Pad Patter 4/14 - Taxes

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by melrio, Apr 14, 2013.

1. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

It's here! Tomorrow is the day and I am not too thrilled about it! How's it going for y'all? Already get your money? We are owing once again! Man, how I miss my kids and their deductibles! Bwahaha

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

LOL Melanie! :giggle DH does ours in Turbo Tax and turned it in a few days ago. It was a bit of a headache this year, since we inherited some money from his grandfather and the lawyer made a mess of it. :p We are getting a bit of a refund though! :thumbsups

3. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I suppose that is one good side of being on welfare...that you don't need to do tax return...

4. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

We have two little ones, so ours has been done for awhile! LOL! We're saving to buy a house though, so we didn't get to do anything fun with our refund.

5. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I did mine the very first day that they started accepting returns this year.

6. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

Our taxes were done back in February. We bought a garden tractor which was delivered last week. Not really that much fun.

7. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I did mine in late January. Finally got my refund in March -- we had an education credit for my son in college and it was delayed due to that. We got a nice refund. Now state.... I did those at the same time but we owe $75. I have that set to come out of my account tomorrow. Waited until the last possible minute to pay it.

8. nun69

nun69 Active Member

already done and spent LOL only good things about owning a house and having 4 kids with 1 in college...not to mention I had my own personal college expenses I got to deduct :)

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ours are done, but only about a few weeks ago. We always get a nice refund, but then turn around and pay our kids school tuition in full for the following year, so it's not as exciting as it used to be. :) At least they are done and we don't owe money.

10. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

We were one of the first to get our taxes in and had our refund back the second week of February. We have a kid in college and three little ones still at home...all on a DH's income that gets taxed heavily....sigh.... We get a good refund back each year now that I am not working.

We bought some household items...new kitchen table/chairs, new dressers for the boys, washer/dryer, cooktop and a few other things. We put some in the savings for two new garage doors and openers too that we will get later this spring. We did have a little fun with the money too. DH got some parts to upgrade his computer and we took the boys to Wisconsin Dells for my 40th birthday!!!

11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we have many kids, and tax returns are a brilliant thing in our lives...we remodeled and had a wish list of things needed (puters for kids) and a few little things, and a nice bundle in savings...I do enjoy my little tax deductions, I mean children...bhahahha

12. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

OMG....seriously, we had it done but with my mom's funeral, traveling, etc...I forgot to have my dh sign all the papers before he left for work tonight. He won't be home until Friday. I'm just going to have to do whatever it is I need to do and get a check off tomorrow. I don't even have checks right now, so I guess I'm going to the bank to get some printed!!!!!

I better write myself a list right now of what needs to happen first thing in the morning! LOL

13. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

we haven't had a refund in so many years...I forget what that even is!

My dh figured ours in Turbo Tax though, and I finally convinced him to go back to our CPA because it was getting really tricky with some things and I wasn't sure if we were doing it right. Turbo Tax had us owing about $4,000 but our CPA got it down to $1500. It was worth the $350 we paid him!!

Since he wasn't able to work almost all of last year because of being disabled, at least we didn't owe California anything. Normally if he works in Alaska, we still have to pay CA state tax, and that's usually around $4,000 - $6,000 a year.

Next year is going to be a different story. We have some property that sold, pension from Alaska with no CA state tax coming out, and working on top of it all. We need to start saving NOW!!

14. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

That's why I stick with our accountant, Debra. She's some sort of miracle worker.

15. LeslieM

LeslieM Member

Filed via TurboTax in March and got our refund right away. I had financial aid deadlines to meet for the college kids. I'm a retired CPA so I didn't sign up for all of Turbo Tax's bells and whistles options, but agree it can be very confusing for non-professionals! I also do a tax projection for the current year right after I finish last year's taxes. My plan is to get a little refund every year (close to zero as I can) and never owe! :)

16. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

We did ours right away too, because we knew we'd be getting a refund. I love having kiddos LOL. And its going to good use - we need a new roof, so our refund will be helping towards that.

17. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

I'm self employed *digi designer and I run a daycare in my home* so I try to do it at the VERY last minute, I hate tax season *grumble*

18. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Owing once again but.... so excited because it was a lot less than the previous few years. Little surprise #4 helped some I am sure. Not sure what it would feel like if we ever got any back LOL!

19. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I always make sure I have most everyone else's done before I file mine and the two kids returns. Still deducting both so ended up with a little refund which I split between my savings and each of their college accounts. Having both of them in college is pretty expensive.

I ended up with some self employment income that I planned well enough for 2012. I'm going to have to do a projection myself here pretty soon.

I ended up doing about 50 returns this year. Last one got mailed today!