Last Day...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

of Summer for us! My kids start school next week so this is our last "free" weekday. And we spent the morning cleaning out the office, hehe. It was supposed to be my husband's office, but has ended up a spot for everyone to do homework and computer stuff :). I need to add yet another desk in there to avoid scheduling problems this year, and it has gone to pot this summer! Actually, there is no way it will ever be clean and I wish to Heaven it didn't have glass doors. But not much more I can do.

AND, I missed the AJ chat today *BOO* b/c I was out swimming with the kids all afternoon *YAY*. I came in to start dinner at about 4pm and remembered it.

One w/ Football practice tonight and another w/ a Birthday party. Then our last School Free friday will be over :(. It's kind of bittersweet for this mommy.

How about you? Have you started school yet?

I have all four in school this year (Kgarten - only until noon), 3rd grade, 7th grade and 9th grade. EEK!

2. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I only have a toddler, so no school for him. But *I* start back after labor day (I teach high school). The end of summer is such a bummer. Luckily, I have a little more time but it really is flying!

3. hslater

hslater Member

We have another 3 weeks left yet!! I love having them home and will be upset when they go back :(

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm always amazed at how early some schools start back. We don't start until after labor day. Enjoy your last weekend!

5. asouthernladysramblings

asouthernladysramblings New Member

we started back on August 7th and only had half days the first 3 days of school so today is our first full day of school. <y husband is on the way to pick them up now. So I can't wait until they get home and can fill me all in on how the day went. This is a new experience for them as we homeschooled for the past 2 years and they were in public school before that. This year is a change for us all as private school is a whole new world. They are in 6th and 7th grades.

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

*Sigh* sadly the last day of summer for me comes before my little guy. I start back on Monday the 19th and he goes back on Monday the 26th. It always goes by so fast and I am like a mad woman trying to cram in everything this week that I've put off haha. I only have one going back to school this year, which is really strange. My older two are now officially adults, so it's just the 8 year old. But I guess I have plenty of years left with him.

7. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I've been back for a week... 3 days of inservice and 3 days to work in my classroom. Today was the last day of that and tomorrow school starts for my district. Except I teach pre-K (special ed) and all Pre-K students have a orientation/parent-teacher conference before they start, so that's what I'm doing the next two days. I start teaching on Friday... the day that my girls go back to school in their district. I've got a senior and an 8th grader. My son, who is in college, has orientation for his tutoring job at the university Thursday and Friday and his classes start Monday.

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

OMG, some of y'all start really early, if I do say so myself! ;) Where I grew up, it was state law that public school couldn't start until AFTER Labor Day. And here, it starts basically the week before Labor Day--not that much sooner, but it still seems so dang early!

9. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Yes, but when do you get out? I was out the Wednesday before Memorial Day.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hats off to you with those little ones :) My sister also teaches pre-K special ed. I've pulled some time at the elementary level, but I will take my wise-cracking teens any day Haha I teach High School special ed and will be spending my first few days in parent meets as well.

We only started going back before Labor Day 2 or 3 years ago. They made that decision after a couple of years with a ton of snow days, so now we are trying to compensate for that.

11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I think they get out early- to mid-June. But where I'm from, the weather isn't really warm until then, anyway. You can't send the kids outside to play (and get out of your hair!) until then. ;) They do have to deal with snow days, which means it can be pushed back. But I guess they decided to make it a law because (1) tourism was affected (families weren't going on Labor Day weekend trips) and (2) the families that did still go on vacay were keeping their kids out of school. So, by starting school after Labor Day weekend, they can avoid truancy and let businesses/the gov't make a bit of money. You know it's all about money in the end, isn't it? :giggle