Fireworks | pad patter 7.3.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jul 3, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Fireworks - It's that time of year in the US when all the firework stands start popping up everywhere and the nights are filled with loud booms, sizzling and popping. We are going to a 4th of July Fireworks show tonight in a neighboring city. We meet up with family and friends and hang out on the grassy area until the fireworks show starts. I love seeing the fun colors and designs. Plus the ooohs and ahhhs of the crowd are fun too. Some years we also buy fireworks and put on a show in front of our house, but we haven't done that for awhile. I'd rather go to the professional shows and not have to worry about the safety of the fireworks around our home. We had an aerial tip over once at a family member's house and it came right into where we were sitting. We were all running for cover and it about took off poor granny's heads. Don't EVER want to do that again!

How about you? Do you like fireworks? Do you go to professional shows or do the at home ones? Either way I hope y'all have fun and stay safe!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Last year, my hubby and my sister's boyfriend bought a bunch of fireworks and spent the evening lighting them off. It was hot as I don't know what and humid, and they were both worn out from watching the kiddos and keeping them back (what IS it with boys and fire? LOL). They both said this year, NOPE, not gonna happen. We'll go watch the fireworks downtown. There are also fireworks on the beach, but that's quite a bit further to go and getting over the bridges and back is very difficult with all the traffic - so we just go downtown. They have music to go along with the fireworks and it's a good 15 minutes of fireworks. I'm usually always uncomfortable anyway, so it's not my fave thing to sit in the heat for hours waiting for them to start. I try to chit chat with our family that we go with, but after a while, I just get exhausted. I think this year I'm bringing my book. LOL

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

There is a country club not far from our home. They do a little 15-20 minute show each year and we can see the fireworks from our parking lot here at our condo. So we just walk outside when it's time and enjoy it. They do a pretty decent little show, too. And the grand finale is always so wonderful.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

I always love the grand finales! So fun to see so many fireworks go off at the same time.

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Well DH is a big kid. My kids aren't that excited about fireworks, but something about boys/men and fire. ROFL
    So of course he bought some, that he'll probably end up lighting most of the night while we sit inside. LOL

enjoyyourpix and keepscrappin like this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well NC is one of those safety first, boring states. So non-professional ones must not leave the ground, spin, etc. And getting some from another state and bringing back is illegal too.

We don't usually go anywhere to watch them on the 4th. However, we do see them at the NC State Fair in October. The Durham Bulls Baseball games often set them off during the summer; we usually make it to one game.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Malta is fireworks country. They are nuts about it,and must have more fireworks manufacturers pr capita,than anywhere else in the world. They win competitions all over, and I have to a admit they are really good.
    However....all summer long starting about May, though there are a few before that ,and until September Every single weekend ,some town or village has a feast,and that includes big bangs from Monday to Sunday 3times a day. mini ones on Friday, big displays on Saturdays lasting anything from 20 min To 2 hours...yep 2hours...
    Malta is tiny ,population under 500,000 so even if it is not "your" village feast. You can see ,and hear everyone else's for a good part of the summer.
    Drives my dog nuts...and me sometimes...
    You would think by now I can take fantastic photos of fireworks,- I can't. Lol. Must practice this summer.....not.....Lol

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We had planned to go to the celebration in town that lasts all day, up until the fireworks after the last concert. But, it is raining and supposed to rain most of the day, so I'm not sure what we'll do. We'll probably just hang around here until almost time for the fireworks to start. I'm sad because they always have skydivers with American flags, but they will probably have to cancel this year. We usually go walk around for a bit, go home and grab a nap, and then head back for the fireworks. Finding a place to park is usually the hard part and the traffic home is what I really don't like. But I do enjoy the fireworks themselves..
    In years past, we go watch the big ones and then come back here and do a few little ones of our own. I didn't buy any this year because they've been going off all around us for the last few days and my poor dog is a nervous wreck. He has hardly left my side.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. renee82

renee82 renee82

We love fireworks here! Occasionally we will buy a big pack and do a show at our cottage! The kids love it!

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

When we go to my parents' house in Missouri, it is anything goes as far as setting off your own fireworks. My son LOVES to set off fireworks.

