***WINNER ANNOUNCED!*****Blending & Brush Challenge - win $5! - Summer School Week 1

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by MrsPeel, Jul 3, 2016.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello! hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the start of the week! I'm excited to be kicking of our 6 weeks of amazing tutorials, discussion and challenges, sales shopping & prizes!!!! !!!! Learn more about it HERE-

This week's subject are Blending Modes, Using Masks and Brushes to make your pages even more awesome. We have two great video tutorials from our dear @AnneofAlamo which you can find HERE for the Blending and HERE for the Brushes.

To help you out we also have the whole of the two categories all at 25% OFF this week. In these categories you will find all masks, brushes, overlays, borders, painted elements and more. You can find all Brushes HERE and also the Overlays and Borders category HERE this week-

Here is my page for this Challenge:

[​IMG]

As you can see, this first challenge will involve using precisely these super versatile products.
    I love blending modes, it helps when I have a background I don't completely like or when I want to make the page a bit more interesting or artsy looking, there are so many possibilities with blends! Here in my page for this challenge I blended the photo into the background: to me is a trial and error thing: I keep changing the photo or the paper and looking at how it looks with each blending mode, until I find what I like.
    Sometimes, like in my page here, the blend mode is good but it doesn't quiet pops like I want to, so in this case, I use the "darken" blend mode, but I also duplicated the photo (In the same blend mode) twice to show more in the dark background. Once I was happy with the blend, I made the borders by layering a series of Brushes, some of which I also added a blend mode until they showed the way I wanted. I also used brushes for my tittle and some painted flowers: because I am not much of a flat page scrapper, I had to add a bit of a shadow to the painted flowers to give more depth. In my mind, they work as cut outs!
    So, here is what I would like you to do for your challenge page:

1. A photo blended into the background - one of Anne's videos has an amazing extraction: you can extract or not, that is optional- in case you weren't into our last Friday Slow Scrap Chat on Extractions, HERE are some great tutorials I found and some tips we put together at the chat. Please tell us what blend mode you used, that way, we all learn from each other!
    2. at least two borders in your page using brushes: One of them you can build it yourself like I did in my page above, the other one you can use some of the amazing ready made borders in the store, it can be simply the border from the pack as it come, or you can add to it of you want. If you prefer,you can also go for full page borders, I love Little Butterfly Wings Borders & Flairs packs, you will find them all in the above categories links!
    3. Optional: You can also add some doodled brushes: the most obvious in my page is from Lynn Grieveson's Take a Twirl Brushes.

That's it! easy and fun, don't you think?
    Please remember The Lilypad challenges rules also apply here!: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product.
    Once you finished your page, come back here to this thread to leave us a link to your page: you will find the right link to copy on the right hand side of your page in the gallery, under your avatar, you will see Share this Layout.
    The right link is the one that says : Share BB Code:
    the third one down.

You have until Sunday, 10th of July at 11:59 EST to post your page in the gallery and post a link here, from those of you who do so, we will select a winner who will get a wonderful $5 for the store!!!!!

In my page I used: Paula Kesselring: A La Poursuite de Bonheur Brushes. Lynn Grieveson: Take a Swirl Brushes and Mess with Ink Brushes. Nancie Rowe Janitz: Be Happy Florals. Pink Reptile Designs: Word Up! & Emphasizers Vol 2 and Allison Pennington : Lovely Day Painted Letters.
    Here are more examples of different types of blending and using brushes, you can click on the thumb to see the page in the gallery, in this first one I blended an old photo with two of Valorie Wibbens BYOC amazing Galileo Papers and also some of the Brushes from her Sprinkles V. 44
    [​IMG]

this one uses one of Little Butterfly Wings full page borders from Oh Canada, and I also blended the photo in the background with a hard light blend mode:
    [​IMG]

and another one in which I blended the photo and used Pink Reptile Designs : Emphazisers Vol 2 for the composition of my borders:
    [​IMG]

ETA: There are lots of videos in The Lilypad You Tube Channel if you would like to have a look on how to use brushes and build borders :
    THE LILYPAD YOU TUBE CHANNEL
    You can find amazing inspiration all over the galleries, hope you get inspired and join us with a page. If you have any doubts, let me know and I will try my best to be helpful!
    Look forward to seeing your pages!!!!

I posted after the last LO, the winner is @gillscott
    Congrats!!!!!!
    watch your om, I will be messaging you in a minute! :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Jana_2worldsart

Jana_2worldsart Well-Known Member

I have a tutorial for Lynn Grieveson at the learning pad HERE using brushes to blend as well

3. scrapfor5

scrapfor5 Member

Is there a certain gallery we need to upload our layout to or just our member gallery?

