I'm in the depths of despair

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by joelsgirl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

I'm in the depths of despair

A couple of weeks ago, Ariana, my blue eyed angel, spilled water on the table where my Macbook Pro was sitting. We tried letting it dry out, but the repair shop just called and said it'd cost 100,000 PESOS to fix it.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Peso to Dollar ratio, that's a whopping
    TWO
    THOUSAND
    FIVE
    HUNDRED
    US
    DOLLARS
    to fix a three year old computer.

Granted, I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it, but even so, I can't imagine why I'd want to spent a thousand extra dollars to fix it when I can buy a new one for less.

The worst part is knowing that it's totally MY FAULT. Joel had been watching her, and when he gave her back to me, I thought, "I should put up my computer now," but I didn't. If only I'd done the responsible thing, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I actually wanted to leave my computer at home (we were out of town), but Joel thought I should take it in case we needed to put in a movie for the kids. {sob} Why oh why didn't I just leave it safely at home?

Anyway, he's let me install PSE on his brand new computer, and I had everything (except pictures from the wedding we had attended that weekend) backed up, so all's not lost. But there's no way we can replace my computer right now, and honestly, I just really miss my bff.

Okay. If you made it this far, thank you. I just needed to mourn with people who get it.

2. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

Oh, I so get it! I am so sorry this happened to you. what a major bummer! But at least you were backed up!

3. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Oh Kellie, that is devastating--I am so sorry!! :(

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my goodness... That is awful. I can't believe it's so expensive to fix. That really is tragic. I honestly don't know what I would do without my computer. I use it every single day and its my personal sanity time each day. I'm glad that you didn't lose your files at least and that you have a computer you can share at least, but yeah, I totally get it. :(

5. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

That's so sad! And wow, $2500 to fix it???

6. Mye

Mye New Member

that is a ridiculous price to fix! better get a new one for that amount of money. i'm so sorry this happened :(

7. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

I'm with you - my ehd crashed over the weekend. It's a huge bummer. Sorry this happened to you - at least you were backed up, and there's a nifty new computer in your future, hopefully soon.

8. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

I can totally understand your devastation! Makes me sick to think about it!

9. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I am really sorry to hear this. But as an Anne of Green Gables fan, I am IN LOVE with your thread title. ;)

10. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Yikes! So sorry. Guess it's time for a new toy.

11. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Oh Kellie - that's truly dreadful. BOO!!! I am so sorry.

Any possibility of trying another repair shop or shipping it somewhere else for repairs? That just seems really excessive. If not, I hope a new lappy is in your future. {hugs}

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  12. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

So sad...but I'm also loving the Anne of Green Gables reference in your title, lol. Hopefully you can get a new computer soon!

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

That just sucks big time! Hugs. I hope when you can you find a fantastic deal on a new one.

14. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I saw you FB status... that just doesn't make sense that a repair would cost more than buying a new one... I too wonder if you can take it elsewhere or send it to your parents in the states... I've always heard of how awesome Mac's customer service is, there just has to be another option (((hugs)))

15. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

So sad :( the cost to repair is just crazy! I was thinking the same as Heather take it to another place and see what they say.

16. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh kellie, I can only imagine your angst in your tummy and heart....ouch
    I totally recommend not doing a thing with it for a long time. Put it in a drawer, and in a year pull it out, try it again.
    my EHD after over a year, came up long enough for me to get all my photos off it before it shuddered (it made a horrible sound) and died forever.
    I only kept it like it was an album I couldn't open, it somehow made me feel a little better. Kept the nausea at bay so to speak.

17. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

i get it. this stinks like dragons breath. at least you had most of your stuff backed up.

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Kellie, have you considered taking it to another place to see what they say? That is a lot of money to fix a machine.

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Kellie, I do hope a miracle happens and like Anne said a month from now it will have dried out and it works again.. ridiculous that it costs that much to fix.. perhaps you can take it somewhere to extract what is on the hard drive? perhaps that at least will help, although not solve the entire problem. Good luck.. thinking about you.

20. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Oh Kellie! *sob* consider this a virtual HUG... I understand. Not sure what I'd do without my BFF aka laptop. At least you've got your hubby's computer to use, but still, I know it's not the same! I hope you get it sorted out soon!