Shadows

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Feb 17, 2015.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Wondering if you change up shadows from layout to layout ... or do you stick with whatever works the best for you?

I usually do not change mine - I have them set up with a script.

2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I like to change them up but usually start from a somewhat standard spot.

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I adore tweaking shadows...from changing the blend mode or the color. If there is a dramatic shadow in the photo, I will use that angle for my elements and such too. I can spend as much time on shadows as I do on the whole page!

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I usually only tweak a flower, string or leaf. As I learned what I liked, I started saving my shadow styles, and now have oodles saved for types of elements - fastener, button, paper/opposite side, string, stitch.... I think I have about 75, lol! So, now, it's usually just click, click, click, and a smidge of tweak.

5. Jen

Jen I believe in patterns & conspiracies!

I start from a standard shadow style, then tweak as I feel appropriate.

6. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I bought shadow kits from a number of designers. I tend to use one of them the most. I will make a shadow on its own layer (PSE) if I need to really customize it further.

7. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I have styles for various kinds of elements, then I tweak papers and more dimensional elements to look more realistic.

8. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I have no idea how it goes on PSE or any Photoshop, my program has a really easy tool for shadows, but I stilll dont know how to use it properly, so with me, is a bit of a hit & miss LOL

9. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

i'm a tweaker.

10. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

I have a couple of trusted styles saved but would tweak the shadows based on the amount of layering I'm doing. I usually love to play and pay more attention to strings, ribbons and washi tapes to ensure they look realistic. Dodging and burning tools and blending modes are my best friends. But this is one area where I feel I need to learn the most :)
    Any ideas for doing a tutorial on shadowing from some of the poineers?!!! Haven't seen one in a while :)

11. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

i've used Peppermint's shadow styles-- but I need to mix it up and tweak some stuff. I tweaked a few on a recent page and need to do that more often.

12. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

depends on how lazy I am feeling. :giggle

13. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I usually use Peppermint's styles as a jumping off point and then tweak from there. I almost always tweak.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I usually play with my shadows on each page. I just love the extra bit of realism it adds too much. I find that the more I learn, the long each page takes me. Lol.

15. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I'm a tweaker, really loving that wave action that was here at the pad somewhere.

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I tweak every which way I can.

17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I use One Little Bird Designs and seldom tweak.
    I would rather be scrapping the next page. My peeps are more interested in reading the jounaling and exclaiming over the photos than examining my shadow work!

18. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

19. PuSticks

PuSticks Oh, bother

I start with the same set all most of the time and then play with each one if needed. I really need to start saving some of the ones I've used/altered a lot :) maybe that's what I'll work on this weekend!

20. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I have styles I have created but rarely use them. I have a certain number I start at depending on the type of page and layering and I adjust them from there (using the copy/paste layer style option in PS). Sometimes I may separate the shadow layer and play around but it's not very often. If I could choose and edit my photos and quick as I shadow, I might be able to get more pages done. :)