Rock Painting

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Sep 26, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

You're welcome!! I'd love to find one too! So much fun!

Yes!! I think the kids would have a blast with this! The possibilities on how they could paint them or doing decoupage is endless!

KittyY likes this.
  2. CherryAllie

CherryAllie Active Member

@GlazeFamily3 Boo to the drama!! Luckily there was none of that here. The rocks you painted are BEAUTIFUL.

bbymks5 and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'd love to paint some for my garden as plant markers. Otherwise I think they're very, very cool, but I've too many other hobbies to take on one more!

bbymks5 likes this.
  4. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

We do and have been doing this since the Spring! My middle loves it the best. She even has a secret admirer that found one of her rocks in our community. They wrote her a letter, gave her a clean rock and asked for her to paint one just for them!! I love this Kindness Rocks movement and love the new friends that I've made through it!

So far, with over 40,000 people in my area's group, I've only found two rocks since it became a big deal here this Spring. Somehow we don't have luck finding them! :D

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. Neverland Scraps

I believe nationwide Michaels is doing the Kindness Rocks. It's all over their website. Here they've been doing it every Saturday, including the supplies!!
    http://www.michaels.com/rockchallenge

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. bbymks5

That would be so cute!! I can see it now! Each plant has it's own special rock marking what it is! Yes!!
    I only have scrapbooking so I think I can take on one more LOL!

Awww!! That's so sweet!! I bet she was thrilled with a special request!! Oh WOW!! There's less than 2,000 in the local group to my area...40,000 mind-blowing!!

You sound like you have my luck LOL!! I think it would be just as fun hiding them though! Like hiding Easter eggs for kids!! It would be fun to watch someone try and find them too! Rock cam!!

I'm going to check that link out right now!! Thank you!! :)

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Here too. It seemed to replace the Pokemon fad about last February.

Your rocks are gorgeous! There were those debates happening on the Las Vegas group too, ugh. We found one and my son refuses to let me rehide it. We painted some, but we haven't hid them yet. Maybe next month when it's cooler.

There are a ton of Facebook groups for neighboring towns too in my area. It's a cool thing that's going around.

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Our town does this.
    Alamo Rocks! and some say, post on FB and rehide.
    Some businesses have added, bring in for little gift
    or a percent off purchase.
    Rehiding is the big thing right now!
    Our library does a monthly rock painting group! tee hee
    it is a big thing here!

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. bbymks5

I must live under a rock for just finding out about this LOL!!

I've been doing a little bit of research on the best way to decoupage or transfer a photo to a rock and I think I'm going to try printing on tissue paper and then decoupaging that to the rock! I'm REALLY hoping it will come out!

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I had a feeling you were talking about that LO ... I saw it thought it was adorable! If my kids were little I would consider doing it as a summer activity - it looks fun! totally makes you want to get out some paint and brushes ... and go on a hunt for smooth rocks! :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  11. bbymks5

I'll let you virtually borrow my youngest and you can paint and hide rocks LOL!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

aww, you are sweet .... :beat

bbymks5 likes this.
  13. bbymks5

I think we found an okayish rock...gave it one quick coat of white paint and will do another one once it dries. I found some washable tattoo paper in my stash so I think I'm going to give that a try and see if works! I'll make a page and post later.

bestcee likes this.
  14. Neverland Scraps

The people here have been printing the Suicide Prevention Awareness flyers and making sure the number is on the rock. They've been decoupaging them to the rocks and hiding them. So tissue paper will work, as will normal paper.

Just remember to get waterproof mod podge or when it rains/snows it will remove the paint/image off your rock.

bbymks5 likes this.
  15. bbymks5

Putting the suicide hotline number on the back is a great idea, I never would have thought of that!

I tried printing on tissue paper that was washi taped to regular printer paper...my printer was not amused and the Mod Podge made the ink bleed a bit...I'm thinking a laser printer would be the way to go and then using the Mod Podge. Going to give that a try this weekend.

16. Neverland Scraps

Yeah it would have to be a laser printer otherwise the ink will bleed when wet with the mod podge. I buy Krylon Clear Gloss at Walmart and we spray them as a sealer...so much easier than getting messy with mod podge.

If you are looking for ideas, information...feel free to check out 719 Rocks! on FB. That's one of my groups as there are a lot of spin-offs for each part of the area. But that group, always bustling with ideas, inspirations and beautiful rocks!

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. bbymks5

A spray sealer is a good idea!! I'll have to check out your FB group!! Thank you!! :)