But we're usually in Michigan for the 4th now. The resort where our house is has fireworks on the third, so we walked over there and watched them last night. Super easy with a quick commute home! :-) (However, we did get home to discover that our son had locked the lockbox key inside the house, so we had to do a little breaking and entering.)

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

We sometimes do a few small things for the kids here at the house (sparklers, bottle rockets, roman candles...) but we are to cheap to spend money on many fireworks so we usually go to the free shows if we want to see good ones. Not sure what we will end up doing today.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Well...there are a LOT of people around here breaking the law then! The last 3 nights have been insane. I think the mountains cause the fireworks to echo too. We are almost always in Florida on July 4th weekend...this is the first year in a long time that we've been home, guess I forgot how bad it was. When we go to Florida our family puts on their own show. When we are home we just go to the local show. It's pretty decent. I'm excited to go to the fireworks show tonight because 2 of my kids have never seen them before! I know my 4 year old boy is going to LOVE it!

keepscrappin and BevG like this.
  13. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I think I am a complete dork and go againsy the grain on this one. I could care less, lol. I think maybe my opinion is skewed by the years spent on the ambulance and ER when we treated the everyday individual that thought they could manage an explosive device. Uh. No. Or hours spent helping the SO or Police Dept helping people find their pets .... or separate peeps at the "drinking bbq" and usual family bickering.

I don't remember ever thinking "oh cool. Fireworks!" Maybe I am missing that button. Ugh

keepscrappin and Karen like this.
  14. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

^^^^ that chick up there needs to get a life and enjoy some stuff ^^^^

Bwahahaha :hehe

keepscrappin and Karen like this.
  15. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Fireworks are banned here except for the professionals of course. Last time fireworks were legal in this part of the country,we had a big night down at our local oval, so much fun!

I am a bit over professional fireworks shows, they can get a bit repetitive (man I am sounding like an old grumpy person now :eyeroll)

Fun fact(!!?) for Australian players - if you hear a single firework go off in the middle of the night - esp if you are in a small country town it is your local drug dealer letting you know he has a new batch in...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm a little bummed that we didn't get to see our town's fireworks last night.... but it's because our church/school is very near downtown, so we sell parking spots as a fundraiser for our youth. We were doing that last night until about 10:30 when the fireworks started. Then I had to count money and clean up the cones and signs, etc. I saw a few through the trees on my drive home though. The traffic is INSANE after the fireworks though and i really just wanted to get out of there before the fireworks ended so I wouldn't get stuck in it. Lol.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. keepscrappin

@BevG - we have a lot of people around here who drive to Wyoming and bring back illegal fireworks. I always just hope and pray they don't start a wildfire or hurt someone.

@Nemla - sounds like you have some AMAZING fireworks where you live.

@gracielou - we were cheap too this year and didn't buy any. We just went to the free shows.

@Scrapping with Liz - I bet your little guy loved them!

@Danyale - I've been the same way in the past. If I didn't have my little Megan at home, I'd probably just stay home too. Fireworks are definitely more fun when you can watch them with your little ones. My kids always love em.

@KarenW - that is a fun fact. Fireworks and drugs... not a good combination!

@Karen - what a great idea for a youth fund raiser. We too hate the crazy traffic afterwards, so we had the car ready to go, so we could get on the road as soon as it was done. We always park strategically so our getaway is quick and easy.

18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

We normally go to the show/party our town does at the lake, but I stayed in and scrapped while DS went to a party at our local country club with his friends. Really low-key this year.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We are always out at the lake house for the 4th. The little community one bay over from ours has a great show the night before every year that we watch from the water on the boat. It's pretty cool, but sorta crazy getting back home (in the dark with everyone else leaving at the same time!)

On the actual 4th- we usually sit down at the water & watch everyone else blow up their $$ ;) The kids usually get to do some sparklers or other little fireworks- but I'm too cheap to just watch my money burn!

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love fireworks and I was so bummed that we didn't get to see any this year. :cry

We were at BIL's lake house this year but they didn't want to take the boat out to see the show because it may rain (it didn't) and then we were traveling on the actual holiday & the kids were too tired once we finally got to my ILs' house to go out again.

We had a mini 'do-over' Wednesday night and grilled out dinner, had a bonfire & s'mores, and then the kids did poppers/crackers (the ones you throw on the ground that pop) and sparklers. :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.