10 Days of Challenges | Day 4: Earliest Christmas Memory

Discussion in '2019 Archive' started by bcnatty, Jul 22, 2019.

1. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Hello everyone!!

I hope that the first few days of our little Christmas in July celebration has been fun and informative and helpful for you all!!

I am here today to help you tackle even more Christmas memories!
    We are going to go back...way back and create a layout about your earliest Christmas, or winter (if you don't celebrate Christmas) childhood memory!!

This is a journaling challenge, so you must tell me about your memory using at least 100 words.

Here is my layout about my memories with my younger sister and how we used to try to train ourselves to stay up later and later each day to try to catch a peek of Santa Clause. Please ignore the horrible hairstyles....80's fail (thanks to my mom and her wonderful sense of style):lmao

[​IMG]

I cannot wait to see and read about your earliest memories of Christmas!!

Reminder: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and to this thread.

Everyone who completes all 10 of our challenges will get a $3 coupon. And one random "10 challenge finisher" will get a $10 coupon. Challenges close Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 11:59pm EDT.

umyesh likes this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I don't have photos of my childhood Christmases. But I have a few of my kids'. I used one of those. Doubtful I can recall any early childhood memories of my own, anyway, lol!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This should be fun. I have a picture of this day somewhere in my Moms old photos. Christmas 1967 - 3 years old. I’ll edit my page into this space to keep the thread clear of chatter posts.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the challenge. My Dad isn't quite my Dad anymore because he has dementia, so this was really lovely for me to remember how he was.

cinziahart_xmas_in_july_2019_1st_xmas_memory.jpg

AJK likes this.
  5. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Such memories - some good some not so good, but so important
    [​IMG]

6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge, Nat! I already have this double page in my Travelers Notebook, but made a layout afterward. It felt good to write about some of my Christmas memories.

[​IMG]

8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

153 words. The photo is an earlier one than what I journal about, but it is one of me and my Aunt Cathy.

[​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  9. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Well I searched my memory bank and found that this is the first memory I have of Christmas and the very first secret I ever kept! However, I had no photo of mother in the fur coat so I searched the internet, found a photo of a 40's fur much like I think hers was, took her out of a 40's photo that I had and put the fur on her. The hat is not hers but I couldn't figure out how to get it out of the photo. Ahhh ... the magic of the internet and Photoshop! The photo of daddy and me is probably about 1942 but it reminds me so of that era. So ... that's the story of the layout.

[​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  10. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

[​IMG]
    Some of my first childhood memories of Christmas revolve around the excitement of Santa. My Mom and Dad always tried to make Christmas a fun, happy time. I remember we would go to town to visit Santa in his house. His house was right on the corner downtown. It was so exciting. We would then get to go to a hole in the wall diner for a hamburger. I still remember how phenomenal they tasted. I was hoping to find a photo from the old Santa house but I couldn’t. It did surprise me to see that St. Joe revived the tradition of a Santa house. I know memory plays tricks on your mind but I don’t think it is as cool as the one we had as a child. But I am glad that a new generation of kids will get to have special Christmas memories. Happy memories for me and for them. It was always nicer to visit Santa when it was snowy.

bcnatty likes this.
  11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

This was fun! I came up with two stories but I think this memory came first so maybe the other one will fit an upcoming challenge.
    [​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  12. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member

Not a specific memory, but how I felt Christmas when I was a child (Miss those days...)

[​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  13. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

14. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I enjoyed making this. Thanks for the challenge.
    [​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  15. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

16. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

17. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    bcnatty likes this.
  18. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I couldn't remember a particular memory from my childhood, just a hodge-podge of not particular nice ones all mixed up together. So I went with the first memory that came to mind of my daughter's early Christmases. That's the best I could do.[​IMG]

bcnatty likes this.
  19. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

[​IMG]
    journaling reads:
    I was around 4-5 years old, it was a winter and I was home with mom; dad wasn't home. I remember it being already too dark, but it could have been around 6 p.m. I was playing with my mom and then dad came home. When he opened the door, he brought inside the house what I call "the smell of the cold weather". I remember feeling very relieved upon his return. I was a bit worried with him being outside in such a cold weather (we didn't own a car then). I still love this smell to this day, because it was far more than just a smell: it was also the joy to see him again. And now that's he's gone, this early childhood memory holds a special place in my heart.

bcnatty likes this.