Where does everyone print their photobooks?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Pad' started by jenniferl75, Jan 16, 2016.

1. jenniferl75

jenniferl75 New Member

I was wondering where to print finished photo books besides Shutterfly? Looking for somewhere with the lay-flat option. Thanks!

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Shutterfly has the lay-flat option and I've done several books that way. They are thicker, but the quality is really great. :)

LoveItScrapIt and jenniferl75 like this.
  3. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I used to use Persnickety and was always pleased with them, I think they have a layflat option. But then they were sold, and stopped offering my fav size (10 x 10) so I gave Shutterfly a go again and was pleasantly surprised. I like their coated pages, which are great for books that get read a lot.

LoveItScrapIt and jenniferl75 like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

The only other place I've printed so far besides Shutterfly is MyPublisher (they're a shutterfly brand). I LOVE the quality of their printing and their sales (on black friday I was able to purchase a voucher for $40 that gives me a classic sized photo book with up to 80 pages, lay flat, a book jacket cover and three months to complete it)! BUT... they don't print square books :-( I'm getting ready to work on a book now to use my voucher (our NYC trip) and I'll be using some 8.5x11 templates I got here at TLP to see how they work.

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've made some Wedding Guest Books and printed through My Publisher. Very simple and easy, stunning in person prints, too! I loved doing it... but dislike that I cannot get any other size! They are super cheap and have so many coupons and sales. I wish they offered a couple other square sizes!

6. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I've printed a few books at Mixbook. They are good and always have sales.

7. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I don't often print books - I prefer to print pages and slip them into albums and I use Persnickety Prints for that. I have heard great things about the lay flat books at Adoramapix, but haven't used them myself.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I didn't know that Persnickety was sold. That's a bummer they don't have the 10x10 size anymore. I know that's very popular with a lot of people. I kind of wish I started printing with that size because they would fit on the shelves so much better. But since I started with 12x12 and they all HAVE to match, I'll be printing 12x12 until someone invents a 12x12 table/ebook thingie for me to store ALL my pages on. :)

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am a fan of Shutterfly and those orange boxes just make my day!

bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  10. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I call it the "goldilocks" size (not too big and not too small) and I can't figure out why it isn't even more popular.

bellbird, LoveItScrapIt and lorryfach like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are you sure you meant Persnickety? I'm pretty sure Chari is the one who started it and she still has it. I know they did offer printed books at one time, but it was outsourced, not in house. And they don't do photobooks, because it's a different process than printed pages. Chari wants to offer 10 x 10 printed individual pages, but she can't find anyone who will offer page protectors to fit them, she's contacted all the big companies, with no luck. We had her as a guest at a scrapbook night last Saturday, and we asked her about it!

I've printed LayFlat with Adoramapix. It's a pretty book. It definitely lays flat, with no gutter. I did a 'layflat' with Picaboo, but it had a black gutter, and wasn't truly lay flat, more like lay flatter. Plus, the gutter on a layflat book really annoyed me. All my pages were white background with this big black line down the middle.
    [​IMG] Picaboo with the black gutter
    [​IMG] Adoramapix with no gutter, just seamless.

CherryAllie and jk703 like this.
  12. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Yeah I'm a Shutterfly gal too. I do have one book from Winkflash.

13. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I've had books printed at Blurb, Paper Kiwi and Shutterfly. I've been happy with all of them, but always end up going back to Shutterfly because of their great sales.

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hey! That's me in that Adoramapix book! Bwahahahahaha

You can get Adoramapix Groupons from time to time as well! And they do have sales, you just have to watch for them.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've printed from Blurb, Shutterfly, Adoramapix and Persnickety. I have some reviews on my blog.
    Layflat Shutterfly: http://www.scrappingwithliz.com/2015/01/my-2014-layflat-shutterfly-album.html
    Blurb: http://www.scrappingwithliz.com/2013/08/lydias-printed-album.html
    http://www.scrappingwithliz.com/2012/12/my-blurb-book-review.html
    Adoramapix Layflat: http://www.scrappingwithliz.com/2013/08/adoramapix-albums-coupon-giveaway.html
    Persnickety: http://www.scrappingwithliz.com/2013/08/adoramapix-albums-coupon-giveaway.html

I just got my son's adoption album in the mail last week. I took some pics today and plan on writing a little review sometime this week.

I do plan on printing off my individual 12x12 weekly pages from 2015 from Persnickety Prints and sliding them in a traditional album. I'm waiting for a sale though. ;)

I like to try different things.

QuiltyMom and jk703 like this.
  16. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I print my books at one of 2 places - Shutterfly and AdoramaPix. They both are beautiful and customer service is excellent. I prefer AdoramaPix, but they have an upper limit of 76 pages. Shutterfly has an upper limit of 110 or 120. I order 10x10, lay flat pages because I work mostly in double pages.

If I'm printing just page prints, Persnickety Prints is the only way to go.

herbrock likes this.
  17. herbrock

herbrock Active Member

I was just reading this thread for new ideas, but I've had exactly the same experience as Donna - Persnickety is the way to go for individual pages and I wish there was a 10x10 option. I've printed Adoramapix layflat books and they are lovely, but the page limit pushes me to Shutterfly's 10x10 layflat option. They are perfectly fine. Not nearly as crisp and lovely as Persnickety Prints' prints but they are all bound and allow me to do double pages.

18. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

The last couple of years Persnickety has had a sale over Super Bowl weekend, so those looking for single print pages might want to watch for that.

bellbird and CherryAllie like this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I haven't used layflat with Shutterfly but i like this visual comparison, how strange about that black gutter - i tried a few companies and went back to shutterfly for books based on cost really and the cover templates and such that they have. I print 8x8 and 10x10 books for random pages (sorted only by which kid the LO is about) and order 8x8 single prints for my American Crafts albums with Persnickety for pages i need to be able to shuffle around etc. I think i looked into Adoramapix and they didnt ship to Oz and that was why i havent tried them - pity, i always hear glowing reviews

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

love their print credits!

bestcee likes this.