PL: My Approach for 2013

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by sarahbhb, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I blogged for One Little Bird about my approach to Project Life this year. I'm taking a really simplified approach this year (especially when compared to my 2012 album). I'm really enjoying how much easier it is for me to put together this year especially since I'm still working on my 2012 album. Here's the link for anyone who might want to check it out.

http://frickonastick.com/2013/02/powerful-storytelling-project-life-strategies/

2. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

So, so smart, Sarah. Love this.

3. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

4. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

Great idea!! I was just thinking about this today actually, that there is no reason PL has to be weekly...it can be whatever I want! I love that you are using just one size card too...that really does make it easier!

5. sarahbhb

Thanks, ladies!

Debra, using one size card is key for me, for this year. I love the look of multi sized pockets and different pages, but this year it is important for me to just get it done, since I'm still working on last years. This takes all the planning out of it and just creating the cards and getting them into my album is making me super happy (yaaay). I would much rather have a finished album than feel like a failure, which is definitely where I was at the end of last year. Now I'm seeing that I can get it done in a timely manner and even though I'm a few weeks behind, I know that if I sit down to create a page it's only going to take 1-2 hours...not the 5+ I was devoting last year, so I'm a lot less stressed about the whole thing. I wish I could be one of those people that have the mindset of 1/3rd of the year is better than nothing..but honestly, it seriously stresses me out.

6. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again... so brilliant! Love your approach and the ease of it.

7. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Love your tips Sarah, especially about how you go about making things simple/consistent - given that this is an ongoing project, it really helps to find a system that works for you and stick to it!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

I have recently gone through a very similar change! My new style is monthly as well, and all one size pockets. For the first time in three years of doing this project, I feel no stress or dread when I think about where I'm at it with it. It's a very happy place to be!

I blogged about my new change as well at http://amyjazdesigns.com.

9. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Thank you Sarah! Such an inspiring post, I really love your approach. I'm reevaluating my own system. I finished up 2012 (all digital) but paused the project when 2013 started. My digital pages were just taking way too much time. I really need to adopt the loose timeline approach. I've been seriously considering a hybrid approach - I do like the idea of having the physical book open and being able to add to it throughout the week. But then I'd have to figure out a convenient printing solution... which hasn't happened yet. I'm really keen on your idea of having all your pockets the same size, my first thought was "that is so smart!" And then my second thought was "but then I wouldn't be able to use all the cute 3x4 journal cards!!!" LOL first world problems...

10. sarahbhb

You totally can! These are all from last year but the cards I'm pointing out are all 4x6.

[​IMG]
    The cinnamon sticks and recipe card are both 3x4 journaling cards by Gina, I just placed them next to each other on a 4x6 canvas.

[​IMG]
    The notes card is a 4x3 by Sabrina. I just reduced it in size a little.

[​IMG]

I used a couple of Michelle's journaling cards on the bottom left...I just reduced them way down to a size that was good for my card.

I do wish there were more cool 4x6 cards like this though. I know there are a few, but not nearly as many as the 3x4.

11. ang517

ang517 New Member

Great post! I did something similar for 2013 except I went to design F so I could (basically) have all 3x4 spots. I find it much easier to work w/all the little pockets & I'm moving faster than I did last year. With design F I still end up w/2 4x6 pockets for each 2-page spread but one is for my title card and the other isn't a big deal to fill. I would like the option of a design that's ALL 3x4's but F works out fine. I also switched from a P365 approach to a week-in-review which takes all the pressure off of always have a pic every.single.day. On the title card I don't have "week 1, 2, etc" anymore, just the dates that that spread covers, this way if I end up covering 2 weeks or 10 days... I don't have to even think about what week # it is, I just change the dates. I really enjoyed doing my 2012 album but I think 2013 will be even more fun. :)

12. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Good point Sarah... love how you've used the journal cards. :)

13. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Sarah... this is a great tip. I am all about simplifying and making it easy to keep on top of it. I hope that I can apply this to digi. ;) I do not see myself doing hybrid b/c my thoughts are for the future and having 2 children it is not cost effective to create multiple copies. Also, I don't have a printer that would allow me to print at home daily. That is on my wish list. :)

Amy... I wasn't able to find your post. Your blog just has one post. The Hello World one? :(

14. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

Trista- I know. I was upgrading to a new server last night and my site disappeared. Hoping to get it back today! I'll let you know

15. sarahbhb

Very cool. I can't wait to read about it. Definitely let us know when it's back up.

16. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

Since Sarah treats each 4x6 slot as its own digital page, I think you could just use 3x4 journal cards and photos and plop that onto the 4x6 canvas. It would totally work.