Journal Cards Tutorial - Summer School Week 2

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Cristina, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Hello! In this tutorial I want to share some ideas for using journal cards other than for journaling, in pocket and scrapbook pages. I use Photoshop CS5, but these are simple techniques that I hope you’ll be able to easily translate to your own software. Also, one disclaimer: keep in mind that there are several ways to do the same thing in Photoshop; I’ll be showing you how I do things, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a faster/easier/better way to do things. :)
    The pages I will use to illustrate these techniques are made using some recent Memory Pockets Monthly collections (you can click on the pages to view the full credits in the gallery).

1. Use journal cards as design elements

Let’s start with the simplest thing you can do: you can use your journal cards as papers or word art.

You can arrange them on your layout, or just use one to make a statement. Here are two examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, don’t be afraid to cut the cards up to use just a piece, like I did on this page.

[​IMG]

Here I cut out a portion of the card using the Rectangular Marquee Tool, then layered the elements and photo on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whenever I want to cut out a portion that is not a square or a rectangle, I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool. Here’s an example of how I would have used it on this card if I wanted a wonkier look. You just click at the four corners to make the selection, and you are all set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Extract word art or brushes from a journal card

This is one of my favorite ways to stretch my supplies even further. On these two pages, I turned some journal cards into brushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The easiest way for me to extract a brush or word art from a card is using the Magic Wand tool.

Magic Wand – make sure the “contiguous” option is unchecked so you’ll be able to select the everything at the same time. If the background of your card is plain, like in this case, you can simply click on the background using the Magic Wand tool. Once it is selected, just hit the delete key, and you are left with the brush.
    [​IMG]

You can then further refine the selection using the Polygonal Lasso Tool.

[​IMG]

You can see how I used the entire brush on the top left corner of my page, and then just this portion on the bottom right.

Here’s another example of this technique being used on two different cards for this page. I used the word art in the background next to my photo, and the flowers to decorate two corners of the page.

[​IMG]

3. Blend the journal cards on your background
    Blending works great on brushes you extract from journal cards.
    Last week’s blending tutorial from @AnneOfAlamo has a wealth of information on the different blending options available in Photoshop. Another way I like to do the blending is using the Blending Options under the layer effects (this is also my go-to technique to blend fonts on a background and make sure they don’t float).

[​IMG]

All I did for this example was move the dark slider over to the right, until I got the effect I wanted.

[​IMG]

Here’s a direct before and after comparison.

[​IMG]

I hope you’ve learned something new, and will make even more use of your journal cards now!

mirjam, elseepe, MrsPeel and 8 others like this.
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Woot! Great stuff! I am totally in LOVE with the blending technique that gave the watercolor effect to your journal card. Coming soon to a page near me!

Joan K and Cristina like this.
  3. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Love this tutorial on ways to use journal cards in a different way! Will be using these tips as well!

Cristina likes this.
  4. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

thank you for this tutorial

Cristina likes this.
  5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Excellent ideas!! I've always loved using journal cards to use on clipping masks for templates with lots of small paper layers. The patterns are smaller and the journal card file is smaller than the 12x12 paper file.

Cristina likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Cristina likes this.
  7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Excellent ideas!

Cristina likes this.
  8. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

This was great Cristina - I can't wait to start cutting up my cards & making wonky shapes!

Cristina likes this.
  9. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Love these ideas. Thanks!

Cristina likes this.
  10. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

GrEAT ideas Cristina!!!!!!!! even though I don't use any PS [program, I can transfer these instructions and transform to my program, thanks so much!!!!! the pages, as always, are amazing!!!!!!!:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

Cristina likes this.
  11. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Super cool ideas Cristina! LOVE this!