Anyone using the PL app?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by renee82, Jan 2, 2015.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

I'm just curious... is anyone using this for creating their PL pages? I thought I could put all my IG photos that I take in this app. and print them and add to my albums. I always have photos I don't end up using. I'm afraid that this will become redundant. And then I start looking at all the pretty cards... lol! What are your thoughts? I know there are ways of importing our current scrap stash. Does anyone do this?

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It isn't available for my phone, but I've been curious about how it works too.

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I bought the app when it first came out but have yet to use it. I'm not sure what my use for it is. My photos for PL come from a mix of cameras which I find easier to organize on my computer. I do end up with lots of "orphan" photos on my phone that don't make it into PL. Maybe I'll try the app with these. A woman I follow on Instagram does neat pages with the app and photos labeled using the collect app. That could be doable for me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I have the app and have used it once or twice...it's nice, and would be useful, but it's too simple for what I want my PL to look like. I did import some of my stash using dropbox...basically you put the stash in a folder in your dropbox and then you can access it from the app.

5. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

I have been using the app. I purchased it in October just before vacation and planned to do sort of a daily recap photos & notes page while on vacation. Did I? Nope! Although I still like the idea. I should mention that I have been doing PL this year and just have the last week to finish up. What I have found that it's been great for is whipping up the 'extras/insert' pages. For example my birthday and anniversary were in November so I did an extra page for each in addition to my regular weekly page. We had several Xmas celebrations along with some special events and parties at work so I did these extra/insert pages with the app. It kept it quick & simple.

You can use your digital stash in the app by copying them into Dropbox. I used lots of the DYD cards in my pages this way. I will say though I find it a little cumbersome bc when it imports the cards from Dropbox to the app it often crashes. I actually emailed PL app and they are working on it. To be honest though I think it's more of a Dropbox issue than the PL app. Often times I'll choose the card from Dropbox then save to my camera roll and use it that way. The reason I think it's a Dropbox issue is bc DB crashes exporting a photo to camera roll.. But I digress.. I guess my point is that it can be done but I've found it a little cumbersome. No problems using their cards though.

Anyway I'm toying with keeping my Pl super simple this year using the collect app to choose a photo and add a caption and then dropping them into the Pl app. I printed a couple pages already and they came out great.

I've been happy with the app and have enjoyed using it to create extra event pages for my PL album. I've used it quite a bit so just let me know if you have any more questions.

6. SirScrapalot

I love the idea of using the app for insert pages! Great idea!

7. hclappy

hclappy Active Member

I've used it for a few pages. They printed out 8x8 really nicely. I like a really simple page now and then, but it won't replace regular digiscrapping for me.
    One thing I really like to use it for is event pages and road trip and vacation photos. Generally photos that don't have a story, but that I'd like to have in my albums. I had every intention of scrapping on the road during our last road trip. But one thing I discovered about the app is that your purchases don't transfer between devices. So all the nice kits I'd bought on the iPad didn't show up on my phone where all my photos were. It was pretty disappointing.

8. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

I don't spend a lot of time of my pc any more, hence my project life pages for 2014 stalled. I purchased this app for my ipad the other day and have managed to get a few months of 2014 done is a couple of days. The pages are basic, but I figured if I want to jazz them up before getting them printed then I can just import them into photoshop and add some elements.

9. Michelle.Thomas

Michelle.Thomas New Member

I'm new again to digital Scrapbooking, and it's been about 6 years since I've done a digital layout. I purchased this app and have managed to do a few test pages. I actually love it. I don't have the time that I used to have to sit at a computer and pull everything together, so the app on my iPad is at least giving me an opportunity to scrap. I've pulled my PL digi-products into Dropbox and see what happens. One thing I would like to know is how to use elements on the pages? I'm not too fond of the thought of copying my LO's from the app and building on a flat image. Anyone think of a creative way to use elements?

10. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

The only ways I can think of using elements in the app is to either create the pocket in Photoshop with all the elements already placed and then slot into the app like a photo, or have only one element in a slot, or by exporting the flattened page to photoshop and placing elements on top

Oh then the other option is to find an app that would do the photoshop parts if you wanted to stay off the computer. Not sure what's out there for that but I would find that handy as I'm not on the computer much any more. Off to investigate . . .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  11. SirScrapalot

Yeah, as far as I know the PL app doesn't deal with elements...just pictures and cards, the original intention of PL.

12. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Well, call me old fashioned, but I'm a laptop and mouselover!

No scrapping on the tablet or I get crumpy.
    No working with a mousepad or I start screaming....
    It's fun for others, but not for me, this app.

But I like to know what is all possible, so keep giving updates, I might go overboard one day and change my habits, lol!

13. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I bought it when it was .99 just to try it out. It's also too simple for me. I can see it being useful but I like more control, adding elements, shadows, etc. Sometimes I tell my daughter to make a page of certain events and it's fun for her.

14. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

I'm interested in exploring this app as a possibility for the coming year. I did a quick page in the app and used this tutorial link to work on drop shadows with the photos/cards. I then did my page with the drop shadows added to the photos/cards along with some other elements to make it a bit more interesting. With this approach, I realize that I will still have to go between my phone and my computer but I do like the idea of being able to do some of the pre-work on my phone while I'm waiting for kid things to get over. We'll see...

I would post the pic here but I don't know how to do that - sorry.

15. Michelle.Thomas

Michelle.Thomas New Member

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing :-)

16. RHERR308

RHERR308 New Member

I just bought the app yesterday after debating for a few weeks and waited for the price to drop to $.99. The app is easy to use and is very basic: place photos and journaling cards for text which is the original intention of Becky Higgins product. With the app I was able to complete seven total items a mix of 4x6 collages and 12x12 pocket pages. I like the simplicity and honestly less choices because it eliminates some of the hold-up in decision making that sometimes prevent me from getting stuff done. Having said that I still want variety. I want to manipulate my shadows, I want to add layers of elements and also creative control that you can't get using this app. So I have decided to use the app for 4x6 photo collages of my everyday and definitely for journaling quickly. This to me can replace the Collect app. All my photos from phone and DLSR get synced and downloaded to my laptop and so I can easily continue to work on larger events and take time to scrap those. So in short the app will allow me to scrap the little things quickly while I continue to scrap the bigger events on my computer. It's a win-win.

17. Ink and Pixels

They should transfer between purchases as I use them on both the iPhone and iPad. The pages don't but the kits you buy do. Look at the bottom of the library and look for the restore purchases text if you tap that it should download any that your purchased on the other device. You may need to be on wifi - not positive on that but they should transfer for you.

The other thing I wanted to mention is any photos on your iPhone should show up in your photostream (iCloud sync between all Apple devices) on your iPad so you can either synch purchases or sync the photos which automatically will do if you have iCloud turned on. Instead of going to camera roll choose photostream instead and all your pics will be there.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  18. Ink and Pixels

The pages are super simple but for me they've worked out great bc otherwise I don't think the extra inserts would have made it into an album at all. I find the journaling is the most interesting to look back on so I try to remind myself of that when I want to add all the extras but know if I do I won't get anything done. I'm finding it useful for all those - want to's - but never do - pages. I'm still doing regular pages though too, of course.

19. SirScrapalot

I actually used the app yesterday and pulled nine pictures from last week and posted that to instagram...simple, and not a PL replacement, but fun to share.