The things you say.. | Pad Patter Jan 4

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jan 4, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

...that you're pretty sure other's don't.

Do you find yourself or your family using phrases that are kind of unique to you?

I feel like I shouldn't have to say it but I can't tell you how often we say 'Don't fall in the dishwasher!" because well, that happened once or actually twice, and we have a galley kitchen with the dishwasher in front of the laundry access door as well as opposite the pantry, two highly utilised areas, but i am sure no one else uses this phrase ever! That and "Leave my feet alone", we say that to our bird on a regular, many times a day at the moment, basis because it's apparently not uncommon for cockatiels to alternately befriend and attack feet - I know, you are so jealous of my life right now... go on, make me feel like I'm not the only one saying weird random things everyday!

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This made me remember that I want to create layout about a saying of my Dad's ( died back in 2005) as I at times say it. He used to say " Watchacallie" which of course is not a real word but was what he said when he could not think of the name of whatever he was looking for or wanted to say something about.
    Now I say it at times when the name of something does not come straight to my mind... I think working in Aged Care the dementia is rubbing off on me. :crazy3

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Does "Stop Chasing the Dog" count? Sigh. I say that all the time! I know there's other things. Let me thing about it.

4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

You are so funny, Justine! :)

When my mom gets irritated, she says, "You're getting on my last good nerve." If she feels someone isn't being honest with her, she will jokingly say to them, "Tell the truth and shame the devil."

Where she got either of these, I have no idea. She didn't start saying them until I was in my 30's.

LoveItScrapIt, bellbird and bestcee like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have heard this from more than one person. I wonder if someone used it in a TV show.

Our family creates it own inside jokes or meanings from time to time. This summer we were at my parent's for a cook out and there was this whole confusion argument over some sausages/bratwurst my mom had bought (or thought she had bought) and what my dad had grilled for us. They were arguing over which ones were the spicy ones. Finally my dad said "You told me to cook them, so I just cooked them." Anyway, for weeks after, whenever someone at our house started to argue or was confused, one of us would say "remember the bratwurst" and then we would all laugh to release the tension.

Then one time our oldest son was visiting us (he has his own house) and a sibling offered him some mint chocolate chip ice cream. When he got the carton out of the freezer he said, "You didn't tell me it was Moose Tracks!!". So that line has become an exclamation of surprise when things are better than expected -- because everyone knows Moose Tracks ice cream is way better than regular ice cream.

Chippi, londoncuppa and bellbird like this.
  6. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I can't really think of any phrases right now but there's a few words I must say a LOT around here as my 4 year old son (who is deaf and has had cochlear implants for about 8 months now) is starting to repeat a lot of what he hears...and he says 'now' all the time. I've learned that I say "now listen" before almost everything I say to him - it gets him to know that he needs to focus & really listen to what I'm saying. All my kids laugh when he says it because he's copying me. So I guess you could say that is a unique phrase around here.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh gosh, I know we have a lot, but I am drawing a complete blank right now lol As soon as someone says something I'll come back and share.

bellbird likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh the 'what-cha-ma-call-its' and 'thinga-ma-jigs' we have them here too when i just can't think of the word!

Chippi likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love the bratwurst story! And i'm so glad you explained the Moose Tracks exclamation because we don't have that brand here as far as I know so he'd be bitterly disappointed with our icecream selection!

bestcee likes this.
  10. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

This immediately reminded me of the time we took our then 4 y/o grand daughter to WDW. That morning as we loaded the car, she ask her PeePop "what the h*** are you doing?" and to end our day I found myself telling her "don't lick the deoderant". We had forgotten how precocious 4 y/o's are, lmao!!!

So now, we still randomly say "don't lick the deoderant" instead of goodnight. ♡

Chippi, BevG and Karen like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

You are my kind of people!

Danyale likes this.
  12. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

LOL This thread is the best!!

My oldest son (now 22) could not say "tomatoes" when he was little. He called them "taymoes"... we still call them that! Also when he was little we'd tell him "soon" or "wait a minute" when he wanted to do or have something... he started saying "soon-a-minute"... so we have kept this one also!

My husband's family says someone is a "P.D.T." when they do something silly or foolish or just plain not smart. PDT stands for Poor Dumb Thing. And it is always said with love!! <3

bellbird and Jan like this.
  13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is something good that I'm not recalling at the moment.

Off the top of my head, I say "Because we support each other!" to the often asked "Why do I have to go to <sibling's event>?" They are always trying to get out of going to each other's competitions, performances, and recognitions, and it's gotten to where they are asking and answering it all by themselves. With three kids -- one of them in four(!) different bands and two of them on separate robotics teams -- we do things together a lot and they don't appreciate it! LOL

(I will mention that I don't make them go to *all* of the band kid's performances; just at least one for each unique program. *I* go to all of the marching band and winter drumline/percussion performances, but I only make the family go to the last one -- the most polished -- each season, unless they volunteer to accompany me to others.)

bestcee likes this.
  14. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

"Can you see the Golden Gate Bridge?"

I can't even remember the whole context that my family started saying this - I can remember that it was during one of our many trips to San Francisco so maybe we were trying to make sure my little brother could see it? Not sure. But we use it all the time now!
    Someone goes on vacation and sends the family a photo: "Oh, pretty mountains, but can you see the Golden Gate Bridge?"
    Planning a trip: "Are you going to see the Golden Gate Bridge?"
    And the few times we have actually seen the bridge again, we send each other a photo to proclaim that "yes, it IS the Golden Gate Bridge!"

bestcee, BevG and Karen like this.
  15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

"Boogers don't go there!" is something I've said too frequently and hope never to say again.

Chippi, bestcee, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

"Hey Dad, do you want to make pigs in a blanket?"

My husband loves to use up leftovers in the fridge. One day he saw hot dogs and some refrigerator biscuits in a can. He completely wrapped a hot dog in biscuits and put it in the toaster oven to cook. 10 minutes later the toaster oven was on fire because the biscuits expanded and touched the heating element. We've never let him forget it, either! :rofl

bestcee, Jan and Karen like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Most of the random funny things like this in our house originated with my sister.... for instance whenever I get hurt, I yell out "my scoliosis!" because that's something she blurted out in college one time when she stubbed her toe. My other roommate and I thought it was so funny that we just started saying it for any hurt. Lol!

Also, when it's time to leave and my kids are going slow, we say "Let's G-O-G-O-A" and you have to spell it out. I don't know why, but again something my sister said once and it stuck... and I will add she is a terrible speller, but I would hope she knew that was wrong. Ha ha!

I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now. The best is when my kids are catching on to our quirky things and say them now. :)

18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My son, at some point, started to say "not my faulty" whenever I asked who did this or who did that ... I have two kids (3 if you count my hubby :giggle) ... and my son would blurt that out before I would even finish my question.

Now we all kind of say it.

bellbird likes this.
  19. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

these are great little things to put on scrapbook pages ... fun to read this thread! :)

20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

My mind is blank...but I do say at least once a day to someone in the house "have you lost your ever-loving mind?"