Name Something Your Mother or Grandmother... | Pad Patter 10.14.16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Name something your mother or Grandmother cooked that was your favorite.

Mine is my Grandma Thora's Peas and Potatoes Soup. It was creamy and yummy, yummy in my tummy. She made it with fresh peas and potatoes from her garden.

How about you? What was your favorite.

enjoyyourpix and lmccandless like this.
  2. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

That sounds yummmm @keepscrappin !
    We are from India and my mum made these amazing bell peppers and (Indian cottage) cheese stuffed Indian breads that make me drool anytime I think about it!! Lol :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm....

I get my sweet tooth from one grandmother, so I love Milano Cookies (Her breakfast to this day ever since I can remember is a glass of Coke and 2 Milano cookies - she's a hoot!)

My other grandmother was very wordly, and cooked many kinds of wonderful dishes. I guess if I had to pick, it would be her roots. She was originally from Virginia, and always made the best ham and fixins'.

4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Both my mom and grandma are/were amazing cooks. But one thing we always comment on at Thanksgiving is that we miss Grandma's turkey gravy. And over the last few years, I think I've finally perfected it!

5. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

My grandma's Texas sheet cake! It makes me miss her even more just thinking about it.

6. y_baros

y_baros missing sock mystery has been solved

my grandma's Mexican cornbread, homemade flour tortillas, empanadas and menudo/pozole - yum!!

my mom's weekend breakfasts of homemade flour tortillas, refried beans, fried potatoes and fresh salsa. omg. and she could make a mean banana bread, too!!

I want all of the foods!!

7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Pot Pie - Pennsylvania Dutch Style - I think its also known as Southern Pot Pie.

keepscrappin and enjoyyourpix like this.
  8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

my grandma's "Spanish rice" - i have the recipe, and don't make it nearly enough!
    My mom's 'chili' - which we do make, but we call it bean soup, because it's not spicy at all. No reason to call it chili. :giggle

keepscrappin and enjoyyourpix like this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My grandma was such a good cook and baker. She made the most amazing pies! Her crust was the best I've ever had. My fave pie was apple. She picked apples out of the trees in the backyard.

My mom was not much of a cook. She worked a lot and was a big believer in simplicity and speed so anything she could whip together super quick was a hit for her. She wasn't really a foodie (not like me LOL). But she did make a hungarian goulash that was just amazing. It was so yummy. It was sort of like chili but had other spices in it and different beans. She would make a huge pot of it and then stick the whole thing in the fridge for us to scoop out a bowl whenever we wanted it. My dad loved it cold, making a sandwich out of it and my mom liked it hot, with peppers and cheese overtop. I regret that I never got her recipe so even though I make something similar it just doesn't taste the same as hers did.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

ham and vegetable broth yummy! it was the main way i would eat veg as a kid

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My Granny made the most amazing vegetable soup. She also taught me how to make the perfect scrambled eggs. I'll never forget learning that from her.

My Grandma still makes the best gumbo ever. We have it on Christmas Eve every year.

Everything my Mama makes is incredible. Her fried chicken is one of a kind, and I love it! She makes fabulous lasagna, biscuits, desserts. Really, anything she puts her hand to comes out wonderfully.

12. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My New Zealand Grandma didn't cook, like at all. She did make miniature dollhouses though.

My Mexican Grandmother made the best tacos in the whole wide world. The iceberg lettuce was always dressed with red wine vinegar, the radishes were perfect, & she always sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese while still hot. I don't know why Parmesan? But oh man, I'm the only one who still makes those. My cousin Frankie literally drools if I talk about them.

Both Grandpas cooked more than their wives. Grandpa Bob made the best carrot cake & coconut macadamia ice cream. Grandpa Al made the best skillet potatoes & taught me how to make the perfect sunny side up egg. He also taught me all his favorite army recipes like chipped beef on toast. Grandpa Al is still my image of the perfect man. I miss him so much.

