What is......

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by DixieDoesPSP, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

Okay I have been wondering this for a while now and well I have felt just to darn stupid to ask....But I am going to ask anyway because its driving me insane and I want to know.

A lot of the time when I purchase kits from any store, in the zip file is a file folder called _MACOSX.
    What is it and can I delete it?
    Also many designers include files that seem to link back to their stores or blogs etc etc. (For example .ds Store) Can I delete these as well?

I am trying to save space on my computer.

Huggles and love
    Kellie

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I think the _macosx file is created when someone creates the zip file from a mac computer. I always delete it. There really isn't any reason to keep the files that link back to the designer stores either, but look at the folder, sometimes there's a coupon in there!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Yes, you can delete those. They are Mac-specific and get put there when the person who created the zip used Finder to do it.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yep. I delete all .ds files and all the macosx folders too.

bestcee likes this.
  5. khakisack

khakisack Active Member

Apparently if you use a Mac you don't get those files, lol. I usually delete all the extras except for one copy of the preview and one tou.

jesskab and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. lorryfach

Any "weird" files like _icon or .BridgeSort or whatever, you can just delete. Sometimes they have several previews, and I only need one 600x600. I have no use for the 200x200 or the ones with closeups of stuff, or ones that show the papers in various arrangements, etc. Just one so I get an idea of what's inside. The rest go. And if you didn't already know (I can't remember who asked about this not so long ago!) you do not need the PSDs and the TIFFs and the PNGs of each template. Pick your fave and dump the other formats. I also delete PDFs of journal cards because I never print them in sheets like that.

I think you probably do get the "extras" on a Mac, but you don't see them. Maybe it even uses them for something. I'm not sure!

jesskab and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Same for me.

8. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Now I dont feel so bad deleting all those extras I don't need. I'm always trying to save some space.

jesskab and lorryfach like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep! You don't get that file on a Mac. I believe you used to get a different one if the designer zipped it on a PC? But maybe that has gone away now.

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

windows would have a thumb hidden file

11. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Aaahhh MAC, of course. So obvious when you think about it. Been wondering about that for ages lol

12. lorryfach

There is a program, called ZipCleaner or something like that I think, that can be run on a zip to remove those Mac files, but not all Mac designers use it.

13. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I am so pleased to get these answers as I sat and did searches on all the tous, macosx, store links etc and deleted them all just this weekend. It's embarrassing how many Gb just doing that got rid of!

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  14. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I just worked in this the past weekend. My computer is full, full, full.