One Little Word?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ang517, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ang517

ang517 New Member

Have you done it before? What was your word? Did the experience have an effect on you?

Are you doing it in 2013? Did you pick your word yet? What are you considering? Are you doing it on your own or joining Ali Edwards at BPC?

I learned about OLW something last year. Thought it was an interesting concept and that's about it. I'm thinking of trying it myself in 2013. I've never been a New Year's resolution person but I could see this having real meaning. I'm also considering joining Ali's class on BPC. http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/onelittleword2013.php

I started jotting down words that felt like they would have meaning for me - right now patience is in the lead but others are do, move and less.

2. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

my OLW for 2011 was Focus, for 2012 it's Austerity, for 2013...
    yet to be determined...

in 2011 I needed to focus on "me," my needs, my house, etc,
    after taking care of my Mother (with Alzheimer's disease for four years) I had almost forgotten myself

2012, I chose Austerity, I totally simplified my life, and paid off all of my bills

2013: Unpredictable, but I still have 'til Dec 31st to decide lol
    and, it has 13 letters, so that's an added bonus!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I did OLW in 2011 - balance :) I think I managed it too :)

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I should probably do patience too or calm.

5. ang517

ang517 New Member

On my fortieth bday I adopted the yin yang as my symbol (balance/harmony). Like a motto. I have it around me as my reminder (even got it as tattoo on that bday).

6. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I've picked a word the past couple of years, but i'm horrible with follow through.

Maybe my word should be perseverance.

7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm doing New52 next year, so I'm debating on choosing 'new' (or a synonym) as my OLW and taking the Ali class to keep me accountable.

I have chosen OLWs in the past, but not done much with them, so I'm hoping that by having a project + a class that I pay for, it will 'force' me to follow through with my word.

8. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I should do "putthedamncakedown"

9. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

Last year was "time"...I wanted to make more time for family. I did pretty well!!

I haven't thought about this year yet. It might be determination, journey, story....not sure if I want to focus of my hopeful weight loss or a family word again.

10. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

Last year, my word was Voice - as in, I was trying to find mine. So, I worked my way through alot of art mediums, photography, painting, drawing, art journaling, collage, paper scrapping (a teeny tiny bit - didn't like that at all!), and now my journey has taken me here, to digital scrapping. I didn't take Ali's class last year, but I'm thinking about doing it this year.

11. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Nah, with the amount of running you do, I'd say you can eat whatever you want!

12. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I chose a word this year. I didn't do anything specific with it, other than make a layout at the beginning of the year. But I did keep it in a visible place and thought about it a lot and I feel like it made a difference in my life. I've never done the class. For those that have do you think it's worth it? I havent picked a word for 2013 yet.

13. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

in 2011 i chose health - i walked or ran nearly every day and lost 35 pounds on weight watchers.
    i can't even remember what i chose for 2012! :lol:

14. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I can't remember what I chose for 2011. For 2012 my word was "do". I sure have done a lot in 2012 so I think I did my word well :) But it wasn't what was driving my actions. I've yet to decide if I want to choose a word for 2013.

15. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

That is decidedly not true. Or I need to run more.

16. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Geez......I guess my OLW wasn't too important as I can't even remember it now.

For 2013, my OLW is going to be Organization! I've got a good start on it and really am determined to make some big changes in the new year with my house. I'm starting to believe that if my house is in good working order then the rest of my life may follow along. May! Gotta start somewhere!

17. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

In 2010 my OLW was Wellness, in 2011 it was Harmony and this year's was Intentional.

I have to say my first two goes were "meh" and really, in retrospect, it was because my words were a general "hope" of a result. I wanted Balance and so I chose words that represented what I hoped to achieve. They did keep me focused on what was important to me but having those words guiding my days didn't necessarily help me attain balance (wellness) or harmony.

Those experiences helped me realize I was, for me, going a little too abstract. Choosing "intentional" for this year was an entirely different experience. It was an action-based word. And it truly guided me in every way as a reminder for HOW to achieve what I hoped to achieve personally, spiritually, relationally, etc. I feel like it was a successful exercise in introspection and personal growth.

I'm really leaning toward Intentional again for 2013. But I may choose something fresh. I do know that when I do, I'm going to again select something that focuses on the HOW, is action-based, and not so focused on the Hoped For Result.

Annnnnd I think I may not of made an ounce of sense here. LOL..but ah well.

18. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

2011 was celebrate. 2012 was grow. I'm thinking be for this year.

My transition to married life has been great. But I've had a harder time with the job and city. I need to remember that I control my happiness and to be exactly what I want to be. :)

19. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

2013 will be my 6th OWL year :) 08 was Strength, 09 was Cherish, 10 was Focus, 11 was Capture and 12 was Passion. I'm still thinking on 2013, I am torn between two.

20. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

In 2011, my word was flourish. In 2012, it was balance. I am still thinking for 2013...