Kindle Paperwhite

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by staciahall, Mar 29, 2013.

1. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I got paid for doing some income taxes and have been considering purchasing a Kindle Paperwhite. I have an iPad but can't really read outside using it because of the glare issue. So I already have the iPad for web surfing and JUST wanted the Kindle for actual reading. I would like to be able to read in bed if I wanted to and have problems with real books, the distance to my bedside light and the fact that my eyes are in their late 40's. It would seem that the Paperwhite would be a good fit for this need.

Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Are there any accessories etc that I need and can you make any recommendations?

2. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

I love my Paperwhite!!! I have an iPad, but I love the weight/size of the Paperwhite. The only thing I would suggest getting with it is the cover that Amazon makes - it fits like a glove, and automatically puts the Paperwhite to sleep when you close the cover. I have the cheaper Paperwhite with the ads on the bottom - they aren't there while you're reading the book, only on the front menu screen. And, if you have Amazon prime, you can take advantage of the lending library, which you can't do through the app on the iPad. I haven't had this kindle on the beach - but there's no glare outside, and its so much easier to see than the iPad.

3. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i love my paperwhite! love. i had the regular one before but this is great because it can be dark in a room and i can still see to read! i got the amazon sleep to close cover, too.... i waited a while to shop around for a cover and liked that one the best.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have the Nook version (Nook with Glowlight) and I love it too. It's nothing fancy, just a reader, but it's SO light and I love the built in light. I don't know how I did without it before. :) I used to read on my iPhone every night, but it really started to strain my eyes. The Nook doesn't do that because of the e-ink.

5. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

I have an iPad but decided to buy a Paperwhite last month when I came across a few books that could only be downloaded to a kindle by USB. While I don't love the actual viewing as well reading in the iBooks app (I like that it shows how many pages are left in a chapter if you are reading an actual book and not a PDF)....it IS A LOT lighter than my iPad (with an otterbox case) which is great!!!!! I can throw it in my purse and not be weighed down. If I am reading in bed, in the dark, I don't have a problem seeing it.

6. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I love my Paperwhite. I used it so much over Spring Break. I love that it has a feature that will monitor how fast you read and tell you how much longer you have to finish a chapter. My family would ask me to do something and I could say, "As soon as I finish this chapter, which will be in 5 minutes..." or whatever. I love the screen so much. The rest of my family got Kindle Fires for Christmas but I don't want or need a tablet, I just like to read. The Paperwhite is perfect for that.

Plus... I need bifocals for reading. I can just increase the font size on the Paperwhite and put off the whole bifocal thing for awhile. I get eye strain very easily but never with the Paperwhite.

7. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I have the latest gen iPad and a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't read books on my iPad unless I have to. Kindle Paperwhite is MUCH lighter and easier on the eyes to read. I love it.

8. Dana

Dana Dana

you girls are making me want a paperwhite - bad!! :) i still have the first generation kindle (haha) - but have been reading on my iphone exclusively for the past 4 years. i never read on the ipad, it's just too bulky for me ... but i think i'd like the paperwhite a lot ... hmmmm ..... my birthday IS this month, maybe a present to myself ?!? heehee ;)

9. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

If you're reading on your phone, you definitely should go for a Paperwhite. Reading on my phone makes my eyes hurt so much.

10. Dana

Dana Dana

yes! that's what i'm thinking :) i'm totally going to go for it ...!

11. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Hm. My mom has one of those first paper white Nooks with that narrow bottom screen. She didn't like it because she generally reads at night, and it wasn't backlit. I gave her my backlit Nook Color, she loves it. I read on my iPad mini no problem.

12. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I ordered mine! It should be here next week. I'm going to live with it and then decide on what type cover.

13. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

I'm looking forward to getting mine *soon I hope* I also use the iPad for reading but I find it really heavy to hold and awkward at nighttime to read in bed, Hubby uses a regular kindle and I don't like the buttons and the non white background (and no option to brighten it) so i have been researching the kindle paperwhite and I hope to get it soon, dh wants one too!

14. sucali

sucali sucali

I had the first Kindle generation and upgraded to a Paperwhite, I have the 3G version...and I love it!
    I have the Amazon Cover which is really great!
    I like that I can read everywhere without needing a light, it's perfect!!!

15. amandaresende

amandaresende amandaresende

I have the KOBO GLO version (with glowlight) and I LOOOOVE it! I can't live without it!!

16. renee82

renee82 renee82

I've wondered about this. I've been reading from my iPad but it starts to hurt my eyes and with staring at computer screens for almost everything nowadays, my eyes are really feeling the strain. Maybe a mother's day gift? ;)