Rock Painting

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Sep 26, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@jagruti patel made a really cool layout showcasing some super cute painted rocks! I just found out there's a couple groups on FB for our area where people paint rocks and leave clues as to where they can be found, whoever finds them then posts a photo. They can either keep it or leave it for someone else to find.

Does anyone do this in your area? I cannot paint to save my life, but was thinking maybe I could decoupage some bigger rocks to hide??

Mylinn and cfile like this.
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I know people are doing it all over my area and it looks so fun. I just haven't had time to paint or go in search of painted rocks. I would love to do it though!

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. bbymks5

@IntenseMagic It sounds like so much fun!! I have a couple friends who have found some really pretty rocks! Some very talented people out there in the world!

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@bbymks5 it's like crafty geocaching! I see friends posting on FB all the time about rocks they have found and hid. I think I even saw where some classrooms were doing it. Might be an idea for my students to try. We like to do crafty things a few times a year.

Tree City and bbymks5 like this.
  5. bbymks5

Your class would love it!! If you end up doing it, you have to make a couple pages!

I've always wanted to try geocaching too! I need to see how active the Valley is, and brought it up to my husband when we were up north that we should look into when we take day trips! It'll give a little something extra do while out and about.

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My sister's kids in Michigan found a rock from their town about 30 miles away in a Walmart parking lot. So there was discussion about whether to take it "home" or leave it so it could travel onward. They decided to move it onward. Their town had people paint and place rocks with the town name on it to help track where they went. That would make it fun!

My SIL camps at the same campground in Ky each weekend in the summer. Their group painted and hid rocks around the campsite.

I haven't seen or heard anything about it here in NC. Lots of geocaches though... About 6 years ago, we had gnomes hidden around town. Then someone stole most of them. The original one on a bridge overpass on the highway is still there. I think it is too dangerous to get him. I have pictures of the ones I spotted.

bbymks5 likes this.
  7. bbymks5

Putting the location on the back is great idea!! It would be fun to track where it all went...kind of like Flat Stanley!

Boo that people were stealing the gnomes...I would have loved to have spotted a gnome! I wonder who the daredevil was who put the on on the highway overpass is?!!? A lot of our overpasses have sidewalks for pedestrians to get from one side to the next, but I've seen things tied to signs or graffiti on them that I have NO idea how they even got out there!

8. bbymks5

@BevG When your SIL and her group painted and hid them, did they leave clues or just hid them for a lucky person to stumble on?

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I think they just hid them without clues. But the campsite newsletter told people there were about.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. bbymks5

That's so cool!! I really think I'm going to try and decoupage one!

11. CherryAllie

CherryAllie Active Member

It was the summer of painted rocks here. Kindness Rocks they were dubbed. No clues the rocks were just around for people to find (and posting to Facebook) to keep and hide one of their own or re-hide the discovered rock. Our farmers market had rock painting as well as our Michaels store. My three year old found many rocks and re-hid them in playgrounds all over town.

bestcee, bbymks5 and Dalis like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My sister in law has been painting rocks for a long time and gives them to her friends and such as gifts. Her new hubby (my brother in law passed away 21 years ago) has a hotdog stand thing for the summer weekends and she had a cute idea and painted a long rock as a hotdog in a bun. Anyone finding where it was hidden could bring it to the truck for a free hot dog and drink :) It was really cute and great idea!

Oh and my sister in law would note it on her FB.. her hubby doesn't have a FB page yet for his links & drinks cart.

bestcee, Li Li Wee and bbymks5 like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've seen one of my friends on facebook posting about the rocks she's been hiding. I didn't know that people were leaving clues and stuff and making it kinda like geocaching. How super fun! Our family has done our share of geocaching over the years... I wonder if I could convince them to go hunting for rocks too! :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  14. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've heard of this - I wonder if it will take off down here over our summer?

@bbymks5 - You should decoupage a rock! That would be awesome!

bbymks5 likes this.
  15. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

We belonged to several rock groups in our area. It was A LOT of fun to leave them and see how excited people were to find them. It grew REALLY fast here and people started new groups frequently. It got to be about a dozen groups around here and they all kept trying to make rules about what you had to write on the back, how many someone could find, the exact thing you had to seal the rocks with... it started not to be fun anymore because it created so many arguments. So we left the groups and now just occasionally leave them when we are out. Because we left the groups I never see pictures of them being found anymore, but just knowing we made a stranger smile is good for us. These are some of the ones my daughter and I painted. IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

flowersgal, bestcee, Karen and 6 others like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Gorgeous and beautiful painted rocks! You should do a scrap page of them!!

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. bbymks5

Oh man!! I wish our Michael's did rock painting, I totally would have taken the girls to do it! Kindness Rocks is a cute name!

That's genius and a lot more fun than a contest/drawing!!

I remember years ago, when I bought some garden gnomes from a local FB BST group, the lady let me pick one of her painted rocks, so I picked a super cute ladybug with sparkles! I still have her somewhere, just can't find her after we moved.

Maybe telling them they're going to be rock hounds will make it sound super cool like the work geocaching?!!? I think they'd have a blast!

Maybe you can start it?!!? How fun would that be!! I'll have to hop online to see the best way to decoupage a rock is...wonder if it would need a good scrubbing and drying before hand...hmmmm

Oh boo :( I'm all for rules/guidelines but when all of the fun is taken away, that's not cool! I can totally see that happening here too; the power struggle in this community is real. You and your daughter are so talented!! I love the owls!!

Karen and CherryAllie like this.
  18. bbymks5

I was thinking the same thing!! Even extract some and use as the embellishments for the pages would be super cute!

cfile likes this.
  19. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

@bbymks5 thank you, we had alot of fun painting the rocks. we just did it for fun. i have heard of ppl leaving them for others to find. would love to do that one day or find one someone else painted.

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I really want to start doing this!!! I think it would be great to get my kids involved :)

Meredith78 and bbymks5 like this.