Pad Patter: 8/26 juggling practices and family? how in the world?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I thought I had it pegged. During summer and football practices (juggling 3),
    now I only have 2 in football (tackle and highschool) and darn if I can get my brain around feeding everyone??

Anyone out there have some suggestions, what do you do?

2. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I only have 1 kid so it makes it easier, lol.

In summer he plays baseball and umps but in the fall/winter he not only pays hockey but also helps out with another team. Hockey takes the bulk of our time and I keep the schedules in my phone, calendar on fridge and my desk calendar at work.

During hockey season I love my crockpot.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

When we had two kids in baseball and one in soccer it would get especially tricky to eat a healthy meal. I started doing a lot of meals at the ball fields. I'd get cheese cubes, sliced deli meats, pre-cut veggies in baggies sized for one person and fruits. We did picnic style meals out and about rather than waiting until after practices games when everyone was just too hungry and the drive thru started to look really good.

4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm facing the same challenges, I'm curious to see what is suggested.

5. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Great idea Karen!

6. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Some nights we don't have 'dinner'. It will be a small meal that will give him energy for the game and then come home and have another light meal to fill his tummy. On a weekend or night where I gave nothing I will do batch cooking and divide it up so there is something for dinner and extra to put in freezer.

7. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Right now, our boys both play for the same soccer team, so we have lucked out so far with the juggling. I feel for you though, I have seen other families do that and it is hard. Love Karen's suggestion.

8. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

I'm not sure what's going to happen this year. there will be barely any time after school for homework before we go off to do various activities.... think I'm going to have to make some freezer and crockpot meals.

9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Most of the time, it's quick breakfast for dinner or sandwiches for dinner either before practice or after. Depending on their hunger. :)

10. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

What about a Thermos of Soup. Chunky vegies and chicken broth would be perfect and just pack a couple of cheesy bread rolls. But to be honest I havent a clue I dont have to ferry kids around yet mine is too small, but I am thinking soup and picnic style food would work perfectly on those days. I can't wait to have this dilemma ;)

11. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I think it takes an army. Sometimes my friends with multiple kids in sports call me to drop off or pick up one of them because they're already at different fields. I agree with meals at the field, or "you feed those 3 and I'll feed the rest".

12. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Good question! I think it's hard. We actually took 2014 off from sports (my kids are 7 and 11). I'm hoping that we'll be able to add them back in for 2015, but we're considering holding off until they're old enough for school sports because of how crazy it makes life.

I love Karen's suggestion of the picnic meals - working around mealtime and bedtime were some of our toughest issues!

13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

In the summer it was easier...school kills us! bhahha...we did this way cool thing called dashboard dinners...I made cheeseburgers/burritos and other easy to wrap in foil things. It gets so hot here...I would toss the chosen entree up on the dash of my vehicle...end of practice, nice warm meal! bhahha
    now it is getting chilly!
    I think a thermos is a grand idea...wondering about a carryall for a crock pot?

14. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

They make insulated bags to use with either round or 13x9 inch pans. You can either freeze the insert and put inside to keep the stuff cold or microwave it and keep it hot. My mom loves those things for potlucks!