Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mlewis, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Anyone else dread them every year? Or rather . . . The photo session to get the picture to put on the card? ;) I haven't even begun to think about pictures or a card design this year and am feeling hopelessly behind!

We had professional pics taken back in May, and I am seriously thinking of using one of those pics even thou most of our family has seen them already.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

Same here...I'm using the family photos Deb took back in August. We had a photographer from LA photograph the kids and I last month while he was in NYC on a trip and I just can't bring myself to do it again (family photos are the most insanely stressful thing ever). Not to mention Brian would kill me (we haven't had family photos done in 5 years but doing it twice in 1 year was probably about the same cost..ouch). As far as cards go I think I may use one of Amy J's from here :)

3. Dana

Dana Dana

arghh - yea, i need to start trying to take some pics of my kids and get something that's decent! i think i'm going to order cards thru tiny prints this year (has anyone ever used them?!?) - no one really even "gets" that i do my own cards normally and i'm feeling rushed this year ...

4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

We will probably take a picture sometime this week while we are at the cabin. Hopefully we'll get one decent shot where we are all looking and smiling. :)

5. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

oh....that photo session. can I share?

[​IMG]

growls, whines, pouts, glares. and screaming. Just the boy. the girl flashes a brilliant smile every time and was VERY excited to do a rudolf nose prop... LAST year, the boy flat out REFUSED to take a picture, so the card that went to teachers only featured the girl. I'd rather do a family photo, but the husband doesn't get home during daylight hours, so setting up a shoot is difficult...and we've had precious few days of sunlight anyway this month...

so yes. i dread the christmas card photo shoot...

6. julia

julia julia

I already ordered mine, took a quick shoot outisde in October.

[​IMG]

7. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Stressful doesn't even begin to describe getting a picture of the family these days! I'm hoping to get a picture in the next week or so just so we can show off the new addition to our family. However that would require that 5 of the 6 people in our family would have to get over their sickies. Probably not going to happen... :(

8. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

i seriously doubt we will get a card out this year. although i don't mind making them..
    however, my sil has asked me to make their cards. she LOVES mustaches and found a card on etsy that she wanted me to take from. this is my brother that has brain cancer. and this is the photo she wanted to use.. i totally wish my brother was looking up at the camera in a playful way. i feel this photo is wayyyyyyy too serious for a mustache card. but my sis loves it, and i would do ANYTHING for my little bro. soooo here it is....

[​IMG]

credits:
    template by amy jaz
    mustache by michelene
    papers by rachel

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Just a quick tip... ask your photographer (whatever time of year it is) to take one Christmas themed shot (use hats or something) and save that just for cards.
    If you have a photo someone has already seen, then just process it differently (like b/w) or something like that. :)

10. 3littleks

3littleks Pass the gold and the glitter, please!

I got a shot of the kids wrapped in a blanket that my husbands grandma made him the other day. I turned it B&W so I could just drop it in the card. I may do another shot over thanksgiving but I actually really like this one.
    The card I am still tweaking but it is simple and to the point.

[​IMG]
    card by lillylane photography, on Flickr

11. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I love that Brenda! It's perfect!

12. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

Cards?? I'm supposed to do cards?? Ugh! No. Thank. You.

If I do them - store bought, no photo. Signature only. I just don't get into Christmas cards.

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm dreading mine this year too. Last year I set the bar way too high and people have been asking for months what I'm doing for my card this year. I have NO idea yet. Here's last year's card:

[​IMG]

14. scrappup32

scrappup32 Currently starring in Hoarders: Digi Disarray

Wow!! So many awesome cards! We're Jewish so we do holiday cards, typically featuring our fluffy dogs. But I LOVE getting Christmas cards. They are my favorite!! The Rudolph nose is sooooooo cute! And Karen -- wow!!! How did you do that pyramid???

15. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

HA! I'm totally excited for this year's shoot, and cards. I love my idea, and if they don't totally cooperate, even better!

16. sczos911

sczos911 New Member

NO idea what I am going to do. No clue. Loving these cards though.

17. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Wow Karen, this is hard to follow!! I cannot wait to see what you do this year!! :D

LOL Amber! I only have a husband that plays hard to photograph, and I complain, but you certainly have it worse! :)

18. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Karen - I have seen that photo on pinterest quite a bit, and never knew it was you guys! My question is...how did you exactly so this???!!! Is it completely "photoshopped"/extracted?! Love it!

19. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I ordered our cards last weekend and used a family photo we took over the summer. It was the best I had of all of us together.

20. 3littleks

3littleks Pass the gold and the glitter, please!