Computer Crash Scare!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by MrsPeel, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

These threads make me stress out. every. single. time.

2. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Agreed Karen!

I use Crashplan and pray it will work if I ever need it. I had a failure once and lost about 15 LOs and a lot of scrap supplies (CT downloads), but I know I should be thankful that is all I lost. I still have my photos and can redo the LOs

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

just butting in here! waves hello...I just found out that if you have Amazon Prime(we do) they have a free photo backup. I am in the process of uploading all mine, and our layouts counts as a jpg! woot...unlimited.

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

hey anne! good to see you here!!! i saw you commenting in the gallery the other day and it put a smile on my face. but back to Amazon Prime ... just curious, what it the amt of backup space they provide?

5. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Does anyone use Dropbox or iCloud for storing your scrap stuff? I have been looking thinking of online backup and just wondered if these 2 are even options for this kind of stuff.

6. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it's more expensive unless you don't have very much stuff. I have way more scrap stuff than that the free Dropbox/iCloud plans can handle, and it's twice as much for 1TB backup on Dropbox or iCloud than for CrashPlan to do unlimited backup. I don't see any benefit to that. I'd rather just back up my entire computer scrap stuff, photos, and whatever else, for half the cost.

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Google photos is also supposedly free, unlimited space.

8. gracielou

My reasoning for looking at iCloud or dropbox was because I was thinking of buying a laptop and I was looking at some kind of storage that I could grab from on any of my computers. So if I wanted to sit and scrap on my laptop one night then I would have all my scrapstuff accessible through the cloud or dropbox and I wouldn't be tied to dragging my EHD (which is where all my files live right now) with me everywhere I want to scrap on the laptop. Is this possible through crash plan or is just more for backup and retrieval in case something happens to my computers. I am completely an idiot when it comes to techie stuff like this so I hope I have been clear and not confusing.

9. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I use both Dropbox and iCloud. Microsoft One Drive as well. I do not find iCloud flexible to every device, like my camera thats not my phone. I set up Dropbox to be able to scrap on my iPad. I organize folders of photos and folders of stuff from various designers then use project life, Rhonna and Letterglow. Works a charm

10. klee73010

Yes, drop box could probably work, if you were planning ahead. For instance, moving/copying just what you need for the layouts in mind... as Lorry mentioned, the space and cost could be a factor for everything, but doing it to be able to move about, sounds like it would work for smaller amounts of stash :)

11. lorryfach

CrashPlan is just for backup, so you'd still need the EHD. I'd worry about it being really slow if you had to get everything off of DropBox, but true, you could lose the EHD.

With the price difference, it might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade the internal hard drive.

12. Karen

I store all my scrap stash and all my photos on my EHD and I do drag it with me to whichever computer I'm scrapping on. I love the ability to move all my stuff with me wherever I go. But, I do get that if you're using a laptop on your actual lap, you might not want to do that.

If you are staying with your own house.... a lot of routers these days come with a USB port on them, that you can plug an EHD into and then it works like your own network that you can access via wi-fi from any computer in your wi-fi range.

13. gracielou

I wonder if this is how the Apple Time Machine works? I have looked into buying one of those for my 2nd EHD but I noticed the other day it also acts as a router, which I don't really need because my router is provided through my internet company so I have to use it.

14. klee73010

Some companies will give discounts if you are using your own router. Other companies do require you use theirs, so you can be charged for it. :/

15. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

You are all scaring me so much. I have 2 external hard drives I store all my stuff on because putting a copy on my actual laptop slows my old computer down so much. I dont have any external backup. Ugghhhhh. I see nightmares coming tonight.

16. Karen

I store all my stuff on EHDs Kellie... No need for nightmares. I do have a 2nd internal HD on my desktop that I occasionally copy my EHD to using Microsoft's Synctoy program. I also keep another EHD at work and I back up to that every Friday. That counts as my offsite backup in case of fire or whatever. Again I use SyncToy as it's as easy as one click and it backups up in a short time and I feel better. :)

17. DixieDoesPSP

Karen where does it backup too? So if I have 2 external hard drives and I want to back them up where would i send that back up. Also here is a question for EHD users. My original EHD I didnt know what I was doing when I got the drive. I plugged it in and went through the process of what it said to do as a back up process. What it did was backup pretty much my entire computer which is not what I wanted. I really just wanted it as extra storage. Now it is completely full and it has so much stuff on it probably 75% I dont even care about. Does anyone know what i would do to get rid of all that mess without messing up the functionality of the EHD?

18. lorryfach

You can just delete the stuff you don't want. It's just storage. There really isn't any functionality besides showing up in Explorer/Finder so you can put files on it.

19. DixieDoesPSP

Wow! I just found on this EHD 4502 brushes I forgot I even had!!! OMG How did I accumulate that many?

20. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

After 3 computer crashes with minimal backup, you'd think I'd have tons of backup but I still don't. I need to look into online backup. I only have 1 very full EHD.