San Francisco, anyone?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Lynnette, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

DH and I will be spending three whole kid-free days in SF in July. Woooo!:woot
    The thing is, we've both been a few times before and we've done the major touristy stuff, so we're looking for some off the beaten path recommendations. We will likely see a Giants game, and probably rent bikes to ride around a bit, but other than that we're open. We'll have a rental car so we can travel out a bit too and we like outdoorsy stuff. I'd especially love any food/restaurant recommendations! Anyone here from or live in the bay area? I'd love your help! :beat

2. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

They used to have a tour of giants stadium. The duck tours are fun too.

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

How fun! I don't know a thing about SF, but wishing you an awesome time.

Stop and ask the locals once you get there... they can point you to the best food at least :)

4. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

You should definitely hit up Pier 39, and find the windiest street in North America (the world?), maybe go up to Coit Tower and go across the Golden Gate Bridge. There are fantastic restaurants all over the city - so you should look some up before you head over there. Sausalito is a cool city to visit, and of course there is always Alcatraz. You could also go on a boat tour through the bay.

5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I'm in the Bay Area. East of Oakland. If you rent bikes, you can ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, do lunch in Sausalito and either ride back or take the bikes on a ferry across the bay. You could go to Angel Island and ride bikes there.

If you think Alcatraz might be fun, check now for tickets, they book far out.

If you like wine, you could drive up to Sonoma or Napa. Livermore Valley is close too. If the Giants aren't in town, check the A's. You could take Bart into Oakland and skip the drive.

If you like museums there are some great ones too.

You could hit up the Muir Woods. If you like hiking try this .... http://www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-san-francisco-california

Have a super duper fun time!!!

6. Lynnette

Ooh I like the Muir Woods idea... haven't been there before! We talked about driving to Yosemite too, though that seems a bit far to me...
    Thanks for the biking recommendations too, I'll check into those. A boat tour would be super fun too.

7. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm so jealous! I love the Bay area! When I've been I visited a friend who took me to awesome restaurants and stuff but I have no idea anymore what they were. I'm sure there are plenty. :giggle

8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Sausalito is soooooooooooo pretty! I loved the imaginarium museum when I went, but I went with kids. It's like a science museum. We ate at hard rock cafe, because we'd never been to one. I would have loved to go through the Ghirardelli chocolate factory. And I love love love riding the trolley. Idk why. Haha!

9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

napa is my home, and my parents love visitors! tee hee for reals! you can rent bikes in Napa...
    There also is a beautiful walking trail that goes thru Napa, The Riverfront it is all new! I am amazed at how beautiful it is!
    Perhaps ride the Wine Train? have dinner and cruise in a train that goes thru the valley.
    in the city:
    I love walking the golden gate bridge EVERYtime I go to the city.
    ghirardelli square is just fun!

this is a great review from the local paper of a great breakfast and walk
    http://napavalleyregister.com/lifes...cle_dc5d83ce-6621-11e0-b4c5-001cc4c03286.html

10. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

Muir Woods is fun.
    Biking across the bridge is great
    The zoo is fun, too, if you like that kind of thing.
    Chinatown is awesome.
    Palace of Fine Arts and Exploratorium are fun.
    Ride the cable cars everywhere if you can... there's also the Cable Car Museum
    ...and drive Lombard Street.

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm in agreement in taking a day to go to Sausalito and Muir Woods, since you're only there for 3 days and both are close enough. Sausalito is just gorgeous ... and its fun to look at all the house boats! Or you head to the ocean for a day trip ... Monterey and Santa Cruz, Capitola or Carmel. Seeing the sunset over the Pacific is lovely! Bring a bottle of wine and a blanket and plan to spend a bit of time on a quiet beach at sunset, there are so many little secluded nooks all along the coast.

In SF ... you say you've done most of the touristy stuff, so guessing you've done golden gate and the pier ... did you get to see Golden Gate Park? There's a section that has bison/buffalo. There's an awesome Japanese Tea Garden and the Botanical Gardens.

And I just loved visiting all the different neighborhoods ... all so unique and different. Maybe a little sight seeing drive to see all the unique neighborhoods? Or bike ride if you plan a few close ones.

Have fun, sounds like a nice little trip for you & hubby!

12. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Half Moon Bay, Princeton Seafood Company. Go to Montara Beach & drive a bit down the coast for lunch. Around here is where they do the Mavericks surf competiton every year. I go here http://sf.funcheap.com/ every weekend for ideas all over the bay area. This is where I've found gems like National Corndog Day & the Dutch Queens Day Festival in Golden Gate Park. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has free concerts & movies on the beach during the summer. Admission is free to the park, you pay per ride. The old wooden Giant Dipper roller coaster is a classic. You must have a caramel apple and/or fresh salt water taffy. Have fun!

13. amandajane

amandajane amandajane

How fun! I am sure you will have a great time whatever you do! Just remember summer in the Bay Area is not that warm. Monterey and Carmel are gorgeous and not too far, but I lived there so I could be a bit biased.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've never been and have always wanted to go... now after reading everyone's comments, I REALLY want to go! Hope you have a fabulous trip! :)

15. Lynnette

Thank you for all the great suggestions - I'm just sad I won't be able to squeeze in everything listed here! You guys are the best. :) So excited to start making more concrete plans.

16. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Alcatraz at night is very cool. Since I was lagging behind taking pictures, the park ranger took us along underground to help her lock up. That was really neat.

17. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

Yes, all of the above. Santa Cruz is where I grew up so I always have to take a trip back home. Muir Woods is amazing, drive through Felton and Boulder Creek area up in the mountains...I love it all!

18. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I live in the South Bay - less than a mile from Apple. I see people taking pictures in front of the Apple main building all the time.

We've only been up to San Francisco a few times. If you like science museums, I would recommend the California Academy of Sciences. I think we've been 3 times. It has a 4 story rain forest to walk through and a pretty neat aquarium, as well as other exhibits. It is right in the middle of Golden Gate Park, and is across from the art museum, and there is also the Japanese Garden and the conservatory of flowers (although we haven't been to those others, so I can't comment on those). I imagine you could make a day of hitting a few of those spots all in one place.

We went to Pier 39 a few weeks ago, and it was just way too touristy and crowded for me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015