Tutorials you would recommend?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by kraftkris, Oct 30, 2015.

1. kraftkris

kraftkris Member

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or class for intermediate skills? For example, one with tips and tricks to be more efficient? I know the basics in PSE, but I want to hone my skills so I can be quicker and get more pages done.

TIA!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

seriously, the best way to me, is to do challenges...try and go a bit above on the challenge. I took a fun class thru Adobe (it was free)...lol, and I learned things about the buttons on CS, I never knew was there.
    To do quick pages, I recommend templates, or scraplifts...oh I love to lift my peers pages.
    but............that all said...
    what is it you would really like to learn, like how'd she do that? which has my brain going?

3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I would first pick one tool to focus on, and do searches for that tool. By focusing on one tool at a time, you limit your searches so you don't get overwhelmed.

That said.... i think "Scrapaneers" does classes? Not sure. I haven't looked into those much. I have classes from someone from Adobe pinned on my digital scrapbooking pinterest board, for when I have money. :)

YouTube videos are free. Many people do "watch me scrap" videos that can always give you inspiration, because everyone has learned a different method that works for them. Sometimes the comments on those videos are enlightening, too! I like to also search blogs/pinterest boards of scrap stores (like here at TLP!) ... some designers have "technique Tuesday/Thursday" blog series you can go through.

Tons and tons of resources, but you have to decide what it is you want to learn, first... :)

Anna Aspens is doing a live class during some convention coming up. I got that email a while ago. I haven't looked it up though.

4. kraftkris

kraftkris Member

Well, what sparked my question was the fact that I spent like 4 hours scrapping last night and barely got a page done. and I was using a template. And I am not even sure where that time went?? I guess some of it was picking papers and elements and stuff.

I have looked for tutorials on youtube but it can be such a time waster! I have thought about scrapaneers too. Thanks!

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh I think maybe...the time making a page is my most favorite...the process of creating. I do know I can lose hours scrapping. But...........when I am pushed to finish a page, or pages (usually to get a coupon to print a book) that is my motivator!

6. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

It is easy to spend hours on just one page. With digital scrapbooking the possibilities can be overwhelming. One thing that I do to get more pages done is to limit my choices of product per layout. Some people (like Cynthia) can mix kits and make it look so easy. I usually look at a kit (colors, an elements, a word art) and am reminded of a moment or a photo and draw from that inspiration. If I stick with one kit, my choices are more limited, but I get pages completed. I don't scrap consecutively as far as date is concerned, except for Project Life pages, but even then I jump all over the place, this helps me get more pages done as well, because I can work on what speaks to me rather than worrying about it all being in date order.

Hope you find something that works for you!
    The YouTube suggestion is a great one. Try search a very specific technique on YouTube, to possibly narrow down the search.

Oh! There are actions, scripts, and styles for Photoshop that do some of the repetitive things for you.

One more thing... There are a few great posts on the blog that might help you.
    Playing Catch Up (this is mainly about Project Life, but I find it to be helpful for other types of scrapping.
    Making Time to Scrap
    Finding Balance
    Jumpstarting Your Mojo

KellyM likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I like YouTube, but for specific things I've been loving the Scrapaneers Champions classes. Each month there's a topic, and the lessons support that topic - from basic to more intense. Even if it's something I've known how to do, I've learned something new. And it shows both pse and ps which is great for me since I use pse :)

Now, to make time to catch up on the last two months... Whoops!

8. klee73010

Really figuring out how you scrap is going to help. If you like to mix, you need to have a really good organization set up that works for you, and saves time scrapping. If not, as Trista stated, limiting it can be beneficial.

For templates. ... i find I'm 50 50 with those. Either they really speed up my process, or they really slow it down. I haven't figured out why, either! Lol. I know I posted a thread not too long ago about templates, and making them work for you. Perhaps that's a resource you might find helpful!

Here's the link: https://the-lilypad.com/forums/show...mplates-work-for-you?highlight=make+templates

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  9. klee73010

Okay... i found my site I had pinned, and found another:

Digitalscrapper.com
    Naods.com (national association of digital scrapbooking)

Both offer classes on PSE and PS. Membership options, as well as classes by themselves. I also stand by my original option of youTube for videos, and pinterest/google/designer/store blogs for posts. I know of one designer off hand that uses Vimeo, too.

keepscrappin likes this.