Best Book of 2014

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Celeste, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

Well let's hear it, what was the best book you read in 2014?

My reading was all over the place. I'd have to say either Tell the Wolves I'm Home or The Name of the Wind (very different genres!)

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

GREAT idea for a thread!! I just went through my Goodreads list, and I'd have to say The Golem and Jinni was my favorite of the year. SO outside of my normal genre, but well worth it!!

Second choice would be All You Could Ask For. Not what I expected.

3. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

Picking a fav book for me is like picking a fav child for others LOL

I only have one child so he is my fav by far LOL

but books...... I've read over 150 this year!! I couldn't possibly choose

4. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

i'm with vicky, the last book I read is always my fav until I finish the next one.

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'll pick - i read a lot this year by my standards- GoodReads said i read 81 books - and Mr Penumbra's 24 Hr Library was my most recent fave - it was a bit like the Rosie Project in some points with it's humour, it was a bit geeky and it was a bit DaVinci Code mystery.

I also 5 starred and remembered loving and being obsessed with She Is Not Invisible (more code breaking to some extent) ;
    Austenland (much better than the movie but that's so often true) ;
    & i so loved this SciFi Dystopia -These Broken Stars (great multi point of view and the cover was just beautiful)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Thanks for all the great suggestions, ladies! I loved the Rosie Project too, Justine! I got a new one for Christmas titled "The Girls of Atomic City" that came highly recommended, so I'll have to let you know! I belong to a book club, so I probably read as many that I don't like as those that I do, but that's the reason for book club after all, you read books you might never have picked for yourself.

7. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Truly I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, unputdownable.

8. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i love this thread! :)

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I had quite a few that I rated 5 stars on Goodreads, but I think my favorites were The Rosie Project (which I saw has a sequel coming soon) and then I loved two by a new author Jamie Ford, Songs of Willow Frost and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I also really enjoyed The Selection Trilogy more because at the time I read them, I really needed something light and fast to read. Finally I really liked Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell and Making Faces by Amy Harmon.

10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I ride the train to work and then home each day, so use this time to read. I'm a fast reader so depending on the length of the book, I might finish 3 or 4 in the weekly commute. I tend to read suspense, mystery, but if I get interested in something I might read a book about it. The best thing that happened to me is eReaders, because before I used to lug around three or for books at a time, which can weigh a lot. My Favourite book remains "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

11. anrobe

anrobe YouTube addict

I can't seem to pick just one so I'll give you my favorites of 2014 -

The Secret Place by Tana French
    Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxanne Gay
    The Poet by Michael Connelly
    Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson
    The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
    Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Revival by Stephen King
    The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
    Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer

If you forced me to pick one, I think I'd go with The Secret Place by Tana French or Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

12. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Nothing really captivated me this year. I read to my HS daughter a few books. That was fun and a nice chance to cuddle up on the couch and share a book. I'm going to check out a few of your suggestions here!

13. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

I read a lot of good books, a few great ones, and unfortunately several terrible books ( which I didn't finish).

I read 2 by JoJo Moyes that I absolutely adored - Me Before You and One Plus One. Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King was very good. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight and The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar were both very good as well.

14. Keely~B

Keely~B Klicker That Just Klicks

Tell the Wolves I'm Home made my faves list last year, excellent read! I liked the Golem and the Jinni too.

I haven't done my list for this year yet I need to go through my read shelf but The Son, The Gravity of Birds and will definitely be in my top 10.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i so loved this book -went thru lots of kleenex but i still think it was wonderful! i read a novella she wrote and it was pretty wonderful too - http://www.jojomoyes.com/books/honeymoon-in-paris/

16. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

a few books I read and liked;
    The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry
    All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner
    The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
    The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory (I love her books)
    Blood Magick by Nora Roberts

I am currently on a Nora Roberts kick and am presently reading Key of Light

17. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this has been in my 'to read' pile for almost a year - sounds like i have to bump it up a few books

19. lizj

lizj Active Member

The Light Between Oceans was very good, definitely worth reading. Kind of old fashioned with an emotional story line.

My favorite for 2014 was All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

20. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I just read this over Christmas break and really liked it!

I can't remember which books I read last year and which were earlier? But I think my favorite from last year was A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin.