Bugs!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Mar 15, 2017.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

It's been a rather warm winter here in Northern Illinois - and I can't believe how many box elder and Asian beetle bugs we have around here!

The sun shines brightly from the southwest in the living room window in the afternoons - and the front windows and floors sure attract those bugs!! I usually suck them up with a handheld vacuum - I think I've probably sucked up at least thirty this week alone!

Is it a buggy season where you live?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We have had ants already this spring. Being in the South, I got tired of the creepy crawlies coming in, so we get the house sprayed quarterly. And I might have pantry moths (again sigh), but right now I am pretending I don't.

3. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

yucko. do not like bugs!

4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

*knocks on wood* so far we're good. BUT I'm waiting for the scorpions to rear their ugly heads :furious

5. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Teeny tiny little ants all over the place here.

6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yikes, I remember that when we lived in Iowa. Some years there would be thousands upon thousands of the critters-Asian Lady Beetles, which actually bit. They look like ladybugs but they had a mean streak.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ugh. Just gnats at night so far. The ones that are by the trees at the park and act like fruit flies. Grrr.....
    Cockroach season will start soon. Along with the other unknown to me bugs that I'll see in the desert.

8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Not yet, really. But the stink bugs never seem to go away for long. They're creepy and seem to appear out of nowhere.
    stinkbug_285.jpg

JillW likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

The bane of my existence lately! I don't remember them ever being as bad as they have been all winter this year. YUCK!!

10. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I just flushed one just before I read this post!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

None right now . . . the next wave of bugs will be love bugs. They splatter all over the car and if you don't get them off right away, they turn into something resembling cement. Of course, mosquitos will be here soon as well!

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Even though we have had such a dry summer, the mosquitoes have been rampant. Thankfully as it cools down the flies are less active now too. The flies are my worst - germ and disease laden creatures!

13. JillW

Yes!! they do - and they have a terrible smell if they get squished!

14. JillW

I agree - I think flies are the nastiest!!

StefanieS likes this.
  15. JillW

Such a creepy bug!!! They aren't over abundant here - a few get on the screen in the summer - I'm quick to "get rid of them" though!

16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@JillW do you smite them or place them into the bug protective (reallocation) service?

Lindzee likes this.
  17. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I guess there are some advantages to living in canada. Not too many bugs here in -17c weather... earwigs are my worst in the summer, then flies. We struggle with ants in the gardens in the summer. The rest I move to protective services.

18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Um, ick!

Not at the moment.... and TBH, I don't know which season is bug season for my area! :giggle I guess spring or summer, but nothing too crazy that pops in my head!

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Thankfully we have no bugs at the moment, but I have had about 4 or 5 of those gross looking stink bugs in my house this winter and you're totally right Donna @djp332 those suckers appear out of no where! And they walk like incredibly slow, so how does that happen? Ewww! I throw mine down the toilet or outside to freeze to death.

In our area the worst is the mosquitoes in the summer, especially if we have a lot of rain. Evil buggers!

20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

We started seeing LARGE carpenter ants, maybe 4 or 5, but that was 4 or 5 too many. DH went out and picked up some ant killer. It is supposed to be sweet, attract them, they eat it and then go back to their colony & then infect the queen. No more colony. I haven't seen an ant since, and that has been a week or more.

True story about the Asian beetles. I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts. One morning I was stumbling around in the kitchen, saw on the breadboard what I thought was a brownie crumb. Put it into my mouth and crunched down & immediately spit out. Nope, they don't taste very good either.