Fonts? OTF or TTF

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by dvhoward, Feb 19, 2015.

1. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

When I buy fonts, I see some have OTF and TTF fonts. Should I install both or only one. I'm a PSE user for now, but hope one day to move up to PS CC. I am not a designer. I do not have a web site, only a personal blog.

Most of my recent font purchases have come with webfonts. What are they and do I need them?

I know there are a lot of font addicts out there...so share, share, share your insights...pleeeeease?

Did some googling and found out about webfonts and desktop fonts. No webfonts for me. Here's one place where I learned that info:
    http://www.fontspring.com/support/general/difference-between-desktop-font-and-webfont

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

OTF. They are cross platform and have more characters typically.

3. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Oh that's good to know, Molly! I always thought TTF. TFS :)

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Thanks Molly! I didn't know that!

5. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

Thank you, More characters sound better. But are they as clear as a true font

6. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I did some research and found out that they are and they actually use less space. That's the font type I'm going to choose when I'm offered the choice.

7. christina

christina christina

Good info to know as I have always picked the ttf file :) Thanks Molly :heartlub

8. mollyc

OTF is a newer and better format. A lot of the scripty fonts that are popular now have more characters that can be accessed in design programs. Like alternates for different swashes, etc. PS can access some of them but not all of them. Programs like Illustrator can access all of them but typically the price for OTF and TTF is the same and OTF gives you more options down the line. And they run on Mac and PC, whereas TTF files typically you have to buy for a specific operating system.

But, even though PS can't access all the alternates, it can access some of them, which gives you a wider range of kerning, styling, etc. Always choose OTF when given the option.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

How do you get to alternate glyphs in PS?

10. mollyc

From the character panel right click on the upper right and go to the Open Type menu and you will see various alternates. Contextual ligatures (will kern specific letter pairs), Swashes, etc.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow! Lots of great info in here! I didn't know you could see the alternates in PS either. Going to check that out tonight!

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

You've just made my day!