M3 February Challenge #3 - scrapbook template --> collage art journal page

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by heathergw, Mar 6, 2015.

1. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

Happy weekend M3ers! I'm excited to bring you a new challenge, and a technique that is one of my faves! I love using scrapbook templates to create an art journal page. It's great to have a design already laid out for you.

"Collage" style is layering of papers that are glued down. Because they are glued down they usually have very small shadows. After the papers have been stacked on, paint is usually added over the top to "embed" them into the background.

This makes using templates fun because the papers stacks are already there for you. The key is to make the shadows smaller so they look like they are glued down and part of the background. I've been using this technique a lot recently. I did it last month in this tutorial

Converting a Scrapbook Template Into a Collage Style Art Journal Page Template

and I also used a template in my process video for the current M3 kit.

February 2015 M3 Process Video

So, my challenge for you is to take a scrapbook template and turn it into a "collage" style art journal page. Here is my page I created for this challenge.

I used this M3 January 2015 add-on template set from Just Jaimee:
    [​IMG]

In place of the paper banner strips, I used the Headlines add-on by Lynne-Marie:
    [​IMG]

I then took out the photo spots, and replaced the frames with round paint embellishments from the February 2015 M3 Main Kit, and also replaced the title spot with one of the Headlines. The background and paper strip were created using the Main Kit also.

[​IMG]

M3 Challenge Guidelines:
    You have 2 weeks to complete this challenge and it will end on Friday night, March 20th.

-Your page must contain at least 60% M3 products
    -Post your page in this thread and the M3 gallery​

One person will win a $10 coupon to Little Butterfly Wing's store

2. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

Hope I got it right :) I also used Just Jamie's template from the January kit but the rest is from the February Monthly.
    [​IMG]

3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Hope I did this right. I re-sized the template, removed the photo place holders and replaced the circles and elements with similar shaped paint and word art.
    [​IMG]

4. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I found this an incredible way to start my AJ page. In the end, I can't hardly tell the template was my jumping off point, but it really was helpful. I actually kept the frames, not their shadows though.
    Here's the template I used:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

no idea what a collage page is

[​IMG]

m3 feb kit template

[​IMG]

6. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

thanks for participating ladies, I love your pages using a template! random.org chose dvhoward, Congrats Diane, sending you a PM in just a bit!