DYD Newbie: Inspiration Requested

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by jenevang, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

OK, so here's my question... do you just document what happens each day in December, like in PL? If so, how is that pre-planned as suggested.

Or do you preplan a page for each "event", adding extras for everyday non-planned stuff.

By "event" I mean 1. baking 2. tree 3. concert 4. school 5. elf ... stuff like that.

AND if so, what other things would you put on your list.

Thanks.

2. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

4. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Before I start you must know that by nature I'm a planner :) So i create a calendar for things we are going to be doing in December. I then loosely create pages around that. By loosely I mean that they could fit several days of the month. Then as I actually finish that activity I add my pictures and anything that would make it more theme related. Think of your foundation pages sort of like a quick page. Pop your picture in add a few more elements and done!

5. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

this is the first time I'm working ahead and doing foundation pages... the reason I'm doing foundation pages ahead of time is because in years past I spent so much time trying to keep up that I would either quit early or my other scrapping would be put aside... like last year, I did really awesome keeping up with PL until December and because I had put it aside to work on DYD, my PL didn't get done until April :/ so this year I'm working on doing foundation pages ahead of time so that like Jewelle said, all I have to do is add photos and journaling and still keep up with PL... I do a separate album because we take the whole month off of homeschooling to focus on Christmas and doing fun activities and projects... plus, my PL is full by then so it's easier for me to figure out what to do with all the photos instead of trying to stuff in a bunch of inserts lol... also be on the lookout for some blog posts in the coming weeks ;)

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

my first priority is the template I will be using, and kit or kits...I stay with them to keep me from veering and going on long hunts...keeping it simple...I did a countdown to Christmas one year, doing PL for each day one year and it was okay...but then last year I did the THE book..
    here it is:
    I used Lynne-Marie's DiY templates!
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AaOWzlk4YtGLmo&cid=SFLYOCWIDGET

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am supposed to be getting together with Heather to get my foundation pages together, so far... total failure!

8. heathergw

LOL Dalis, you can't do foundation pages before the DYD is out... we still have plenty of time to work on our foundation pages... like I said watch the blog in the next few weeks and then again in DEC :)

9. AnalogPaper

AnalogPaper New Member

So Anne, you don't do foundation pages ahead of time?

Heather, are you going to make your foundation pages event based?

I love the idea of doing things ahead of time, but I have such a hard time scrapping without a without a photo first!

10. marnel

marnel Pollywog

OMG you and Heather I am jealous!! I know she rocks project life and I'm sure you 2 together inspiration and creativity will not be lacking.

11. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

I like the suggestions here and I, like Jewelle, am a planner/list maker. Before DYD/December Daily and the like we were an advent calendar family, so it is always helpful to plan ahead. I have a general idea of all of the things that we will be doing ahead of time and plan accordingly. There is the occasion that things have to be switched around, but for the most part things are pre-planned. I already know by looking at the calendar that we will be taking Christmas photos on December 4th. On Dec 13th we will be attending the annual holiday festival in our community, then on Dec 14th we will be going to Lowes to build a holiday train. As December moves closer I have more of an idea of what all is going on in our area and can fill in the calendar accordingly.
    As for my pages, I am still very unorganized. I am not very good at creating or sticking with foundation pages. That is a goal that is on my wish list. For me it seems to apply to paper scrapping more so than digi. Maybe I am missing something? :)

12. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I did a daily Project Life for almost half a year, and I'm NOT a planner when it comes to scrapping, so I'm going to do what I always did: sit down in the evening, have a look at the pics I shot and craft a page from that. I won't be going over the top with the layouts, only the simple blocked style I'm using for my Project Life. I'm pretty disciplined when I want to do something, so I have no doubt that I can do it.
    The only planning I do is having my "normal" calendar where I write my appointments and the fixed marks down, and planning some special activities we do every year- like decorations, baking cookies, stuff like that. I plan these for days where nothing special is happening.
    But in the end, I'm just gonna sit down in the evening and review the day....

13. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

When I did my first book, I planned around the big things and then filled in with other moments. Some days had lots of pages - and there were other days that I just skipped! I think being flexible always helps! :)

My book from last year isn't even done! LOL! But I took lots of good notes and kept lists so I'm scrapping some of that stuff now.

14. heathergw

this is what I'm struggling with right now as I'm working on my foundation pages... I don't really prepare my pages based on events... I'm just cutting papers into 6x8 and 4x6 sizes and printing and cutting the DYD 3x4 cards...

then I have embellishments and ephemera set aside to layer and decorate the edges of them to leave room for photos and journaling... I'll probably make and decorate tags for journaling that I can stick on... the only "event" that I plan ahead is Moriah's birthday on the 22nd... and then on the 25th I usually focus on the story of Christ and usually do more than just the normal one or two day spread... the last week of the month I do more journaling than photos as I focus on reviewing the year and discussing goals for the next year and any other thoughts I want to include rather than events... I still do PL, so I can be less worried about including everything

I'm on vacation and have been painting on the papers and stuff and this morning I added rub-ons... tonight I will probably make some premade 3D embellishments...

I'm not inheritly a planner so I'm more or less just making stacks of 6x8 pages with room for journaling or photos and lots of layers, a stack of embellished 4x6 cards and a stack of embellished 3x4 cards...

so that when I get back from vacation I can print and cut out all the yummy DYD journal cards and ephemera and word art and stuff to add to my piles

and come December I can print my photos and just fill that page for the day with cards photos and journaling and after December is over I can go back and add any additional stuff to use up what I have left over :)

and be on the lookout on the blog and in the forum as I walk you though my process and a few pollys also give prompts and inspiration throughout the month of December ;)

15. AnalogPaper

AnalogPaper New Member

Ooohh awesome reading about your process Heather! Definitely looking forward to the blog posts :)

16. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I think I'm going to fly by the seat of my pants, cause that's how I roll! Too much planning and I'm a whack job!

Seriously though...I have no idea what I'm going to do this year! LOL

17. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

18. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh my goodness, such a gorgeous book!

So do you gals do yours on paper or digitally? it sounds like some of you do paper pages... but Farrah's looks digital?

I'm scared I'l get too overwhelmed... a page a day... those pictures are so gorgeous Farrah, they're all so professional looking! Did you really take each of those pictures each day?!

19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Heather and I are getting together or in other words, I am driving to her house and not leaving until she opens the door or the police comes.

20. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Andrea a lot of us are doing hybrid with some paper thrown in there too. Farrah's is digital and a lot of people have done it that way too. It all depends on what YOU like to do!