Are you the listmaker, the scheduler or the unplanned one?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Monday morning brings a fresh to-do list for me. I've talked to several friends lately who consider themselves "not planners" so they don't really keep lists or schedules of what they need to do. So, I am curious...how many of you keep lists or schedules?

I think I have a list for everything, which I pretty much organize by what I need to get done in a given week rather than set times. I keep my meetings in my phone and write them on my list too. I love my little notebooks where I keep my notes, ideas and, of course, lists. My schedule is looser. I guess I am more task-oriented than by the clock.

If you're "unplanned" - does it work for you? Or do you wish you were more scheduled?

Ohhh one other question, for the planners, do you "schedule" your creative time too?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I make a list occasionally but rarely look at it. I use the "shotgun" approach - I get started doing what I need to do then get pulled away by a distraction, return later to the task... on and on. Since retiring in June from a 30+year teaching career, I'm still trying to find my grove. I've dived pretty deeply into scrapping since I had to do it in snatches while teaching, so a LOT of other things have been put on the back burner. I'm slowing moving out into projects and it feels good. I haven't quite found a great routine, yet.

3. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I am a bit of all of them depending on day and situations.

I use my phone to for all appointments that Braeden and I have like dr. chiro, dentist as well as hockey practice/games and baseball practice/games. He umps during the summer months so division, time and park are in our phones and he has a little pocket planner that he puts them in to take to scheduling meetings. I have a calendar on my fridge but rarely use it, do so when I remember and most times I am lucky if I am on the correct month, lol.

At work I use my desk calendar as well as a daily one on my computer. I track which students came in, time and reason as well as meetings, school events. Basically it takes the place of my old day book.

I make lists for grocery store, things to do around the house, budget ideas etc. but then employ Diane's approach--shotgun, lol.

Summer I do no planning at all, zero, zilch, nada. We are so scheduled from September to June that I love to just do whatever whenever. It is nothing for us to not eat dinner until 7-8 at night just because we can :)

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Hello, My name is Jen and I'm a List-a-holic.

I sometimes write things on my lists that I've already done, just for the satisfaction of checking them off :giggle

True Story.

5. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I am definitely a planner, and sometimes a list maker.

This year, I started planning a monthly menu and that has helped me a ton!! I print a blank calendar at the beginning of the month and go through and make a meal plan for everyday--some of it is leftovers or if I know that we have a date planned or something--but everyday has something on it. That has helped me a TON so that when I make a grocery list at the end of the week, I already have a menu made and just need to make a list to shop by for the week.

In school, I try to plan loosely where I am trying to get to in my books for the semester and then base my weekly lesson plans off of that.

I sometimes will make a list of things that I want to accomplish in a day or a time frame and work through that, but I don't think I do that all that often. Sometimes if the boys are helping me clean the house, we will make a list of tasks so that we can go through and mark them off, they seem to like that!

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm sometimes a planner, and a half of a listmaker. I say half, only because half is written and half is in my head, and I do use an occasional stickie note to remind myself of things. I realize that I need to start writing down things, for when my mind goes, lol, so I try to make lists... but then my memory serves me better, and usually find the list after.

I seem to have a true list for something that stresses me out - like planning what to do with my kids for 10 weeks this summer, and not pay an arm and a leg for. That has a list of 10 weeks, and approx 6 covered - what am I going to do!? Argh!

I like to plan for things weekly. Monthly... I have an idea of what is coming up for the next month. Bigger things we usually plan for, like trips/vacations.

Oddly... after writing all of that, this sounds weird. I'm super organized. Like over the top. I am also simple - like for bill paying, scrap deadlines, and school/kids stuff. I like to keep it simple, and my life is easier.

7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I track my work schedule in the Outlook Calendar which I have access to from my phone, ipad, home computer etc. I like a single source of truth.. . If there is something personal which is later than happening this week I will put it in my outlook calendar and mark it private. Otherwise I think I am like Diane and use the shotgun method. I do make lists before I leave for the grocery store or what to not forget to pack when traveling - but mostly I mislay them or forget them at home, so lists aren't particularly helpful to me in the now. Occasionally I am like Jen and I will make a list of whats done so I make sure I got everything... (not that it helps me if I did forget something, but I guess it makes me feel better....) :giggle

8. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I buy 3x5 cards in big bulk!
    I write lists for everything. I have a huge calendar that is the master...and a small pocket one that I transfer. I have tried to go electronic but can't "SEE" the whole picture.
    I have lists of photos to scrap, food to buy, count down list for fellowships (or the wedding), I plan life out. We have spring break...
    Monday - library, park, errands Tuesday-free play mom scrap and clean(they too are cleaning), Wed out of town trip (nursery for church that night) Thurs swimming at pool, Friday - creek with big group of friends...yada yada...and I know I need a list for each day...food to have on hand. Things I need to buy for the week! I love lists, love them

9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm a planner... but it's all in my head :-/

I'm definitely not a list maker... I have tried it in the past and it doesn't work for me. I love the act of making a list and have entirely too much fun adding things to it... it ends up that most of those things end up being "nice to haves" vs. "must haves". My list looks entirely too long, I get overwhelmed and abandon the whole thing.

I've tried google calendars too that everyone in the family can access, but I didn't love that either.

I'm really, seriously itching to buy a planner to play with and keep things organized since I need to be more proactive vs. always reacting to things.

10. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I'm in love with the idea of being organized via plans and lists, but in reality I'm that shotgun approach. About the only list I use is a grocery list.

11. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

I have notebooks everywhere for lists and post it notes stuck here and there with reminders plus a family calendar on the wall in the kitchen - shopping lists are a must as hubby does the weekly shop while I take Ty karate and I have a meal plan for the weeks dinners stuck up in the kitchen - I really want to start a planner and make it all pretty but I don't want to start it till january2016 as I really don't want to start one part way through the year - I wish I'd thought to start one at the end of 2014 so I could be prepared - instead I'm going to start collecting supplies for next year around October time - so that will be another list LOL xx

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm definitely more task-oriented too. I make lists and I note appointments in a calendar but I don't tend to work out what from my list I'll do when. I just have the list when I need to figure out what's available to do.

13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I am totally a list maker! My problem (as you know). Is remembering where I put the dang list!!

14. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I'm an un-planner who desperately needs to start list making and calendar keeping... too many things not getting done and too many missed appts or double booking lately.

15. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I am without a doubt:

1. A planner - I sit down every Sunday night and survey the week ahead. What meetings do I have? What deadlines are coming up?
    2. A calendar freak - I live by Outlook calendar for both my school and personal items. The few people who have access to my calendar (my principal, a counselor) are friends as well, so they don't mind seeing that the dog has a grooming appointment.
    3. A task-oriented person - My electronic task list (Todoist) gets updated every day as part of my end of day routine
    4. Apparently, a list maker ;)

16. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

And I don't "schedule" creative time, however, I know in the back of my head that weekend mornings is when I really get time to scrap, and during tv shows is when I can crochet.

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I make lists - but I loose them
    I have a schedule so I don't forget appointments - but I forget to look at it and I'm always missing stuff.
    I guess I'm unplanned by nature. Ha!

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I'm a messy ness wish I could schedule myself.

19. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I'm totally a listmaker. It's what I do. I like my schedules as well. Things always work out best if I totally plan out my life. Unfortunately I'm not always as consistent in this as I would like to be.

20. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Still figuring out what works for me. Not really a scheduler, but I am working on at least setting aside days for school work, errands. The calendar on my computer is helping straighten that out a little more. Lists -- make them and ignore them. Actually I'm getting better at it. I know I don't make the most of my time by being unplanned and I am making steps toward some organization.