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

[​IMG]
    I hope I did this right Cynthia! I wasn't sure about the "two borders using brushes" I have several brushes that I used to "border" my photo, so hopefully that works-if not, please let me know and I'll add more stuff ;>) Super fun challenge- I love to blend and use masks and it's been way to long since I've played! Thanks again to Paula for the freebie mask- and also for the tutorials-always helpful! My layout is in the gallery here:
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/summer-school-challenge-tbeach.259228/

elk2009, Lindzee, lmccandless and 8 others like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Fun Challenge :)
    Here's my page

[​IMG]

I blended the photo into the background paper by using Color Dodge, duplicated the photo in the Color Dodge mode, and then reducing the opacity on the copy. I used Jaimee's A Stacked Mess Borders and then created borders of my own using stuff from PRD, Val Wibbens, and Paula :)

Lindzee, Iowan, lmccandless and 3 others like this.
  6. scrapfor5

scrapfor5 Member

Here is my page. This was fun!! I love playing with brushes and blending.

[​IMG]

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

For the edge, I clipped Paula's Antique Papers to her Border Edge Transparencies, added paint and then Lynn's Worn Paper Edges. For the yellow under paper, the edge is blended Color Burn. For the photo, I clipped a paper to a mask as paint underneath. Then added a mask and clipped two copies of the photo blended as Screen. The twirl is blended Overlay.
    [​IMG]

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I stitched two pictures together then I masked them into background, used photoedge overlay for border and then add lace along with other splatters that I added the water to, did the out of frame extraction... just blended and had fun playing! I like this kind of summer school!!

[​IMG]

elk2009, Lindzee, lmccandless and 3 others like this.
  9. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

10. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ohhhhhhhh wOw!!!!!!!!! and ohhh wOw to these pages again & again...and again!!!!!!!!!!
    GORGEOUS!!!!!! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

I'll come to your galleries later on, what an amazing work you have done here!!!!! :heartslub

11. scrapfor5

scrapfor5 Member

I agree!! Their pages are gorgeous!! I'm definitely going to have to practice some more!

MrsPeel likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I actually started this one for the Style Challenge (white background) but the border I had planned to use was too busy for my taste so I went in this direction. Since I'm going away Friday am for the weekend, I thought I'd better at least show something for the Teachers and @AnneofAlamo's video work!

I duplicated one of Paula's free grunge brushes to make the mask for the photo and then used another brush to delete the top and bottom bits.TY @paula kesselring !

[​IMG]

elk2009, Lindzee, lmccandless and 4 others like this.
  13. mom2jackaia

mom2jackaia I wish more people were fluent in silence

14. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

I used the paint pieces from the kit to be brushes to make the border (plus a border included). I blended the background photo using linear burn and overlay.
    [​IMG]

15. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Ohhh Ladies All pages are fantastic!!!!

MrsPeel likes this.
  16. knclark

knclark Chocolate snob

Thanks for the freebie brushes @paula kesselring ! And I had to snag your Crushed Gold Bundle - glad it was in SOSN today!
    I used Hard Light on the Lion and Luminosity on part of the bridge and many brushes. Thanks for the fun challenge!
    [​IMG]

elk2009, Lindzee, lmccandless and 3 others like this.
  17. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

hope this is correct, i used he hard light mode to blend the photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  18. sandsock

sandsock If you need me I'll be on my island

Oh had to do your challenge Cynthia! Used Pin light on the photo, because I was not looking my best that day. Sweet hubby told me not to get dressed up for the walk and that we would come back and shower then go out for the rest of the day. That did NOT happen! We even got caught in a rain shower. I wanted to include myself, but well the pin light at least helped!
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel, Lindzee, lmccandless and 2 others like this.
  19. 3littleks

3littleks Pass the gold and the glitter, please!

20. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I did it. I hope right...
    Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

and here is what I did:

I enlarged the mask in Dawn's Template and clipped my photo to the mask then blended it into the background
    paper using "Hard Light"
    Next I adjusted the frame to capture the part of the photo I wanted to highlight for this page
    I then extracted the anchor from another photo and used blend mode "Screen" to give it a transparent look;
    I also added a shadow so it had some dimension (I liked the ghost ship feel it gave...)
    I used Little Butterfly Wings Sail Away Paint and Allison Pennington Brushes to create the waves and wind
    for my Borders

complete credits in the gallery