How do you decide what kits to buy?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Mar 20, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to buying kits.

I buy kits to use for specific photos; just because they look cool; in hopes of maybe getting around to doing a particular event knowing I have kit to go along.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Colors speak to me... I can use any kit for any theme.... 90% of the time. Since I don't scrap in order, and randomly scrap photos, I'm all over the place too. Most of the time though, color leads the way. Oh... and I do look at elements that are usable for non-theme - enough flowers, foliage, curled ribbon, buttons, etc.

I'm not much help, lol!

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I buy kits by project. I'm on Jaimee's team, but prior to that I bought her Storytellers because I do project life. I'm working on my Disneyland album now, so I'm buying Project Mouse kits. I bought several Christmas kits when I attempted DYD (I will finish!). So, mine is more project based vs. just buying what I like.

Juliestcyr and bbymks5 like this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am totally hooked by designer. I follow my faves and am so tempted to get everything they release. Signing up for designer newsletter's gets you sneak peeks and discounts often and with my weak currency, every little bit helps.
    Fabulous bits and bobs; original and unique and then I succumb, too many times to keep count.

cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  5. bbymks5

Oh yes, colors speak to me too!!! I do find that seasons tend to pull in one direction or another.

6. bbymks5

I love project based kits!! So matchy matchy LOL!

jk703 likes this.
  7. bbymks5

I'm subscribed to so many newsletters LOL!! My phone is always going crazy on Wednesday and Friday!!

bestcee likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@bbymks5 it would be easier if I didn't have sons and a daughter. Now I need both blues and pinks.
    Always love an awesome woodgrain and versatile neutral too.

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. bbymks5

Oh man!! I would be in big time trouble if I had to scrap for both boys and girls!! I only have to worry about girly kits LOL

Woodgrain and grey are up there at the top for me!

10. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I have so many kits from over the years, I really look for elements that are unique or jump out at me for one reason or another. Cool ephemera. Different buttons or interesting tickets. Unique paints or stitches, funky numbers or things like that.

Color is another big one.

I'm not a big theme scrapper, so I look for versatility as well.

bbymks5 likes this.
  11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I wish I had some type of pattern to my buying. I just buy what I like when I like. :) But I am drawn to certain colors (and NOT drawn to other colors); and if I need a themed kit, then I buy one. Or five. Example: we're going to Legoland and disney in a few months, so I bought some Project Mouse goodies cuz they'll work for the lego pics as well as their intended disney pics. I want that album to be cohesive (normally I don't care about that), so buying a few packs really made sense for me.
    And then there's BYOC: if I love the palette (which is 99% of the time lol), then I buy a lot. Take this month, for example. I loved the palette and I loved the themes from basically every designer. It didn't hurt that the day it came out, DS went to a bday party at an amusement park-type place, so buying Kristin Aagard's stuff just made sense in order to scrap those pics.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  12. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Nowadays I mainly go by designer and colour. Some designers just create exactly what I like, but I don't buy everything they release. The color scheme must be right for me. And the kind of elements. Too many flowers and such is a no for me, because I don't use them much.
    I hardly ever buy themed kits or, more to the point, the theme is not the main reason I buy. I use themed kits for everything, just like @jk703 said.

I used to buy more project based but it always turned out that I changed my mind and used something else and the specifically bought products were tossed aside. So, now I go simply by whatever catches my eye colour wise. .

The only exception for a long time was a farm kit by Kirstin Aaagrad I bought to scrap a page about Stardew Valley, and guess what! That page still hasn't been done, :-)

jk703 and bbymks5 like this.
  13. bbymks5

I love vintage ephemera! Postage stamps are always cool!

14. bbymks5

Oh yes...I hoard some themed kits, and then I find I don't use some at all and maybe a piece or two from others...whoops!!

If we ever make it to Disney, I would want one specific album for that for sure and use ALL the Disney stuff I could get my hands on!!

Tree City likes this.
  15. bbymks5

*hangs head in shame* I'm guilty of changing my mind...buying kits I haven't used a single time for said project, and hoarding for a specific event and maybe using one or two things from a kit...so bad!! *tisk tisk*

I'm conflicted with the flowers...I love them and have quite a few, but they never really seem to go with the photos, which sad because there are so many pretty ones!

What is Stardew Valley?? I love farm kits but I don't really have a use for them :(

16. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Wordart! That's always been my big one. It can instantly bring me into the feeling of the kit or remind me of certain times & photos.

I scrap so randomly too that as long as I can picture me scraping more than one page with the kit, and if it inspires me RIGHT THEN to WANT to play, then it'll normally wind up in my cart.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  17. bbymks5

Ohhh that's a good one!! I love wordart too!! I don't use it a lot, but even if it just prompts me I feel like it's a good investment.

18. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm such a theme scrapper. I only purchase things that I know I will scrap with, like outdoorsy camping, Disney, travel. And I like templates, so I gravitate towards multi-photo ones.

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Um, I just buy things.... like all of them?

I suppose I do tend to go for certain designers over others, and colors totally draw me in.... but really, I will buy most anything if I have money. Haha

wvsandy, bbymks5 and jk703 like this.
  20. bbymks5

I'm really liking templates too!!

QuiltyMom likes this.