My version of scrap retreat prep is....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by busywoman139, Apr 5, 2018.

1. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

a new laptop that will run PS well!!! I'm headed out at the end of April with a few scrappy friends for our 3rd annual weekend scrap retreat! I didn't have a big budget but I am happy with all this little guy has under the hood for my price range. Anyone have any go to weekend-scrap-retreat-page-prep tips to share?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I leave for one in 2 weeks, so I need to get prepping too! For me, it is setting a goal. Something like finish x pages, or finish x album, or get as much done as I can on x. So then the question is, do I pick out the good pictures ahead of time or do I plan to spend time at the retreat doing that too?

Or am I going to hang out with friends, maybe take a hike, go on a photo shoot, and enjoy being away from home? I once hosted a scrapbook weekend for some ladies - and one of them just spent the weekend taking bubble baths in the Jacuzzi and going to the fitness center (we were at a resort).

I am hoping to have my 2017 album done before then, so that I can focus on 2018, or one of the 3 vacations I need to scrap. I might scrap like crazy to finish 2017 and then pick out all the pictures for the oldest vacation before I go. Then when I am there see if I can get it done. But if the weather is nice, I am hiking with my camera as we will be in the mountains and it is spring.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    AJK and busywoman139 like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Have fun at your scrap retreats. I have only been to one, back when I was paper scrapping and it wasn't very much fun for me, so I've never been to another. It might be fun to go as a digi scrapper, though. I didn't like dragging all the stuff with me. Some of those women pulled cart loads of totes with them. LOL

busywoman139 likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It depends. If I'm going with friends? My goal is to enjoy myself, scrapping is secondary. If I'm going to a big convention type where I don't know anyone? My goal is to scrap.
    I have gone through and found photos that I want to scrap, added in a shortcut to the kit I want to use so I'm not spending hours browsing photos. But, I've also done that before too! Planned on the retreat being a photo tagging/organizing catch up session. It can depend on my mood.

I also take licorice and water. I like licorice, and it doesn't make my hands sticky or cheesy or salty, so my keyboard stays clean!

I also did a paper scrap one a few times - I hated lugging the bag, and trying to plan page kits, and all that jazz! Taking my laptop, extension cord, and EHD is much much easier! @Cherylndesigns

busywoman139 likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

^^^^

Exactly. That’s why I find events like MOC or a event weekend far better

bestcee likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Whenever I'm doing a scrap weekend, my goal is to scrap and scrap A LOT! :giggle If that is your goal, something that I've been doing for a couple years now to prep ahead of time is to create a folder for each page I would like to finish that weekend. Inside that folder I will copy the best pictures from that event (so I don't have to spend time doing that at the crop) and then I will even pick out which kits and template I want to use. Then I create a shortcut link to that kit and template inside that folder. Or at the very least just copy the preview of the kit into the scrap folder. Doing all of that ahead of time drastically reduces the time I have to spend on that at a retreat. AND I also do it because when I'm at a retreat, I'm talking with friends too and I get too distracted to concentrate on hunting for kits or pictures while I'm chatting. Lol!

Congrats on the fun new computer Sarah! That's always super fun! @busywoman139

ashleywb, busywoman139 and BevG like this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't keep any of my kits or photos on my laptop so in order to get ready, I make sure everything is up to date on my EHD. I have a day crop on my calendar for 2 weeks from now so I have already made sure my laptop was still working. I don't use it at home and had not been away to scrap since Win10 was installed on it when the upgrade was still free. It works but seems slower with Win10. Then I updated the EHD I have always used and found it was too small. So I bought another one and have got it updated. I will do a quick update the day before to make sure everything is updated.

I don't usually set goals or plan on what I'm going to work on because my mood dictates what I want to do. So some retreats (I have been to lots) and day crops I will get a lot done. Others are just to get away and socialize.

In fact, the day crop in a couple of weeks I am actually considering not even taking my scrapping. I have a counted cross stitch I want to get finished and the pup is always wanting on my lap when working on it. So I can't work on it at home. The other gals there have been known to do knitting or even planning out quilts at past day crops. We're a flexible group :)

busywoman139 and BevG like this.
  8. busywoman139

I like the idea of setting a goal! My initial thought is, I'll scrap a total of 8 pages - the April Challenges! I am pretty sure I can accomplish that if I have at least a partial plan for photos/story ideas. LOL about the lady who spent the weekend taking bubble baths! :)

LOL! Yes, I go with 2-3 paper scrappers and I bring the least amount of stuff by far!

My goal is about 75% scrap and 25% relax/social :)

Thanks Karen!! Great tips - I am going to make this my prepping goal!!

I know I need a goal, if I don't - I will get lost just searching through my EHD. But I can be flexible too and go with the flow if the mood or inspiration strikes :)

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the tips and feedback!

Karen and bestcee like this.
  9. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have never been to a scrap retreat but I sure would like to but I also enjoy spending time with my hubby so I don't know that I would want to spend my vacation budget on just me.

bestcee likes this.
  10. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

I went to a few CKU events back in my paper scrapping days. I don’t remember getting much done but I LOVED being around people who shared my memory-keeping passion. I would love to go to one just for digital scrappers - do such events exist?? Mostly I’d love to meet some of you!

Karen likes this.
  11. BevG

@ElizabethW - They do. The one I am going to is both traditional and digital and any other craft people are willing to bring. Last year, one lady quilted (brought her sewing machine) and another made fairy gardens.

