Pad Patter 4/24: Last book

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Apr 24, 2015.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

2. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I just recently read The Girl on the Train. It was a quick read and kept me entertained even though all of the characters were definitely flawed and kinda crazy.

3. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

I am not a big reader, but the last book I read all the way thru was on the way back from a business trip in Atlanta last year - it was the Fault in Our Stars (and I bought it in Atlanta and finished it in the 5 hours of traveling I had - not sure I have EVER done that). I have have the movie too now - I loved it.

The other two books I have read and enjoyed and did finish (which, again, is rare), is Jesus Freaks: The Prodigal, and Jesus Freaks: Sins of the Father. I think Renee from here turned me on to this series and I seriously can't wait for the next one to come out!

4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I've been on a lighter kick lately - Finished the Rosie Project, currently reading the Rosie Effect. The last book I read that I truly loved was Three Souls by Janie Chang.

5. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I read non-fiction for information generally. I read them until I get the info I'm after which means I may not finish them. I'm currently reading How to Lead Your Child To Christ and I went all the way through Photographing Your Children by Jen Altman.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I liked this book as well. Was a fast read but very engaging.

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

The last book I read was Eleanor and Park... I really liked it. I feel strange writing that since it's a little dark. But I loved the way it was written and I couldn't put it down.

8. scrapsandsass

I have that on my to-read list. I loved her book The Attachments. :) I also have Landline to read, but haven't started it yet.

Even though I thought I had my book addiction under control, today I received a package from Amazon (don't tell my hubby). I'm excited to read Practicing Peace by Pema Chodron, If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino, and It Chooses You by Miranda July.

9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm on the wait list at the library for Landline... I'll have to check out The Attachments!

10. renee82

renee82 renee82

The last book that I read that I loved was "In the Stillness" by Andrea Randall... so much emotion. Soooo good!

11. shaynesgirl

shaynesgirl All I need is a pink Corvette!

I just finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. It is a teen book, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely better than the movie based on it!

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm reading the last book in The Testing series atm (it's Hunger Games-ish down to the politcal rebellion ending but set in the academic world). It got mixed reviews but I was hooked from the start.
    I'm also audiobooking The Second Life of Amy Archer and the narration is excellent (audiobooks can be very hit and miss IMHO) and it's got the Gone Girl 'is she or isnt she' a reliable narrator aspect to it.
    Last year my favourite book was Mr Penumbra's 24hr Bookstore - it was a bit DaVinci Code with history and mystery, and a bit Rosie Project in terms of humour

13. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

LOVED every minute of the movie!!!!! I'm a bit weird in a sense that, if I see the movie, wont enjoy reading the book, and, if I enjoy the book, apart from a very very rarely case like Agatha Christie's Poirot played by David Suchet...I wont want to watch TV series or movies.....
    I love Michael Connelly 's detective Bosh's books, but went to look into the Amazon series videos....they cast a guy that ruined my idea of Bosh I had for almost 8 years......so no watching-
    I read a lot of crime novels, Connelly & Baldacci, and love the British Val Mc Dermitt writer of Wire in the Blood.
    Now, don't laugh- but I find that because I'm on an old Kindle (and I have serious memory problems) and dont see the covers, I forget even the name of the book I'm reading....
    I think the last book that impressed me a lot was a sci fi called Face Time...

I know that I don't read as much as I did, because I rather be scrapping

but I have now 7 Cecilia Ahern books I bought for less that £1 and still have not read, any of you have read her books? she is amazing!!!!!!

14. scrapsandsass

I just finished It Chooses You by Miranda July. It was a super fast read, and really kind of interesting. It is a non-fiction book about a writer who is procrastinating or stuck in a project, so she starts interviewing people who place for-sale ads in the Pennysaver paper. There are a lot of interesting characters she runs across. I think I liked it because I'm a total people watcher and always curious about people's stories. :)

15. ArisaMinamoto

ArisaMinamoto Crazy for Coffee

me before you from Jojo Moyes. the saddest book I've ever read. I have cried so much.

16. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Agree. I bawled at that one.

17. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I just finished KMM's Burned a few weeks ago. Took me a minute to get into it, but I completely enjoyed it once Igot going. And I had a day of mourning when I was finished with it. :giggle

18. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

do you guys notice changing taste about the books you love to read along the years?
    I know I was crazy on the super natural & horror when I was in my teens, scary fiction I couldn't get enough, then I went onto Agatha Christie and more kind of mystery, then non fiction,
    I always liked crime books but I'm not sure, maybe because now the reality crime is so out there with media I'm not that keen...also used to love emotional stuff...now? maybe is just the aging thing, but if I know a book will make me cry ...I'm not too likely to read it,
    same with film,
    I'm always looking for comedy, something that either makes me laugh or very light romance that will make me smile....

if any of you like emotional, one of the finest books I ever read from a British writer is called Speaking of Love by Angela Young
    it is about the story tellers all over England and mental health issues , wonderfully written, told by a few of the characters so its very dynamic.
    I cried, lots, and lots...but it left me with such a different view of the British

19. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

It is almost summer time which means I get to read again! :)

Lots of the ones that have been mentioned are on my 'to read' list. Last summer I read Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan that I really enjoyed. One of my favorite books from the last couple of years was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand--it was phenomenal.

This school year in bits and pieces I have been reading Raising Respectful Kids in a Disrespectful World and it has been excellent as well.