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Bwahaha, my mom would drive us very carefully to her favorite restaurant. :giggle I do love my grandma's applesauce recipe. Actually, perhaps we'll make some tomorrow to use up the last of the apples we picked. Thanks for the idea! I always feel close to Grandma when I have it, even though I'm not a foodie (or someone who can even pretend to like being in the kitchen--THAT is something I got from my mom rotfl).

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My Grandma A. made a steamed carrot pudding with a lemon hard sauce. Although I never ate one that she made, my Mom made it every Christmas. Now I need to figure out how to make it without nuts, eggs and flour! Maybe not...

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

my mom would make potato candy at the holidays. it's mostly powdered sugar and peanut butter

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh I've been thinking about one of my favorites all day today and seeing this lets me share it. Nana was the child of two Lithuanian immigrants and she made many dishes from the old country but pierogis were always my favorite. She made hers with just a block of famers' cheese that was usually found in the kosher section of a supermarket. NO absolutely NO potatoes in her pierogis! Potatoes were for that giant potato dish she called koshi but more often it's known as kugelis. That was iffy for me and was also a Friday dish, without the bacon. We often had the pierogis for Friday dinner (no meat on Fridays for us Catholics) but I had to have mine with just melted butter and despised the golden brown fried onions that everyone else had on their's. Oh how foolish I was!

These pierogis were something I never learned to make because I moved overseas before I realized how important they were to me and Nana died when I was 28. Too young to realize the value of heritage. I've thought of asking my cousin who still lives in almost the same PA location as we did as children. However, he wouldn't eat those pierogis at all and got a lobster tail every Friday! I always swear I'll get out the pasta maker and make the dough for these but so far I haven't.

My mother? she worked full time all my life so Nana who lived with us was the cook. In her later years, my mother started making bar cookies, to eat and to take into work. I wanted chocolate chip cookies but both my mother and Nana said those were too much trouble, always standing at the oven for tray after tray. I do understand that now!

aballen, Tree City and jesskab like this.
  17. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

My Grandma H and my Mom, would have a big lunch after church on Sundays. They would make homemade beef and noodles.

I have tried, for she never measured. come close on the noodles, putting a egg in a hollow indent in a pile of flour. But never got the gravy right. Oh how I would love to taste this again

i have photo of my grandmother on left. but not of ther beef and noodles

6.PNG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Let's see, I would have to say pie (which I think is a dying art these days). My grandmother on my mother's side, it was lemon meringue... I can almost taste it just thinking about it. My dad's side... it was pumpkin pie.

@cookingmylife made me think of the things I need to learn. My mother still makes my grandmother's pickle recipe, we use it in everything and I haven't found anything similar anywhere. I need to learn how to make it while my mom is able to show me.

On my husband's side, we have GOT to learn how to make the family Polish sausage recipe. It's been handed down for several generations and my in-laws make a big batch every fall for the holidays.

keepscrappin and scrapsandsass like this.
  19. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This thread is so good and so bad ... i feel like i have drool coming out of my mouth and now want to eat all the things!

What sticks out most is my Grandmother's homemade pies at holidays ... pumpkin and apple mostly. She always had fresh whipped cream too. She is still alive at over 90 years of age (I have to ask my Dad how old exactly bc I am so bad with that stuff) and insists on bringing the pies for holidays, but she is past making them herself now, but she will comment and rip those pies apart for every little flaw, lol!

My mom is a great cook too, and I always loved her hearty "stick to your rib" meals (as my Dad would call them) ... like beef stew, or roast beef and mashed potatoes.

I'd love to sit and think about this some more ... I could actually probably make a whole vintage book about fave family meals from years past.

20. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

oh yummy in my tummy thread is this! Everything sound so good!

For me....
    my mother makes the best lasagna!!!
    Her mother would make peanut brittle at Christmas! YUM! Something I can't eat anymore because of my crowns...teehee. And she would also make these prune tarts to die for!
    My father's mother made the most AMAZING carrot cake from scratch!!

keepscrappin likes this.