Question. What do you do with your music?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Sara, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I know that probably sounds weird, but what I mean is...do you keep all your music on your computer? iTunes? Disks? All of the above? Or do you also have actual CDs that you keep?

We are organizing and preparing and purging for our move and it made me wonder..what should I do exactly with all the CDs I have? I have gobs of CDs. Gobs. About 5 Case Logic folders full.

I have imported most of them into iTunes over the years and I was thinking...is there any reason I should keep them? What do you do with music CDs? Do you keep them? Or have you ditched them?

Also am I super old and out of touch to still have gobs of CDs? LOL

2. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

ha ha...I did the same thing before our last PCS :)

We went from about 7 or 8 of those huge books down to 3. All the discs that I kept were albums that I love listening to the whole thing. If it was a CD that I only liked 1 or 2 songs, I imported those and then got rid of it.

3. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I burned all the songs I liked off the cd's and sold them years ago. Basically, a gigantic waste of time...I have this HUGE folder on my EHD or hard drive depending where I am and I never listen to any of the old stuff. Now I just use spotify all the time, I dont' even buy music.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I still have a shelf thing that is stuffed full of CDs. It's embarassing that I still will occasionally buy a CD at Best Buy. I get rewards gift certificates once in awhile and I usually buy a CD with that money. I have most of my CDs ripped to my computer, but I still can't seem to get rid of my CDs still. It's really silly to keep them, but they are in the basement out of sight, out of mind. Now with Spotify, that's pretty much all I listen to these days.

5. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

i put the music we listen to all the time on itunes, put the discs away in a closet in a binder, and a few of them are in the van since there is no mp3 hookup there. my dh's favorites are def. on itunes, b/c his cd player scratches discs badly and we have to re-burn his fave disc about 3x/year.

6. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I have so many CDs and I can't think of when I last listened to one! I still have lots of them that aren't on my computer - my high school self would be very disappointed to know my Depeche Mode collection isn't on here! I mostly listen to music on Spotify, YouTube or in Itunes.

If you do burn your music, just have a good back up system! I've lost a few songs with some of my computers.

7. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm super old school. Well, not as old school as I could be I guess. We finally got rid of the cassette tapes, but we do still have everything else on CD. I don't bother with getting them out too often – mainly just for long road trips. If I want music, I usually just turn on the radio. If DD is having friends over and doesn't want to play her CDs or ipod (which is only stuff we've loaded from her CDs), we put on the Kidz Only music channel on our TV. :p

8. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I got rid of all of ours in a garage sale. And I don't buy any anymore either, I subscribe to Google Music All Access. I still have all my purchased MP3s stored in Google Music cloud storage, as well, and I've deleted them off my actual hard drive.

9. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

we have a bunch of cd's in the basement that i need to take time to transfer to my ipod. i always think of old songs i want to listen to, but they're not on my ipod yet... not enough hours in the day i guess

10. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I whittled down to one binder - albums I absolutely love and cannot trash. The rest I garage-saled after downloading specific songs to my iTunes. Most of my music, like my scrap supplies, I keep backed up on flash drives. I like that I can play a flash drive in my car and not have tons of bulky CDs anymore.

11. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

We're thinking we should pare down and sell everything at our garage sale next weekend. There may be a few I can't bring myself to part with and part of me wants to hang on to a handful if only for the "history" of it, if that makes sense. But I think it makes sense to just rid ourselves of the clutter, because we can still keep what we want with the technology as it is.

Oooh I like the idea of not having them take up space on my hard drive either...Hmmm...Thank you for sharing this tidbit!! :beat

12. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I dropped them off at Goodwill without even bothering to import them.

13. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I moved internationally and took as little as possible with me. CDs did not make the cut.

14. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

I'd be inclined to keep the CDs anyway. I don't always trust itunes or computer so as many back ups as possible sounds good to me.

15. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

LOL, I still have my CDs, but the last new ones I bought are from the early nineties, I think. If I hear a song I have to have, I DL from iTunes, and then forget I have it on my iPad or i-music player thingy. I am so not a music person, except when in the car listening to radio stations! I prefer to listen to podcasts, anyway. However, I'd keep the CD just in case. I have lost files before.

16. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

i dont think i have cds any more infact i havent a cd player to play them on,but i do have my husbands vinyl that has done 2 house moves with us over 15 years and not once has he played them

17. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I have a boatload of vinyls in my basement. I just can't seem to part with them.

18. Brandy

Brandy I love, well, everything

I have mine on iTunes, Amazon Cloud, and just in general on my computer. I love using the Cloud so I can have it on my Kindle. We still burn every now and then on cds so I can listen to them in the car.

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'd get rid of the cd's if it were up to me. All my cd's are at least 10-15 years old. I mostly listen online or on sirius radio. I'll download and mix a cd for the car now and then but even those I hardly ever listen to.