Pad Patter: 2/19 Green Thumb?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 19, 2015.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I live smack in the middle of brown, dusty desert:
    [​IMG]
    so the inside of my house is filled with live green plants. I am crazy picking the dead leaves off them. I only use good reverse osmosis water on them, and when they get thick, I start new plants. I think I have over 30 plants in my house. A couple are over 7 feet tall! lol! I might have an addiction!
    Do you grow inside or out?

ps...the green clumps in the front of the photo? That is baby tumble weed! lol, in a few months, they will be 4 to 5 feet tall, dry up and the 40 MPH winds will send them all over the basin floor of my town!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

nope. my thumb is so brown i can kill a boston fern (supposedly those can live anywhere - pssh!)

we have lots of plants in our yard and garden though (established, heirloom plants - azaleas, hydrangeas, roses) and as long as i don't mess with them, they do just fine! ;)

3. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I love gardening!!! We moved last summer from my grandma's house, where she had an AMAZING garden for over 50 years - to a place that didn't have a plot in it :( So I had to make do with some container gardening - SO not the same!!! But this year, I'm hoping to put some permanent raised planters in!
    As for inside...I try to keep plants going, but unless they are pretty hardy - they just don't survive.

4. Dana

Dana Dana

oh gosh - i am the worst :( i can't keep anything alive - inside or out!

5. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I live in Seattle so it's very GREEN everywhere here. I do have some difficulty with flowering bushes (I always forget to feed them) outside. My house is surrounded by 30+ feet pine/fir trees so I don't have the best lighting for indoor plants so I live with looking outside for beautiful greenery.

6. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I am great with my outdoor garden and actually extended my front one last year. Indoor plants however I am terrible with, cannot keep them alive.

7. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I used to have a green thumb but just got lazy and would let everything die. :( I do love having plants and flowers but it's not worth it for me until I can keep them alive. :giggle

8. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I'm terrible. the only plant I have ever been able to keep alive is a Philodendren who I affectionately call Phil, and that is only because he droops and lets me know when he needs to be watered.

9. katieFLapple

katieFLapple Active Member

I am terrible with plants. DH is in charge of all the outside plants and we don't have any inside because I just kill them.

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Nope. No green thumb... I have killed (unintentionally) a cactus. Sadly. I love plants and manage to direct hubby on the outside flowers/plants, but I do not manage to keep them alive indoors.

11. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have one plant inside of the house that is doing okay - and during the spring and summer we have both annuals and perennials outside. The weather here (Northern IL) can be funky during the summer, so I can use that excuse when the annuals do not do well.

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

The cactus isn't dead yet. It's actually my daughter's, which may be why. I've killed everything before it.

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

started my first out door veggie garden 2 years ago. had no idea what i was doing, but mostly everything grew, and it was fun. i just went to the garden store yesterday for seeds, soil, seed starter pots, etc. i'm excited to do it again this year. :thumbsups

outside we have a lot of landscaping that we designed ourselves. i don't do much to it at all and it grows and blooms and looks great (spring through fall). i love being outside in my yard. but inside, i do not do so well. have managed to kill just about everything. i have an ivy topiary in my kitchen that is hanging on for dear life. :whistle

anne ... your home sounds so lovely with all that greenery inside. i would love to have house plants everywhere!

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Does this answer your question? Ha ha!

[​IMG]

Actually I one plant at work that I've not only kept alive, but I repotted it in the fall and it's actually thriving. But I definitely know which plants are super hardy and easier for me to keep alive when I forget to water...

15. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Nope. I am way too lazy. I could keep things alive if I'd apply myself - we used to have a great veggie garden but honestly I just hate weeding. Luckily Eric has past landscaping experience and keeps all of our plants alive outside. My mom is an amazing gardener and I think my failure just drives her nuts. :D

I got a violet from my grandma's funeral and I am trying very hard to keep that sucker alive.

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Not me! I'm terrible. I'm loosing the battle with some orchids right now.

17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ohh I used to have a Brazilian forest in my places here in London, all stopped when I lost more mobility...until 2009 we still had a considerable amount of plants...now we have false ones :(