20-30 inches....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ayaandjudah, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ayaandjudah

ayaandjudah Queen of PL

Joy of joys. It's coming, it's already started.

I live on Long Island and had 17 days with no electricity back in 2012 when Sandy hit. We are frightened that the same will happen tonight.

And if we lose electricity I won't have any scrap time!

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I hear ya! I'm north of NYC and expecting the same. Kids on way home with early dismissal. Deftly most worried about the outages. :( Although after Sandy we did buy 2 generators ... but will probably only have my crummy old laptop plugged in, & that isn't really worth scrapping on.

Stay safe all who are in the path of this one!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

Central PA was a bust with only about an inch so far . . . thinking of you all in the path of the storm . . .

4. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

thinking of all you who are expecting the storm, hope you don't get hit with what they are predicting. Stay safe and warm!

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm there with you. I'm in NJ, and it's started. Early dismissal for schools, and work already cancelled for tomorrow with a delay opening on Wednesday. School with follow suit too. (I'm about 35 miles outside of NYC in NJ.) We are approx. 18-24" forecast.

Sandy was hard. We got a generator late after Sandy... and my Dad gerry-rigged our generator (he's an electrician) to the furnace so we could have some heat and electricity - this was ON the 11th day. After he rigged it up, the power came back on 2 hours later, AND it snowed. LOL! We sent our kids to family during Sandy since we had no heat, electricity, or anything. DH and I had to work. It broke my heart, but it was better for them!

I'm worried about the snow making roofs cave and people getting hurt. Scary.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

Thinking of you all - stay safe xx

7. jenn mccabe

my mom was out for a long time too (lives in NJ) she could not handle the water and shower issues (well/septic tank) even though they had a generator. she left my dad and came to my house bc we only lost power a little bit. that was such a horrible time for everyone. stay safe!

the 1st flurries have just started here! oh boy!

8. jk703

DH and I were talking about this storm... and said if we get gas for the generator - we won't need it, but if we don't get gas for it, then we will need it. LOL! Murphy's Law. DH is getting gas today!

All crossables crossed for everyone to come out warm, safe and ok!

Jenn, I feel for your Mom. It was hard for my parents too. Then we worry about them on top of our worries. Sandy was way hard on so many people, and many realized more about themselves. They learned who they could rely on, support, resiliency, strength, and so much more. Being without power also meant you were closer/interacted more with family/friends/neighbors people during that time - but we were also sequestered in our homes feeling a bit lonely. We had it super lucky with our 11 days - even being able to send my kids to family was a relief to know they were warm, safe, fed, and loved. Still brings a lump to my throat. We still had our house, and family. I was lucky and I know it. I'm grateful.

9. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

You gals (and families) stay safe. Keeping everything crossed that it won't be bad for you. (And, right now, really appreciating the weather here in Arizona, but the summer will be the hard time for us).

10. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Wow...stay safe everyone!!! Prayers and wishes are being sent your way!!!

11. ArisaMinamoto

ArisaMinamoto Crazy for Coffee

thats sounds terrible. i hope everyone is ok.my best wishes.

12. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

It's snowing now! I'm in NH and we are in the 18-25 range. The winds are blowing.. So far power outages are at a minimum because the snow is light. The wind is the really the culprit if it does go out. Fingers crossed. Stay safe everyone.

13. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I'm in Rhide Islans so yeah, stuck at home abd it's supposed to snow all day. So far no power outages, fingers crossed it stays that way.

14. jk703

I think it moved a bit east.... Way less for us but more for New England area! Stay warm ladies!

15. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

I've been watching the news about the big storm out east and feeling a little guilty that we are having highs in the 70s. (That's 30 degrees above normal in Colorado.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  16. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

sending you all thoughts of warmth and safety from Arizona - I know, don't hate me- I pay for it in the summer...

17. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Keep safe! I'm in Seattle and we are just having RAIN.

18. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Sending warm wishes your ways guys, stay safe, too!

19. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

The storm seems to have moved on out.. we ended up with 28-30 inches and power outages were very minimal here in NH. Thank goodness. You know you're a New Englander when you get a whopper of a storm one day and it's back to business the next.. and we are expecting another small storm Friday and another foot on Monday. Yikes.

I hope everyone else is warm and safe and made it through the storm with minimal impact.

20. jenn mccabe

wow nicole. you guys got hit hard. glad all is back to business for the most part for you. we only had 6-8 inches here. hard to tell, there was already snow on the ground it all blew all over with the winds. no power outages for the most part. it deftly grazed by us.