our 1,00,000th move

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by sarahbhb, Aug 26, 2014.

1. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

Obviously not really, but it feels that way. I think we've moved on average about once a year since we got married 14 years ago.

Our landlady is selling so we have to be out by the end of the month and we were offered a really cool opportunity. One of DH's coworkers owns 70 acres in the country. While they built their house they lived in a trailer on the property (which has since been sold) so there is a clearing already established (I'm thinking about 1 acre, but it could be more not sure). This past weekend they bought a brand new trailer, are putting it on the property and my family will rent it from them. We'll be able to have a large garden and some small livestock (def. chickens maybe some rabbits and a dairy goat and companion if there is space). I'm so excited that we'll get to the test the waters of being hobby homesteaders before we buy property on our own. Also DH and DD will be able to use their land for hunting if they so choose and they have an acre and a half stocked pond that they've been given permission to fish in (some great daddy, daughter bonding time that mom has zero interest in...lol).

The downside is that we will have a few weeks overlap between when we have to be out of here and when we'll be able to move into our new place so we'll be staying with family again for a few weeks which renders me internetles aside from my phone and tablet. I was super excited to find out that even though we'll be out in the country there is high speed internet available where we'll be moving which was one of my concerns about moving out of town.

Anyhow just wanted to share what's going on here. I'm super excited about this change! Now if I could just finish packing. We have our rental truck reserved, a storage locker rented and a few hands coming up this weekend to help us get everything moved out and cleaned. I'm so ready for the next phase of our lives.

2. sarahbhb

LOL after I posted this I realized I dropped a zero in 1,000,000. I guess 100,000 would still be an extraordinary amount of times to move though.

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh my, packing again, but what a dream opportunity! I am ecited for you really, but my x doesn't want to go in that word..excited1

4. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh, that's so wonderful for you!! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories about your adventures.

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Sounds like a great opportunity. Having your own fishing pond sounds so cool!

6. sarahbhb

Here's the trailer our new landlords purchased.

http://www.montysheavybuilthomes.com/index.php?pageID=13652_2

The only time I've lived in a trailer was when DH and I first got married. We paid $210 a month and when I was 8 months pregnant we were laying in bed and the bed leg went through the floor (not the best experience for a majorly pregnant lady). Needless to say we gave our notice that day..lol.

The biggest stumbling blocks as far as I can see are that it's about half the size of where we live now, counter space is super limited and there is no dishwasher (I just assumed that they all came with dishwashers..ugh). We'll have to be super creative about storage (we've been told we can put a shed on the property which will help eventually), I have a 13 yo dishwasher, and I'm hoping to buy a small kitchen cart from IKEA for prepping dinner. I'm hoping these will all be a pretty good trade for the perks of moving there.

7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We had a refurbished trailer years ago...and my favorite part is the separation of the bedrooms...I always felt so spoiled going into our room! lol
    I do find more storage in right places in a trailer...and you can get a portable dishwasher...that has a butcher block on top! counterspace and happiness!

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Looks great Sarah! Congratulations and best of luck on your move and new home!

9. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

This sounds like a fun opportunity to test the waters. I hope the move and the brief stay with family goes smoothly for you.

10. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Sounds like a great opportunity to try something new. Good luck!

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I feel your pain on the move! One good thing about moving so many times is I find myself much less likely to keep a bunch of stuff I don't really need (less to pack!). Having some land and area for a garden sounds great! Best of luck with it!

12. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Moving totally stinks!! I feel your pain on that.

Growing up we didn't have a dishwasher. My dad used to always say he had four already LOL (there were four of us kids). Now, they have a for real dishwasher :)

13. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Waw, I admire you, it must be crazy to move that much! the trailer seems really nice!!!
    I wish you all the best!

14. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

Dang girl that looks great! Certainly bigger than some of my flats/houses I have had... and to have space around it... score...

15. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

That sounds so exciting Sarah - what an amazing opportunity. The trailer looks very nice too.

16. sarahbhb

Our last place was an apartment just outside of Chicago that was about the same size as this trailer.... and rent was $350 a month more than what we'll be paying.

I certainly can't complain about that.

17. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

That is awesome! (the trailer/land/rent - not the moving part!) Good luck in your move and in the interim of not having a home!

18. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

looks amazing! I like Anne's idea about a portable dishwasher... a dishwasher and extra counter space.

does it come furnished?

19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That sounds so great!! All the best to you in getting moved :)

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What a cool adventure you have ahead of you! I can't wait to hear all about it. Hopefully the overlap part goes quickly and you get settled in the new place easily.