10 Day Detox: It's killing me...

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by jenevang, May 24, 2014.

1. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

Just wondering, Jen ... have you considered how things will go once you have finished your program? Does the program even address maintaining your loss once you've finished and have returned to eating regular food, and/or a normal daily caloric intake?

I only ask because I've seen a lot of people have wonderful results on horribly restrictive diet plans only to turn around and gain everything, plus more! back once they've returned to their "normal" way of eating.

My sister and her husband are a case in point ... they've done the HCG diet three times (maybe more) now, very expensive! and a very restrictive diet (500 calories per day intake)! with medication, with outrageously FABULOUS results each and every time ... a few months after completing the program they're right back to where they started ... every single time.

Have you considered something that is more of a "lifestyle change?" The first one that comes to mind is Weight Watchers. TONS of people have had TONS of success on it, it is relatively inexpensive and it teaches you to make better choices relative to what you eat and how you eat it. PLUS ... you don't starve while on the program, nor do you feel deprived ... you'd be able to have your beloved coffee and diet coke on the plan! ... all of which is absolutely essential to successfully completing any diet regime and with long term success.

I promise I don't work for Weight Watchers. ;)

Wishing you TONS of success in achieving and maintaining your goal. :) :)

2. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Thanks, Katherine. And yes, the "after" has been stressing me out. I am actually very familiar with WW online and was successful with it once (between baby 3 & 4). I just needed a jump start and needed the scale to MOVE a little.

As a follow up. I lost 9 lbs in my 10 days and have been off the "detox" now for 5 days. So far, I've actually lost one more pound. I am SERIOUSLY changing my eating habits. Snacking on fruits and veges only. Very minimal meat. No red meat (yet). No coffee or diet coke (this is the hardest thing, LOL). It took 3 days to get over my caffeine HA and I just don't want to go back right now. So, it's WATER only for me right now. Or vege juice (which is kind of gross, LOL).

I am cooking for my family a little healthier and just not eating what they eat if I think it'll set me back. For example, I cooked them quesadillas, rice and beans for lunch today. I ate yogurt and an apple. Am I still a little hungry? yes. Will I survive? yes. Do I need more protein? yes, so I'll have some chicken or beans tonight.

Last night, I grilled vegetable and pineapple kabobs and they just stared at me, LOL. I also pulled out a rotisserie chicken and some rice, so they forgave me :giggle

I have also started my WW online again. Have been paying for it for months and not doing it fully (shame on me). I have 30 more pounds to lose to feel more healthy, and I do not expect to do it quickly.

Honestly, I just needed to feel like I was getting somewhere. And now I do. Although I'm impatient, LOL.

3. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Wow Jen - congrats!!! I wish you continued health & success- please keep updating us - your totally motivating me and I'm sure others!

4. Katherine B

:yahoo :yahoo

HUGE congratulations! That is quite impressive!

I JUST signed up! On-line too. I don't plan on attending any meetings, pretty confident I'll be good to go on my own. :)

Maybe we keep can each other motivated, share meal plans, recipes, et al? Tips and tricks too, to help ward off those pesky cravings that seem to strike at the most inopportune times ... like late into the evening while scrapbooking/art journaling. :huh

5. jenevang

OMGosh. YES. I would so love an accountability partner! I've just added you as a friend on FB so we can bug each other about it :).

6. Katherine B

Awwesommeeee! I'll go accept ... and then off to watch Game of Thrones ... scared to death what they're going to do after last weeks episode! :huh

7. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

Jen, you are crazy! keep it up! I can't do anything that would restrict my calories. Two weeks ago, I finally signed up at jillianmichaels.com and have lost exactly 1/2 kg per week, which is my goal. plus, I'm getting stronger, and my waist has gone down a couple inches! yay! I am doing the circuits and i did some research on how many calories I should be eating a day to maintain my weight, and then went to 20%, turns out, I can eat a lot more than I originally thought. I was trying to restrict my diet to 1200 calories a day and i could not do it. it was frustrating. if I stay around 1500, then I'm happy, and losing!

I am throwing this out there for after your detox. because you can't stay detoxing forever and you have to go back to a normal eating plan after, right? but it has to be a change, and you should probably make your family change with you. Mine hate it when I make them eat salad. tough beans. Husband eats his fill at work, and after dinner he'll eat whatever he wants. since it's just the kids and me for lunches, which are our big meals, I function pretty well, making them eat what I eat (vegan). So I guess I am lucky that way. and I don't buy cookies, candy or chocolate, or anything processed that would tempt me. and when my husband does, i make him hide it so i can't find it. :P

i also signed up for a 30 day boot camp at fitwatch. it's about learning how to count calories. that, combined with jillian's tips and advice opened up a whole new world of portion control. I had NO idea!

Anyway, you must be nearly done with your detox, keep going, and then after it's over, keep going then! you can do it!!

8. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Hi Jen,
    I'm just reading this now. I'm so impressed with your willpower and your results! Well done, you.
    Just wanted to throw in my support. Keep it up! :)

9. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Way to go Jen!!! Hope all is still going well and that you are continueing to lost some weight! It is an everyday struggle. I have been actively tracking my steps with my fitbit yet, and always making sure to get to 10,000 steps. I haven't been doing the fitnesspal like I should be, and still not eating great, but currently maintaining, which is good for me. Amazing that as we get older we have to work that much harder on staying healthy!

10. Kegger

Kegger Well-Known Member

Go Jen! It's so nice to see that you've got a plan and are carrying on after the detox. I think everyone expects miracle results (myself included - Why am I not shifting any weight even with MFP and Fitbit :() but its the patience of making habit changes, so that it is a natural decision to eat healthier than "crap what do I eat tonight" (which is what I constantly do!). It's a bit like Project 365 in that way, I'm on day 900 something and its second nature. Hmm... I wonder if I can hack my brain to do something similar like eat an apple a day :P

11. jenevang

Thanks, guys. Just an update (for my accountability). It's been a little over a month since I started this. My detox was only 10 day, but I've tried really hard to make some big changes in my diet and exercise since then. My total loss is 14 lbs but admittedly most of it was during the 1st 10 days. Regardless, it's still slowly coming off and not going back on, which I'm happy about.

Now, next week is vacation and I'll be doing a lot of Theme Park eating... I'm nervous about that, but trying to plan ahead. Let's just hope my backpack doesn't get searched going into the parks, LOL.

12. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

You can do it Jen! Look how far you've come! It's not worth it to mess all that up in a theme park. You go girl!!! :woot

13. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

That's fantastic, Jen! So proud of you!! :D

14. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Awesome job Jen!! You have WAY more willpower than I do!! It sounds like you're doing a great job...and you're gonna do awesome on your trip!!

15. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

Congratulations on what you have accomplished!!!

I took a 4 week vegan challenge back in Febuary - no animal products what so ever, no expressed oils, and no processed foods. I completed the challenge and stuck with the vegan diet... the oils and the processes foods not so much! My weight hasn't really changed but my blood pressure and choloestrol ROCKS!
    http://engine2diet.com/28-day-challenge/
    and I am thinking of doing a juice detox myself. Joe Cross from Fat Sick and Nearly Dead has a great reboot program
    http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/Rebooting/

Keep up the great work!