PL Book Display/Storage... need opinions please

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Oct 1, 2015.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I've been on the hunt for a while trying to find something for my family room where I can store my PL albums (12x12 photo books). And today, I think I may have found something... but I'm concerned that it might be too industrial looking. Thoughts?

Here is the piece...
    [​IMG]

And here is where it would go...
    [​IMG]

Does it go or is it too much of a stretch?

Thanks!

KellyM likes this.
  2. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Ooooooh, Tracie! I LOVE it! It's SOOOOOO perfect!!!! Do it! Do it! Do it!

3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

It's industrial in an antiques sort of way. I like eclectic anyway, so I say go for it. Does it come with the pottery? That looks interesting too.

4. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I love it!! I say go for it. I would classify it as more minimalist :) I think it would look great in that room.

5. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

Gosh, it's all down to personal taste, I guess. I love your living room BTW, very classy!

I think the shelves would look great, but not the wheels, too industrial for your space. I would change them for feet, and maybe stain the shelves. Just another opinion xx

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love those shelves, but I think I agree with Kate about the casters. You could easily just take them off and set the shelves on the floor or buy some felt pads to put on the bottom.

7. tkradtke

Thanks so much for the help everyone! The wheels were what was throwing me off too... but I think we can work with them. I have just been looking for so long for something that would hold my 12x12 books that I actually liked. This may be the winner! I'll drag my husband over there this weekend to see if he agrees.

I hadn't really thought about the pottery Lindzee... but the more I look at the photo, the more I think I might have to add some of the blue pieces! I so love this store. We bought a metal bench and a cool yellow side table there for our entry. I really think I want that Chicago flag wall art piece in the lower right of the photo for our downstairs powder room. I didn't even let myself go explore their basement this time. :-)

8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love that piece, I can see how the casters are throwing you off. I would say buy it and if the casters don't work then replace them. I think it would look fine. btw. where are you buying? I need that shelving unit for my books!

9. tkradtke

That's my attitude right now... start with them on and change them out somehow if they don't work out.

Here's the place... Wrightwood Furniture. It's about two blocks from my house... let me know if you want to come check things out in person! :-)

10. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I think it will look lovely in your house! I agree that those casters have to go. That is usually a fairly easy fix. I would even ask the furniture store if they do things like that. They may be able to fix that problem right away for you.

11. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Update us with a picture and all your books in it if you do get it!

12. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I think it is a beautiful piece! I would remove the wheels in favor of another type of leg or just flush with the floor. It's very difficult to find pieces where the shelves are deep enough for 12X12. I've heard that Ikea has some, but they probably wouldn't fit with your more traditional decor.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  13. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I am soooo in love with that piece! That is fabulous, and I think the wood tones are going to work amazing in your space. :flirty

14. readingfool

readingfool Well-Known Member

I agree with the "no wheels" group, but completely love the shelves otherwise. Please share some pics once you've gotten it set up, it's going to be fabulous in your home!

15. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

16. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Yes, the unit is cool. I like the casters. My only concern would be the scale. I think you need two units one on each side of the fireplace to maintain scale and balance. I think the larger unit with the small curio cabinet would be off balance. I think with two units the casters would look very cool with your other furniture and would look so nice with a fire in the fireplace.

17. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

I love it!!! Oh I so think you should do it. I adore the industrial look to it.

18. tkradtke

Still working on this. I took my husband in today and he really didn't like it. His chief complaint was how big it was and what would we fill it with. So, we wandered through the store and found another option which he really liked and I wasn't a big fan of. THEN... the kids came in (they had been down at the thrift store down the block). He showed them both options, his first. They both liked it but then when they showed them this one, they both said the loved it and thought it was really cool. :-) We still walked out without it though. :-( I'm not letting it go though!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  19. Luly G

Luly G CT - Just Jaimee

Traci I really like but you do need to think about balance on other side of fireplace- not that I think your original choice would overwhelm. Doesn't need to be same unit but something with similar weight or scale I think you photo is deceiving since you room has a very nice scale and is much larger that the photo indicates.

20. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

No update anymore? :D