Pad Patter 12/23 - Knit/Crochet?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Do you do either? I have been trying to learn to knit for years, and I've managed a few scarves but it still doesn't seem to come naturally. I'm super awkward with the needles. I can crochet a bit better, but I dunno.. lol.

I'm currently working on a slouchy hat (crochet), I'll let you know (assuming I finish it... my lack of project finishing is a post for another day).

2. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

My grandmother crochets and has taught some of my cousins, but I never learned. I do have some lovely blankets that she made.

3. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I can do both, but I just learned how to knit a couple of months ago. My mom's friend tried to teach me and nothing made sense and when I brought it up on Facebook, Laura pointed me towards the videos at KnittingHelp.com - turns out "continental style" knitting makes total sense to me, but the other kind (English? American?) does not at all. I still try to switch to it once in a while and my brain shuts down. I really love knitting, though.

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I do both. I learned to knit first and still prefer it. Although, for some reason, I can only get really excited about it when the weather is cold. *shrugs* It's totally a seasonal hobby for me.

As Peppermint said, the videos at knittinghelp.com are fabulous for anyone who wants to learn. :)

5. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I just asked my good friend to teach me one of these when we go on vacation together next July. I can't remember which she prefers, but she knows both. I just asked her to teach me her favorite. I love the idea of playing with color and textures of yarn and wouldn't mind making hats and/or scarves for gifts.

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I crocheted long ago...and our house turned into AFGHANistan(my hubs called it that) I was a machine, using big needle and 3 yarns at a time for thick bulky afghans that worked up fast! I lose interest so quick!
    Knitting...oh I want too...I will check out those videos, cause I am so tense, my stitches are always tight and it takes forever...

7. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

I have done both when I was a kid but completely forgot how to do it. I lose interest too and even though it looks fun I know not to invest into it because 1 or 2 months from now it will be in a corner gathering dust.

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I did crochet squares when I was a kid but they never made it in to anything. as far as knitting went, my grandmother tried to teach me and I can still knit one pearl two but as far as I ever got was a Barbie doll blanket!! LOL... I preferred crewel embroidery and then went to Counted cross stitch which I still love and have tons of stuff to make if my hands and eyes would cooperate.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I can do both, but I am definitely far better at crocheting. I really love to do it in the cold weather too Laura. Doesn't seem right to be making a big ole blanket in the summertime! :) Funny enough, I prefer the look of knitting for anything other than blankets, but I'm not very good at knitting... or I'm really slow and lose patience when I mess up. With crochet, I know how to pull it out and fix my boo-boos... knitting? Not so much.

10. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Knit for sure but I'm only good at scarves. I have a lot of scarves. LOL!

11. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Since I do not know the difference between knitting and crocheting, I'm gonna have to go with "no, I do not do either". Kind of thought they were the same thing.

My my grandmother used to quilt... I at least know what that is :).

12. Angie4b1g

You've blown my mind. I didn't know there was more than one kind.

13. Angie4b1g

I wonder if it is just whichever one you learned first seems easier.

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I can crochet, I am a self-taught. My sister tried teaching me how to knit and she said I was the fastest learner she has ever had... then I told her "but, I don't like it"... she hit me with the needles on the head and threw the ball of yarn on my face.... and that ended my first and only knit lesson. LOL!!!

15. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

LOL Dalis!!!!! I think that's what would happen if my sister and I tried to teach each other stuff, too!

16. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Years ago a friend of mine taught me how to knit winter hats. I cranked out a few little ones for my boys and some for gifts, and then quit for a while. I tried to pick it up again last year and I've forgotten how to cast on! Definitely need to check out those videos. I found it to be very relaxing.

17. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I think Continental style is more like crochet, which I learned how to do first. So trying to knit the other way, the "normal" English way, handling the yarn in my right hand? Totally awkward. I just gave up.

So I wonder of it's easier for people who learn to crochet first to knit continental style? It just made immediate sense to me after watching a few minutes of a video. I think I could have eventually figured out the other way... but persevering through frustration is not one of my stronger skills.

18. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

I taught myself to knit and definitely prefer continental style which a coworker taught me. I'm currently making a scarf. I knit when my hubby is hogging the computer and I can't scrap.

19. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

i can knit....I used to be a huge knitter before having kids, but once i had my first I really didn't want sharp pointy sticks and yarn all around a baby, so I put it away. I did make a few hats here and there, but nothing compared to what I used to do; I've made several sweaters, socks. a huge felted insarsia bag...I even designed a capelet that I still get compliments on.

Now at the end of the day my brain is usually too fried and just wants to shut down. Since my DD is active in swim now, I've been trying to work on small/portable projects while she is in the water. I made one pair of fingerless gloves this fall and am working on a second set for a friend (you know who you are). Once I had my kids I found I discovered photography, and even later scrapbooking, so that is where most of my creative energy goes now.

I would love to know how to crochet but I have the hardest time counting crochet stitches. I can make any given individual stitch (while reading a crochet book, I don't have them memorized) but I just can't seem to figure out how to count them.

20. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I do knit English style; I think Continental is more efficient, but I am too set in my ways. My mom tried for years to teach me how to knit and she holds her needles in a completely different way and I could never do it that way...once i switched to the English style it all clicked together. My mom holds her needles like pencils but still has the yarn in her right hand....I can't do it that way.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013