clip one paper but then add stuff on top to make it more fancy...is to have fun more than anything!!!! Like when we were little and play dressing dolls!!!
    If you have girls, daughters , nieces, grandchildren, think is like sitting with them to play Barbie o Polly Pockets or whatever they c all them these days LOL I made dresses for Sarita's dollies when she was little, and we had a blast dressing them up!!!
    well, in here, you get the clothes almost ready!!!!
    Also the page doesn't need to tell ME anything...doesn't need to have a meaning (of course it can if you wish!!!!!) I made the first one on a time theme as I will be 60 this year .... and time flies...so I thought of Dawn's winged clock and was perfect!!!! the suitcase is from Kim Jensen 's part of a collab which I think she still has her part, it was a summer one, I ll look it up, because my doll loves traveling (I do!!!) and the umbrella as we have been having really difficult time, weather and life all alike :giggle

In my first page I used a textured paper from Lynn Grieveson clipped to the dress, then added the clock with wings which is from a Dawn Inskip kit, the boots I just cut a piece of paper and erased around the feet of the template... the face, arms (even though in my first doll you can't see them) are a neutral tone paper layered under and erased the borders.
    There is so much you can use to dress the doll up, flowers, beads, metal pieces, but in not so many words:
    You can use the template parts, clip a paper of the colors that the images or the music (or both together!) inspire you (no need to be seasonal, what you feel, what you like, it goes !!) and clip , put the parts together..... and then make the page around as full or as empty as you like!!!!! We wont be using photos here, but I use dolls a lot with "normal" photo pages, I will grab an example and show you.

I will also put together a series of products you may like to use, you do NOT need art journal stuff or mixed media, of course you can use if you like, but you can make dolls that will look awesome with "normal" kits!!!!

If you are still having trouble, tag me or pm me and I can work with you to help you decide what you want, or if you have never used a template, we can help you to learn how to clip too, is super easy!!!!!
    SO anything, give us a shout!!!
    :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub
    Can;t wait to see what you all make!!!!
    :goldstars

a few products that can help you (faces, mouth , eyes, ) but you go for a faceless doll if you think is easier for you, j :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ll try make time to come link you up with more products :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    MrsGaramer, Mylinn and lulyg14 like this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Thank you!! My challenge is always in execution. I have great ideas that I see I my head, but I can’t seem to translate them well...

MrsPeel and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is so me, too!! Going to be thinking about this one all day at work and hopefully it will come out like I picture it.

Wonderful explanation, Cynthia :)

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. lulyg14

lulyg14 Testosterone Overload

I’m confused on the face part. Since the template will only give you a solid “block” to work with....it seems like you need an element from a kit. Suggestions would be welcome since I don’t work with dolls... at least up till now

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

I have never done dolls. I have an idea in mind. Is there a boy doll in these templates . I need a boy for my idea.

6. MrsPeel

@lulyg14 I ll get you some links in a bit, but you can leave the face blank idf you want., In my first page I used a doodle from Tangie, then in the second is a flair from Paula Kesselring, it come ready, be back in a bit with product suggestions!!! :)
    Anne Marie made the doll be sitting not facing the LO, sje made the back...added her a hat,
    there are products that have lips, even eyes but if you think is easier, you could stick a hat that would cover half of the face and made two dots from text be the nose!!!! but I ll bring some suggestions!!!!

and you two? Jan @IntenseMagic I know you for almost 8 years and you have talent to give sell and give more!!!!!!
    and @Pachimac granted I don't know you much, but judging from what I see?
    you will rock it!!!!!!!!!!!! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

7. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

If you have any M3 kits there are some that have faces, painted women, illustrations of women etc. in them that you can use. Or you could just clip some paper to the face shape and draw eyes, nose and mouth yourself (in my case that would be like stick man). I was going to suggest to use your own face (or soneone else's) from a photo, but I am not sure @MrsPeel would consider that a violation of the no-photo rule. Still, art dolls often are made with cut out faces from magazines or photos, so maybe she would be lenient.

lulyg14 and MrsPeel like this.
  8. MrsPeel

yes, I wont mind a photo of you or someone else providing that you cut the face only, ...make the hair or a hat, something, ... Angela made her face less, I have made faces using a font, make a semicircle for the mouth and a couple of dots for the nose..... but you can also leave it faceless.... I mean, the whole point of this is to make you think about what you can create..... but I did say you can go as simple as you want :) so faceless is fine :)

@lulyg14
    here is the box od flairs I got my face on the seond face from:
    [​IMG]

Angela Toucan and lulyg14 like this.
  9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Cynthia, this is truly fun. I’m working on the face and it is a bit weird but fun. Love that you are pushing our buttons here...love :heartslubart journaling but rarely do it, so this is really good for me.:crazy3

10. Miss Becki...

Miss Becki... Active Member

Hi! I've never made an art doll before, and I have VERY limited experience with both templates and PSE12 (I had not used either before this MOC). So... I have PSE12 open, I've downloaded the doll template, I opened a dress, but I can't figure out how to resize the dress. What am I missing?

Thx for your help... i'm going to try hard not to blow up this thread, lol!

11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

12. zippyoh

zippyoh Well-Known Member

I kissed the frog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk