When In Doubt...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Jun 10, 2016.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Eat.

This is my public service announcement for the day. Today was a crazy day. I had volunteered to help with Kennedy's field day (his first). I had a bunch of stuff I was doing, so I got sidetracked and then had to race to get to the school, so I skipped lunch. After school, I got home and wasn't as hungry anymore, not to mention it was 3:30 and I figured I might as well wait for dinner. I tried convincing my hubby to leave the house at 4:30 to go to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. He refused, telling me that he wasn't *that old* yet. Of course he'd had breakfast, lunch and snacks. :giggle I needed to swing by the library (in the neighboring city), so he suggested we do that first and then swing back around to get dinner. The three of us get in the car and head to the library. It starts pouring down rain, the traffic is crazy, and I have an I-haven't-eaten headache. I'm in the turn lane, waiting for traffic to clear so I can turn into the library, and the car starts to die and all kinds of weird electrical things start happening. I'm freaking out, wondering if I'll make it into the parking lot. Tim is all cranky and thinking that I'm overreacting, but he didn't realize what was going on with the car. Ugh.

We basically coasted into the parking lot and the car died. We called AAA and they said that they would send a tow truck, but it would be awhile, and that they couldn't fit us all in the truck. So that meant we had to find another way home. Tim was completely irate (probably because I'd just told him last week we needed a new battery). He was growly with me and snapping at Kennedy, and I'm feeling like I'm going to cry at this point because I was totally hangry. We tried calling a couple of car rental places to see if we could get something, but no. And there aren't any buses that I could find. We thought about a taxi, but it seemed like that was going to be hugely expensive based on traffic. Oh, and also, Tim didn't bring his cell phone, so we only had mine. Ugh. I went back into the library to see if they could help me with the bus thing, but there weren't any routes that they could find nearby. The funny thing is that I have two Masters degrees, but I can't figure out how to take a public bus. The librarians weren't much help either. #firstworldproblems :giggle Tim stayed with the car and kept my phone since the tow truck had my number. Kennedy and I ended up walking several blocks to the commuter train station, waited a half an hour, took the short train trip back to Puyallup, and had to walk the 6 blocks home. By this time my headache is raging, I'm cold because I didn't have a real jacket (and it was raining), and I was about to chew someone's face off because I was so hungry. And we had nothing to eat at home because it is Friday and we always eat out on Friday. Then to top it off, the tow truck driver dropped the car (and Tim) at our house instead of the shop. They mansplained to me that it was a battery issue. I know our battery is old, and I've been bugging Tim about getting a new one, but... my grandpa always told me that if you turn the key and it won't turn over but you hear clicking, and the battery won't hold a charge, it is your alternator. If it isn't the battery. I'm going to stab someone. LOL.

Anyway, long story just to say... eat, peeps. Eat. You never know what may happen before your next meal and you don't want to chew someone's face off while you wait for Pizza Hut to deliver. :giggle

jesskab likes this.
  2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Oh what an awful day. I hope they figure out the car thing. Hope Pizza Hut made it. And hugs to you.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I hope you ordered the super supreme because you deserve all the toppings after that ordeal!

And I can figure out a subway map like nobody's business but the bus system. Nope. Won't do it. I have no idea why but it scares the heck out of me. Your two master degree comment and bus scenario has me laughing my butt off I so get what you are saying!

And this is totally embarrassing but ... I was away this week and hubby was home with kids and had our older car. He said he went to take them to the bus stop early one morning and the car wouldn't start. He ended up using the riding lawn mower to charge it bc he didn't want to bother the neighbors. How hillbilly hilarious is that. Omg. I nearly died.

Karen, bestcee, scrapsandsass and 2 others like this.
  4. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I'm dying.

Oh, and with my Associate's, I can read any kind of map, bus schedule, train schedule, you name it. Even in San Francisco (yes we have a subway, not just cable cars). It's kinda a must when we only have one car. :p

5. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Oh no!! I hope you get to sleep in after that eventful of a day!! Bless your heart, you are quite the trooper. I would have been balled up in the fetal position long before the tow truck arrived. Ha!!

6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Oh girlie, what an ordeal!!!!!!!!!

7. carilyne

Map reading ability and other things disappear with the Master's process I'm sure. I got mine and can't make sense of things I did before. Scary huh?

scrapsandsass and jesskab like this.
  8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I hope you get some rest after that... and put some snacks in your purse!
    I would have had such a sugar problem by the end. :/

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, hugs to you. Cars always die in the wrong places. Stoopid things. But I'm glad that you got back safely, even with being so hungry and cold. That's the worst. And that mansplaing thing has got to stop. Next time someone does that to me I'm going to pull my best dumb blonde act and totally pull his feet out from under him. I've got a wicked side.

I love San Francisco transit! It is so easy to take!

I can read maps, schedules, and the like, too. AND, I can fold maps - and sewing patterns - back along their original fold lines. heh heh. Comes from being very visual. But don't ask me to do Math. Or write a paper. Or explain something to someone (I stumble over my tongue every time). Or make a phone call. I hate phones! Comes from too many years doing secretarial work (translation = having to speak with very angry people all the time).

enjoyyourpix and scrapsandsass like this.
  10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Me too! I tell people to text because I won't answer the phone. I answer calls all day long! At 5pm, I don't want to talk anymore, I just need quiet. Unfortunately, I'm married to a talker & we have two little chatterbox sons that never stop making noise. Even the cat's a talker!

11. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

You should have been a writer, Kimberlee. I always get pulled in by the way you tell a story!

12. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Ohmygosh. :) That is hilarious. I was almost wishing you'd said that he drove them to the bus stop on the mower. LOL.

Yeah, I've had way too much of it lately.

Awww. Thanks. That is what one of my degrees is in, but I just don't take the time to actually do it these days. Ugh.

We did relax for the rest of the evening. The pizza arrived, and I did not harm anyone. :giggle This morning, Tim got up early and used Jessica's car to go and buy a new battery. He was all excited because he got everything up and running. I told him that I really thought we needed to get it double-checked, just to be sure, because everything I looked at after I was telling Jessica the story when she got home from work was saying that it was the alternator. I knew he would be irritated, so I threw in that he wouldn't want to waste the money on a new battery and then have it drained and have the same problem happen later. So he got all fussy and cranky, but took it over to the auto part store to check it. The alternator was shot and the cable to/from it had burned through as well. :giggle It is now being repaired.

Mansplaining me. Sheesh.

13. carilyne

I gave up on mansplaining. I drive the car the most and it's my safety on the line. So I'll take it to get it checked out somewhere. It's frustrating because I want him to listen to me, but now I repeat I'm keeping myself safe.
    Glad it all worked out.

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Good grief! What an adventure! So glad y'all were safe and you finally got something to eat!

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh my gosh! I totally relate to the miss breakfast, and lunch, why not wait until dinner thing! I'm glad he listened and took the car to get it checked out!

And it's a good thing pizza delivers!

16. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Oh My Goodness Kimberlee that is alot of awful in one day! Hope your next many days are trouble-free. Also hope that you get to eat regularly! You are an awesome writer though!

17. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Sounds like a very frustrating day. Glad it is getting worked out in the end. :)

18. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Oh my goodness. What a test of endurance your day was. You deserve a big reward. I hope that pizza was fully loaded.

My hubby is hypoglycaemic and really gets sidways if he doesn't eat regularly. I have learned to always have a couple of bottles of water in the car and a few protein bars in my purse.

19. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I just love your story :drivingand I am the same way with public transportation in Seattle, too confusing. How do the Europeans use public transportation so efficiently?!

20. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

That doesn't surprise me even one little bit!