How Often Do You Replace Your Computer?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, Jun 13, 2017.

1. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Just curious!!!

When we first got a computer, we had that thing until it died...it was running Windows 95 and when we went to replace it, Windows XP was out! The salesman laughed.

But then we went thru two Windows based computers pretty darn quickly, with one that was only a month out of the year warranty with the hard drive crashing. And it was supposed to be a gaming system, because I was starting to get into PSE at the time we bought it. So mad it didn't last at all.....That's when we switched to Mac.

We have had our iMac about 6 years now, it's a little slow, but I could still add a little to the memory. But wondering if it is maybe just time to upgrade, especially since I am doing hybrid now and wanting to learn Photoshop more. That 27.5 inch screen is looking pretty sweet! I know I will just max out the memory when purchasing, just easier for me in the long run to to have to add it!

I would probably love the iMac Pro that is coming out...but probably not the price!!! LOL LOL

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Oh Katrina, Hubby just replaced mine a couple of months ago because my Mac was 10 years old! LOL!!! My Mac was super slow and I couldn't add any more memory. I would try to add memory, do it yourself, their price is OUTRAGEOUS!

LoveItScrapIt and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I think I've had three different computers in the past 9 years. The first computer simply died and went to tech heaven. The second one was my laptop and it's still in use actually - my son uses it for watching Netflix and YouTube and plays some games on it as well. The final one is the one that I'm using now and it's only 3 years old, I think? I bought a gaming machine and so far I've been very pleased with the performance.

It's something that I use every single day, and I think it's just inevitable that they wear down after some time, depending on what you are tasking the computer to do.

I hope you get the biggest and best and have a blast creating!

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

...whenever it breaks down!!!

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My laptops last a bit longer than my PC b/c they don't get used as much; my current ones I think I've had for about 4 yrs and are still running just fine. My PC is used every day and usually goes in for a cleanup every 2 years and then gets upgraded about every 3-4 yrs. I have my system built for me and my tech will update things as needed rather than replacing the whole computer. The only reason I had a new computer built this year was so we could give my granddaughter my old computer which was updated and still worked like new.

6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Yep, in the last 10-15 years I've had maybe 5-6 laptops (all but 2 were Toshiba....the less I say about them the better). End of 2014 I switched to HP and the only reason im on my 2nd HP is the first one got stolen in April. Generally though as 95% of the time I'm broke I only replace when needed once my extended warranty finishes

7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Short answer: whenever I want to. (This is not said like Veruca Salt. I mean that sometimes I break the machine and sometimes it conks out after a few years. And once, I just hated it.)

Long answer: I'm hard on laptops. I have spilled on 2 of them. So, not their fault. ;) I had a Sony Vaio i loved until it finally pooped out on me. Then, about 3.5 yrs ago I got a Windows 8 and it never turned on. Like, literally blue screen of death right ootb. That got returned next day. And now I can't remember what I did; did I keep my previous laptop or get a different one? I'm gonna have to ask DH! Anyway, about a year ago I got a new Windows 10 laptop and hated it--I don't blame 10, I just didn't like the laptop so DH took it and I got another laptop. Funny enough, it works perfectly for him--the weird stuff (like the keyboard not working, or the wi fi randomly turning off) doesn't happen to him. So if you only look at my 2 most recent laptops, then you could say that I go through a laptop every 6 months, but that's not technically true since DH got the "old" one since his MBP was dead. And my new HP 17" i7 is still going strong. Yea!
    In the past 10 years I think I've had 5 or 6 laptops and 1 desktop that fried (hardware problem and I probably should have tried to get my money back but I digress).
    But one thing to remember is that we now download a lot of stuff. Our old computers could handle Word and maybe AOL Insant Messenger lol so they lasted longer cuz we didn't really push them. Scrappers like us DL and unzip and UL pics and use PS and otherwise USE our laptops. That's why lots of us little ol' scrappers like the aggressive gamer computers: We need all that RAM and HD space and the awesome graphics cards. :)

bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

LOL...usually it's when they die around here. If it dies, we are heading to Best Buy to get something that night.

This is honestly the first time I have questioned about updating the RAM or getting a new one! We only have 12 gig RAM installed and we can go up to 16 gig. So I know that would help the spinning wheel. Which doesn't happen all the time.

We also found out that they have increased the broadband speed in the area. We are only on the 6 megs right now, I just happened to check on Sunday. We can go up to 24 megs so I KNOW that would help as far as both of us using the wi-fi. I am always downloading or trying to use the printers that are wireless, while roomie likes to stream and sometimes that doesn't work so well. So, I know that would help with that!

Would the increased speed help with the working of Photoshop and Lightroom aka CC? I don't know, so I thought I would ask!

Tree City likes this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

About every 3 years or so around here. Not really because I want a new one...but my hubby usually talks me into it. He always tells me there's bigger, better and faster computers out there. He did recently replace my hard drive with a solid state drive. He's always keeping me up to speed. Right now I still have 2 older computers that my kids use for some of their school work...my hubby keeps our computers running in good shape. Now he's trying to talk me into getting a 4k compatible laptop.

