It's Official

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jaye, Feb 11, 2015.

1. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

my son got an offer from his first choice college yesterday. . . he is going to accept. :cry While I am excited for him I wish he would choose his second choice as it is an hour closer to home :whistle

He did not choose any local schools, the closest is 3 hours from home (the one I want him to attend) :giggle

What a crazy but exciting moment, hard to believe and boy do we have some work to do in him living on his own. . .he would live on pizza and change his sheets monthly. *sigh*

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

That is so exciting for him... and so hard but exciting for you too! Hugs Jaye!

3. jaye

thanks Jenn, it feels surreal.

4. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

What a momentous time for your son! It will be filled with all sorts of emotions - and, in a blink of an eye, he will be out of school! Treasure these moments!!! (And kudos to him for being accepted to his first choice!!)

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

wow! what an accomplishment! congrats ... that is so exciting for him and so scary for you.

6. buzinettescrap

buzinettescrap I'm just a geek with dizzy feet!

super exciting moment for him and you !!

7. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Wow, Congratulations! I am sure it is so bittersweet for you.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well, that is super exciting for him that he was accepted to his first choice school. That doesn't always happen, so you should be super proud of him. I totally laughed at you saying he'll live on pizza and never change his sheets. I always say that going away to college is almost more about learning to live outside of the nest than it is about the learning the book stuff. :) Just think, when I went away to college we had to pay for long distance calls, so it was communication only by written letters. In the middle of college I got my first email account too and my Dad was tech savvy enough that he had email at home too. Be thankful that you have things like Skype, Facebook and emails so you can at least have a chance to see him without him having to drive home all the time.

9. katieFLapple

katieFLapple Active Member

Congrats to him and to you for getting him this far! I don't look forward to those days, but I bet he will do wonderfully!

10. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

How bittersweet! Congrats to your son! :beat

11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

that is really quite exciting! It's great to be able to celebrate successes with our kids!
    I know (from watching how my husband and his roommates made their way through college) that he may very well live on pizza and change his sheets once a month, but those are the little things you don't sweat! He'll find his way and figure it out as he goes. And the day will come when he's not hungry for pizza, and he decides to eat something else instead. It is all a maturing process, and part of the path to being a self-sufficient adult. He'll be great, I'm sure!

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

If it makes you feel any better, it took my parents three days to drive me to my college. :giggle Hours? You can do this! Congrats to him! What a huge accomplishment!

13. jaye

thank you all so much. It is bittersweet, I am so incredibly proud of him and all he has achieved. He will also still be 17...late birthday.

This is a boy who doesn't think he is 'good enough' (breaks my heart) and who has done all this despite having a father who doesn't give a rat's behind about him (a text at Christmas is all). He is presently volunteering on his spare once a week in a grade 9 basic math class here at the school and has just been pulled in by the VP about applying for a leadership opportunity in Ottawa.

Sorry to gush so much, he is my one and only :heartslub

14. VinGirl

VinGirl Well-Known Member

I am hoping my son will end up going somewhere close to home too, I'm not ready for any of that. He is still 15, but I am all too aware of the speed with which time leaves us. Congratulations to you and your son. :)

15. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

You've done a great job Mom! Congrats on his college acceptance!

16. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Congratulations to him! You'll love the visits.

17. NicoleLeBlanc

NicoleLeBlanc Don't make me call your mother! Oh, wait ...

Wow! Bittersweet! They grow up so quickly!

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

1hr difference is not much, specially if it is his first choice! Not everyone gets acceptance letters from their 1st choice school. He must be in cloud 9!

19. jaye

oh no he won't be 1 hr. away, he'll be 4 1/2 hours away. I wanted the one that was 3 hr.s away, lol. Yes he is very excited. We did a tour back on August but we will attend the Open House in the spring as well, will have to get his name in for residence soon.
    I have already started checking out prices of toaster ovens (for that pizza) and those little burner type things. I have a spare kettle and a set of dishes. . . oh my.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  20. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I know how you must feel, but I'm sure he will be missing you so muych, you'll probably have him back for weekends quiet often :)

I have mixed feelings about Sarita going to Uni..... she is taken a very (very) long gap year....she isn't sure if she wants to do Uni,in one hand I think it would do her a world of gooid to be away from here...she is very VERY spoiled....and on the other hand I don't want her to be far away....

Those electrical stoves (the two ring burners) are great! He will be fine, am sure, and as I said, probably want to be with you often as much as study allows :heartlub

Huge hugggzzz