Re-homing puppies...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Brynn Marie, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

This is for anyone who has had a litter of puppies they had to find homes for...

How did you know the person/family was "right"???

We had an adorable litter of 7 chihuahua mix puppies at the beginning of June, so it's getting time to find them new homes. I am just nervous as heck about making sure that they go to great homes.

I am not kidding, if we had the room I would seriously keep them all....we love them that much.

[​IMG]

2. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

It's a good thing my dog was neutered. If I ever had access to a bunch of his puppies they would never live anywhere but with me!

I would definitely ask about their family structure, how much time home, any other pets or anything else that you know would be good or bad with that breed. You want to pick someone that will love them like you will.

And they are ADORABLE!!

3. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

OMG! I don't think I could give them away. How adorable!

I know shelters and rescue groups have crazy applications for adopting dogs. Maybe there's a group of rescuers or humane society types with advice?

4. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

easy. we are the right home. done!

5. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

Aww I dunno but that is one cute photo

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I agree...super cute photo! If any of the pups are more sensitive, more skittish, just try to find a family that is calm and well balanced. Watch perspective buyers interact with the pups. Just go with your gut.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have no idea... but WOW are those puppies darn cute! What a sweet photo!

8. SmallMoments

SmallMoments Are you ready for some football??

Oh my goodness... that photo!!!!

A friend of mine is always taking in strays or people drop off dogs at her house after they find them roaming. She does a home visit, asks LOTS of questions, and just gets a vibe, I guess.

9. nisafiin

nisafiin nisafiin

HA! Heather stole my answer! Maybe she and I can split them... :)

10. talktoheather

Ill vouch for Nisa. She has a solid roof and runs a right ship.

11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i really don't know, but i would love to hear if anyone has input. we have thought about breeding Arya... slim chance, but a possibility. i just don't know how i would hand over the puppy if i didn't feel like it was a good home for the dog. good luck!!!

12. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

I am trying to convince my brother to come get one before he PCS's to Hawaii as a gift for his girlfriends daughter...and I have a cousin in Florida who may come take one. I wish I lived closer to people I know :/

I've tried really hard to make sure the kids don't give them permanent names...but that little white one has been their (and mine lol) favorite from the beginning and they call him S'mores....I have been thinking about telling DH that no one wanted him, so uh oh looks like we have to keep him :giggle

13. talktoheather

I thought I read that one was name s'mores. That's the cutest thing ever!!

14. asouthernladysramblings

asouthernladysramblings New Member

My friend just went through this with a litter of puppies that a stray had on her front porch and she was very picky about the homes that they went too. She asked about their pet background and made sure that they would be a stable home for the puppy

15. asouthernladysramblings

asouthernladysramblings New Member

If you were closer I would love to have one.

16. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I hate to be gauche by taking about money but if they aren't family or friends, I would charge the people a hefty fee. People tend to take care of what they are invested in. I would also do a home visit and make it mandatory that they submit to an additional home visit after the puppy has been with them a week or two. I hate to sound like such a cynic but there are too many sick people in this world and I know you want the absolute best for the those cute little pups.

17. renee82

renee82 renee82

I've never had to give away puppies but my mom did... thankfully I was moved out of the house since I think I would have felt the same way. That is the most adorable photo ever! Good luck!

18. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Also, (in addition to what AmaG said) if you've paid for deworming for the mom (round worms activate during pregnancy and get into the pups in a couple of ways) and the pups & general vet care, etc, that adds up. At least have folks pay to balance out the cost of shots, deworming, food, and all that fun stuff. They would have to do it themselves anyway.

Btw, that has got to be one of the cutest puppy-baby photos I've seen in a long time! Yeah, I'd want to keep a puppy named s'more, too. He's adorable!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

oh goodness, they are adorable. I would say no apartments, fenced yard, no babies or toddlers. If they have other animals there has to be a "date" to see if the animals can accept each other.