First Sunburn of the Year

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 23, 2016.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This girl wore sunscreen to the pool yesterday.
    This girl wore sunscreen to the pool today.

This girl is decidedly pink on her shoulders. And hair part. But I forgot to sunscreen my part, so that's far. But my shoulders!?! Sigh. I'm blaming the solstice.

Anyone else have a sunburn?

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I did from Father's Day at the boardwalk, then visiting my Dad, plus add a soccer game to that! It was slightly pinkish on my upper back and upper arms. (My shirt was a weird scoop thing). Now, I have to figure out how to get the other parts pink so I don't have this weird tan look. :giggle I usually get pink a couple of times and then tan.

I hope it's not too uncomfortable and goes away soon.

3. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

A bit. I tried to be careful but Father's Day in the swimming hole got the best of me.

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My Irish skin always turn pinkish red first and then gradually goes to a light tan. I had a little sunburn while I was in SC earlier this month, but nothing too bad. I usually stay in the sun for about an hour with sunscreen and then try to find shade. The hardest part for me is remembering to reapply sunscreen if I am staying outside for a long time.

Hope your sunburn doesn't cause too much pain! The hair part ... ouch!

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I got my first sunburn of the year on May 28 attending the Virginia Renaissance Faire, on my forehead mostly. It wasn't very bad, fortunately. I didn't even notice until I'd been home for an hour or two.

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

When I play in water, the boys are forever on my back, and shoulders and wears the protection off! I have a big ol' floppy hat that lives on my head in the summer. I got a bit of pink a few weeks ago I didn't spray back of the tops of my legs...ouch, I swim for 90 minutes and they were a bit sore! lol

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't burn very often at all, only if I really overdo it right off the bat. Sitting at baseball games and practices since the first of April has tanned me some and I spend a lot of morning time on my front deck reading, before the sun gets too hot. I wear a ball cap most of the time when I'm out for any length of time to keep the sun off my face. A little sunscreen when we head out to the pool and hopefully there won't be any burns to deal with. The part is the worst, especially when you have to brush your hair. Hope it doesn't cause too much pain.

8. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

On Monday we went to the pool for the first time this summer. I bought what I considered to be some "good" sunscreen from the drug store. We stayed out for about 2 hours in the pool, and Miller definitely was pink on his shoulders that night. I guess it did say "waterproof 80 minutes" and we were out longer than that. And we are both pretty fair.

I spent a lot of the time under the umbrella reading, so I didn't get as much sun as he did.

I noticed last year mid-summer that my favorite sunscreen disappeared from shelves ... the spf 50 was no longer available after that, but the spf 30 was (in the brand I was liking at that time)... and I had a few different episodes last summer where I was pretty aggressive about reapplying and still got burned. I've actually been wondering if there has been some change to the formulas that has caused the sunscreens to be less effective.

9. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Oh, last year my mom got really into essential oils. That one day last summer I got a bad burn, and she mixed me up some lavender oil in water, and I sprayed it on my sunburn. I don't know if it really helped or not, but it always felt so cool and soothing when I sprayed it on my burn. I'm very sensitive to smells, but the pure lavender oil smell was light and natural and dissipated quickly. I have finally used up all that lavender spray she sent home with me, so I'm hoping I can find some lavender oil at Whole Foods. It probably won't be as "pure" as the one she used, but I want to make up more of that spray!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

Owie - on your head!
    I've been careful this year. I am so very fair skinned and I never tan, only burn. We have SPF 50 so not sure why you can't find it, Tiff. Must be a different brand. I never make it through an entire summer without burning at least once but so far so good. We've been trying to do the pool later in the afternoons. It isn't as crowded and the sun isn't quite as bad.

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We spent last week at the water park and Busch Gardens. We used lots of sunscreen and for the most part all stayed burn free. Sunburn is no fun!

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm lucky in that my complexion is olive enough that I usually burn at the beginning of summer, and then it turns to a tan the rest of the summer. Today I had to switch swimsuits because my strap lines are getting very obvious.
    It's not too uncomfortable. My husband is very pale, so when he burns it hurts!

Yes! I've started setting my phone timer to remember this.

On the forehead?!? I'm glad it wasn't bad. I don't think I've burned there before.

I remember you sharing that! I hope it's calmed down by now!

Ugh. I hate when a favorite disappears. My old favorite I adored the pineapple/coconut smell but it's disappeared too. I hope you find a new favorite!

The way our pool sits, afternoons is when the sun hits it full on!

That's awesome! Maybe I need to increase the amount I use.

13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My first sunburn was April 3rd. I missed the back part of my arms for the air show earlier this year. I already have tan lines from sports bra and tank tops and running, even at 6-7am.

14. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

#pastywhitegirlproblems

I got burned at Kennedy's field day. It was 70 outside and totally overcast and cloudy. But of course I burned. Ridiculous. I use SPF 50 or above and still burn if I'm out for any length of time. I'm all itchy now and hating it.

15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

OUCH The hair burn is always the worst- especially in teh shower! ;) I got my first burn memorial day weekend when it wasn't super warm (but I totally fell asleep on the beach out at the lake & it was glorious!) We've been pretty good with the sunscreen- but my usually always tans daughter forgot to get her back last time we were out at the lake & now she will never make that mistake again! ;)

bestcee likes this.
  16. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'm light and freckled so I burn no matter what. Last weekend my son helped me wash the car inside and out, and even with SPF 50 I still have pink shoulders and face. The worst is the tops of my feet, which may have gotten the sunscreen washed off in some hose chaos.

bestcee likes this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No no no...and I don't plan to get any this year! My dear -sunblock hating - husband just had another layer of the top of one ear sliced off for a biopsy. He'll never learn... so I hope one day I'm not married to Van Gogh.