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@Scrapping with Liz you made me smile cuz my DH is the opposite: he's always trying to tell me "can't you wait a little longer before getting a new laptop? Do you HAVE to have a new one????" But maybe it's good that you and I each married our opposite: it keeps both sides in line lol!

And @KatrinaHunt13 I can't answer your question but I have wondered how those really BIG ds files affect my laptop. Like, is it tough for my laptop to DL and hence so quickly "digest" all that info? Cuz if it is, then I'm very happy that I've got this laptop!

11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Not as often now that I'm a MAC. I bought my first MAC in 2009. I upgraded 2 years ago. The old one is still in use, but not by me.

Dalis and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm on my 2nd iMac and I'll say it will probably be replaced in a year or so. It's a 2011 model and replaced the no longer sold 24inch one which was bought in the 90s? I have replaced the memory in both of them using memory from Crucial. I now have 16gb and that should get me another year or so. I rarely work in LR and Pse at the same time though they may. Just may be open it the same time. I'm also diligent about minimizing the number of net screens open and clearing my history every day or so. I also keep my desktop pretty clean esp after a binge of saving thing to the desktop. I read all of these suggestions at sometime on line. Every bit helps.

Dalis and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  13. KatrinaHunt13

We probably have the same model of iMac! The memory I was looking at was the Crucial, so it's good to know you have had success with it. I read reviews, but I think sometimes people don't match what they are supposed to get with what they are buying! LOL LOL

Thanks!

bestcee likes this.
  14. renee82

renee82 renee82

I am on my 3rd laptop since 2006... ;)

15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I hope the 2011 iMac I'm currently using (which I bought new in 2011) lasts for many more years. I decided not to upgrade to the most recent operating system for fear it would make the computer struggle (and there wasn't anything super enticing in the upgrade). I think I've filled it with as much memory as it can take at 16GB. It has had some issues but it's still chugging along okay. Lately it seems like its problem is occasionally forgetting its connection to the wifi, necessitating a restart to remind it.

If it broke irreparably in the near future I might have to go computer-less, let alone replace it with another Mac, so I'm expecting to keep on with this one for several more years. In general we have not been quick to replace anything. My husband still drives a 1998 Honda Civic and I'm driving a 2004 Toyota Sienna van. I think my husband is on his second laptop in a full decade, maybe longer. Before that we had just a a few desktop PCs over the previous decade, but not always one replacing the next. Rather, it was because he had his own computer, I had my own, and then there was the kids' computer (which had been one of ours before we got a new one for one of us).

I know computers are made to NOT last long, we try!

I'm also planning to use my phone for at least three years, even more if there isn't a particularly exciting new feature. First of all, we didn't even jump into the smartphone world until the end of 2013. When our Verizon contract came up for renewal and our first phones were paid for, we decided to replace them. But we made better choices the second time around (for me, primarily, the issue was storage space; I got much more in my second phone than I'd had in my first) and since we're on the pay-off-the-phone-over-2-years plan, I declared I'd use my phone for THREE years, at least! I only have 5 more months of the 2 years, and I've never come close to reaching my storage limit and have had no problems with my iPhone6, so I'm looking forward to another year or a few with it. I don't even like the 7; I like that I can still plug headphones into my phone! In fact, my 13 year old daughter got her first phone in February and didn't even want the latest; she wasn't the 6 too, so she can use wired headphones. :)

Ramble ramble . . . :)

Tree City likes this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think my iMac increased memory is also from Crucial.

Also like Maureen, I've got some habits to attempt avoiding straining my old 2011 computer, like restarting it daily and usually not having both PS and LR open at the same time.

17. KatrinaHunt13

meaning you "don't" restart daily?! Ours just goes to sleep and I restart when there are updates. I did upgrade to Sierra OX, but I basically wait until the it seems like it's time for the next OX to come out! LOL I am always afraid the updates will mess with my printers and Silhouette!

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My current computer is a desktop PC that my hubby built for me in 2012. It has a 2GB graphics card, 16GB of memory and a SSD hard drive where my OS and programs run. It's still lightning fast. I have the money in my savings account to build a new one, but I'm just going to keep riding the wave until this current computer isn't working for me anymore.
    I know desktops aren't portable, but I quit buying laptops because they are so much more expensive and they never last very long for me before they slow down and irritate me. Even when I go on weekend retreats, I pack up my desktop and TWO monitors. :giggle I figure if i have a huge block of time to scrap, I want to be as productive as possible. :)

LoveItScrapIt and Tree City like this.
  19. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Not often enough LOL!! When I met my hubby back in 2006 he had the eMachine we just replaced last month. He can't remember how long he had it before meeting me, so I'm guessing a year or two prior. He knows just enough to be dangerous when it comes to PC's; he did upgrade the memory a few times and things like that...but after a while there just isn't anything you can do.

We don't do anything too crazy with them; he uses Lightroom for his photos, is now use Photoshop CC b/c we couldn't find the Photoshop CS5 disc; I'm pretty sure we were running Windows 7, now we're on 10. We don't download music or movies or anything like that; we don't let the kids play online games, so that helps keep the viruses and stuff away.

I would love to have a MAC, but they just aren't in the budget right now...one day.

Karen and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  20. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

My Grandson would kill for a gaming computer!!!