Nothing near your house? How about hosting one? I have been to ones at meeting rooms in hotels, retreat centers, or even one day crops in neighborhood clubhouse, civic club meeting rooms, etc. I hosted an annual weekend crop for many years using my timeshare vacation week so that we had a place to stay. The one I am going to in a couple of weeks is at a retreat/summer camp location about 4 hours from my house.

Karen and ElizabethW like this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've never been to one but I have scrapped on cruises so not a lot of chatter. I had all the photos and the supplies I planned to use on a small portable drive and got a good amount of a former trip done. I had no company and didn't need the net so it was quiet. Deciding on the digital products - templates and papers - helped a lot. I could alway add elements at home but then I'm not much on extra elements.

Set limited goals so you can Have fun! :nod

Karen likes this.
  13. busywoman139

I can understand that as well; this option is fairly economical at about $100 for the weekend between splitting the cost of the space and sharing in making the meals.

The one I go to, I'm the only digi scrapper! I met these ladies via the Simple Scrapper website/membership.

14. busywoman139

Come to think of it.....I totally should see if @norton94 can come the next time around!!! And anyone else who is near or wants to travel to central Iowa :)

norton94 likes this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Congrats on the new computer! Woo Hooo!

I used to paper scrap with SU and make cards and such! We held classes and cropped. Most of the time I helped, gabbed and didn't get much done. We also had a weekend retreat once in Vermont at a Bed and Breakfast - that was awesome, and also paper related. So hard to travel with paper scrap goodies. I also got to go to a SU scrap convention, but that was more about product and sales than actual creating.

I also went to a digital get together/convention, Digiscrapalooza, in 2012 and got to meet a bunch of the scrappers in my computer. I was a quiet gabber, lol, but didn't scrap much, but learned a lot and got to meet everyone! I met @Scrapping with Liz @gonewiththewind and so many more! It was so fun to meet the friends in my computer.

My house is too small for a crop, but I would totally set one up, but really have no clue how to start.

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've been to a few retreats and have met some amazing ladies. I have found that having at least a handful of photos and 5-10 layouts in mind with accompanying kits really helps a lot. I ended up socializing quite a bit so I didn't scrap as much as I thought I would, but I loved knowing that I had things to scrap if and when I wanted to. I was distracted by conversations that I was having and that were going on around me, so having choices already made was key to me getting anything done. LOL

littlekiwi and Karen like this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

For those that don't know of crops in your area, see if you can find consultants in your area for Creative Memories. I know in my area many of them have day crops or retreats. They do sell digital items as well as paper so they don't turn any one away (at least the ones I know). If there is a local scrapbooking store in your area, check with them. A lot of times they will hold crops themselves or have a bulletin board that people can advertise crops or retreats. Facebook is another place to look.

I was a member of a scrapbooking forum (still am) for many years and about 10 years ago a group of girls in one area decided to get together for a retreat. That spurred people from other areas of the country to put together retreats as well. I went to a lot of retreats because of that forum, in several different states... Ohio (where I live), Michigan, Virginia, Alabama and even Ontario Canada. I've made friends from all over the country and even Australia. @bonnenuit being one of them (ask her where all she has gone to scrap)! Many of us started out taking our paper supplies but many have switched to digital. Some still do both.

Because of my friendship with some of the Ohio girls I have been to retreats put on by CM consultants. A bunch of us from that forum even took a cruise together in 2010... one of the forum members is a travel agent and with the help of another girl, they planned everything. Probably 20 members of the forum and with some spouses/family member, we ended up with over 40 people in our group. What is funny about the cruise is that there was a scrapbooking "event" on board the ship and none of us went to it! We spent our week getting lots of photos to scrap and getting to know our axe murdering internet friends for real.

I've missed my retreat/crop time with my scrappy friends but life threw several of us curve balls in late 2015/2016. Now that things have settled down for us, we are hoping to get together every couple of months just for girl time. First one is this month!

BevG and Karen like this.
  18. BevG

If you have a table, invite a few friends over, feed them, and scrap. :)

When I was a Creative Memories consultant before the bankruptcy, I held an all day crop once a month at my house. I charged $10 to cover pizza, drinks, and snacks. That was fun. Then once a year in the fall, I hosted a weekend retreat using my timeshare. We made many trips to Williamsburg, VA since it is just under 3 hours from my house and I was always able to get a place with a Friday afternoon check-in. Those were fun times!!

I also went to crops at various locations in town - basically anywhere that is willing to rent you the space and some tables for a few hours or a day. Or at someone's house who has a table big enough to hold 6 to 8 people.

Most people are just looking for a place to get away from regular distractions and focus on scrapping (or crafting) for a few hours. Doing it with friends is an added bonus!

Probably word of month is the best way to find others that are interested.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    HavaDrPepper and jk703 like this.
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

True.... but none of my IRL friends scrap. I almost had one start, but she soon found other crafty ways - she is a crafter by nature. :) I must give it a search though... and try to go by myself. (Scary!):giggle

20. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

My number one rule for going to a retreat is to back up before you go!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are carrying computer equipment around a lot and setting up in new places so you are more likely to have an issue that can cause you to lose files (dropped hard drive or computer, power issues, or just moving stuff can make something that is close to dying actually die). I go to our cabin to scrap with a couple of girlfriends twice/year. It's one of my favorite things and I bring my computer with me. I did have a hard drive die when I got back one weekend -- not sure what caused it but I was so, so glad it was backed up!

Tree City likes this.