What is your biggest scare?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by PLM, Jul 1, 2014.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Today I went with my 2 boys to an animals parc and had 2 encounters with my biggest scare: whenI was goint to sit down in the driver's seat, I noticed there was a spiderweb from the downside of the car to the steering wheel. Gosh, I got scared I wouldn't find the darn beast!!! (Yes I know, they are small, but to me they are beasts :whistle) But I did and hey, I have even been able to kill the perpetrator! Hoora for me! :yesss

Don't think about it, Sarah, keep your mind to other things.
    In the afternoon I had indeed forgot, but then we went into the reptile part of the parc....
    Can you guess??? Suddenly a box with a big specimen and full of hair...!!!
    Me, trying to hide my fear for the boys: we have seen everything around here, it's time to go...

Okay okay, I will stop writing about it, but I am really wondering if I am the only one with such a scare and is there anyone who has overcome it???? And how???

2. zanthia122

zanthia122 Keep me away from Bart. Mmmm...

I have aerophobia. I'm terrified of flying! I get panic attacks from the day I buy the ticket until the plane is actually in the air. I've managed to study and live and travel abroad, but it's never easy. I don't know if I'll ever be able to overcome it... I've tried medication, hypno-therapy, etc. I've just learned to live with it... tell myself if the plane's gonna crash, there's nothing I can do about it and so I should stop thinking about it, and so on.

3. PLM

Oh, that must be hard indeed. And you even tried several things to overcome it. It's a pitty it didn't help.
    GReat of you you overwon it to study and live aborad, I hope you can keep giving yourself the motivation to keep going.
    And I know all about the talks you dot to yourself at those moments! :yesss

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I suppose my biggest fear is flying. It's the only thing that comes to mind...

I understand the physics of flight in theory, but in practice I just don't see how it can work. How can a great hulking bit of metal full of people and suitcases stay in the sky?

Blah. Horrible. I totally understand how you feel Grace... especially on the crash thing. If a boat sinks I can swim away, if a plane crashes I'm not sure there's much I could do...

5. PLM

6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Sarah - that is sooooooo creepy! I want to "un-watch" it.

I am terrified of horror movies. I can't watch them, they make my heart pound and I feel all panicky. DH is a good sport about it, if a movie turns out to be more horror than thriller, he's ok if I just bail partway through and he'll either skip it or watch the rest after I go to bed.

7. PLM

I'm the same as you and that's why I put it here. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I thought that sharing would make my heart less pound.:whistle
    Anyways, the football game here (Belgium vs us) has completely overtaken, but now I just am recalling it. So I'll wait a bit to go to bed ;-)

8. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

We're watching that game right now!

9. PLM

Me too, with one eye on the screen and the other on my laptop.
    Hubby has been bouncing up and down allready, he is also getting his share of sports! :giggle

10. PLM

He says it's a really good match, but now he wants a goal, too much tension!

11. zanthia122

zanthia122 Keep me away from Bart. Mmmm...

Totally. And the news about the Malaysian 777 that just disappeared??? Gave me nightmares for WEEKS. I haven't had to fly since that happened, but I think this time the fear will be even worse. :(

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My biggest fear/phobia is with spiders. I hate creepy crawly things and spiders scare the crap out of me b/c they can move so fast. I don't know what I think it is going to do to me....like run up my leg or something? LOL But irrational as it is, I'm terrified of them. My heart just about stops when I see one. So if I take the odd macro shot of a spider....you just know I almost have a heart attack getting the photo b/c I'm just about hyperventilating as I take the pic (I've done it a few times for halloween shots).

13. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Have you seen LOST? :giggle
    My daughter and I are on season 3 now, and loving it! Although if I were to get on an airplane again I think I'll be holding my breath the whole trip. I'm not scared of flying but it sure does make me nervous as heck when you hit turbulence!

14. PLM

I know what you mean, I have the same thing!!! That's why I hate the days in september, the month they are fullgrown and about everywhere. :whistle

15. PLM

I still need to look at it... I know I'm really behind and missed on great things! PErhaps something for this summer...

16. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I have icthyophobia, fear of fish. I don't like them alive or dead. Our school office used to have a betta fish in a little bowl on the counter and I would stand as far away as possible. I hate the smell of cooked fish (and used to work across the street from a Red Lobster and during recess I would gag). Needless to say, my kids are teens and have never eaten any fish except tuna (which I can stomach). Hate going to the lake and knowing they're in the water with me, aquariums are not my favorite place to visit, and so on.

I also have a fear of heights. We went to Wisconsin Dells for vacation and I couldn't walk up the stairs to go down any of the water slides. Not afraid of the slide part, but couldn't get up the stairs to the launch. I just don't even try and my family knows better than to pressure me. We're going to Colorado later this month. Hoping I get through it OK.

17. Brandi

Do you know what brought on the fear of fish, Kim?

18. PLM

Kimberly, I have never heard of people being scared of fish, dead or alive.
    That must be so tough and I can imagine there are things I am not even thinking about.

And as you, Im' not fond of heights neither. Sometimes I think it gets harder getting older. I used to sit on rollercoasters when I was teenager and have no idea if I would do that again. :faint2

19. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Well, the cooked fish thing is probably my mom making me sit at the table until I ate my fish. And then there was a time I was pregnant with my 1st, went grocery shopping, walked by the fish counter and ran out of the store to vomit -- fish and morning sickness did not mix for me. Now just the smell makes my stomach start going.

The live fish thing I think is because my mom always had aquariums when I was a kid. She was cleaning a tank and had the fish in like a five gallon bucket. One of the fish jumped out and I stepped on it. I still remember screaming bloody murder. And ever since then, can't stand them.

20. Brandi

Aww, man... that's gotta be tough! Maybe one day it won't be so bad...