Art Journal Musings #1 - Looking at the Stars

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mishou, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mishou

mishou mishou

Welcome to the first prompt in our new art journaling series here at TLP!

If you haven't seen it yet, there's an intro thread here where you can learn more about art journaling.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
    - Oscar Wilde

This idea has been on my mind a lot lately.

Over the last several months there is a certain person in my life who has been teaching me some serious lessons about the power of optimism and hope. She is going through a really, really rough time and yet her positive attitude has been unfailing. Never losing faith. Always seeing the bright side. Every single day she gets out of bed and chooses to laugh and live and have a good day even though she is facing the bleakest of circumstances. She has been a tremendous inspiration to me.

"Ignore the rain, look for the rainbow."

I will freely admit this is something I have a VERY hard time with myself. I'm more of a "glass half empty" kind of person by nature. But I've been making a conscious effort lately to look up at the stars instead of down in the gutter and when I encountered that Oscar Wilde quote recently it inspired this journal page:

[​IMG]

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes."
    - Hugh Downs

Looking at the bright side isn't always easy. What do you do when you find yourself stuck in that proverbial gutter? Are you an optimist or a pessimist by nature?

"There are souls in this world which have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go."
    - Frederick Faber

What are the things that uplift you when you're down? Who are the shining lights and guiding stars in your life?

"When the light has sharply faded and you have lost your way, let another's love guide you. It can turn blackest night into day." – Kevin Meyers

{insert more sample layouts here}

by misslovesscraps:
    [​IMG]

by lynning
    [​IMG]

by mommatrish
    [​IMG]

by litabells
    [​IMG]

by naughtsncrosses
    [​IMG]

by Jenna
    [​IMG]

If the theme or a quote or a question or anything about this post inspires you to create something, we'd love for you to share it with us! It can take any shape or form - there are no rules here! No deadlines either. Just post it to the TLP gallery and link us up here so we can all be inspired by your lovely work.

There's a special gallery for your pages HERE.

Happy journaling!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Great Examples and super idea, Michelle! Any chance we can learn the kit used for the 3 with the girls face? :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. mishou

mishou mishou

Hi Amanda! Sorry to be a tease :giggle
    The face is part of a little kit I have coming out tomorrow (Saturday) as part of our special DSD Special Saturday releases :D

4. mpatry

mpatry New Member

Working on my page right now :) This will be my first digi-art journal page... here it goes!

5. mishou

mishou mishou

Woot! Can't wait to see :D

6. mpatry

mpatry New Member

Finished my page! I created it in 5x7 so that I can print it and put it in my actual art journal. I will also do some real journaling in my book. Thank you for the inspiration, it really touched me and I can't wait to put my page in my book.

[​IMG]

7. editorialdragon

editorialdragon editorialdragon

Here's mine, inspired by the "Ignore the rain, look for the rainbows" quote (although I didn't end up actually using that quote!). Reminded me, in a way, of a Bible verse :)
    [​IMG]

8. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

9. shades of bliss

shades of bliss bolʹshie koshki

Looks like fun!! What great pages!!

10. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

omg!! awesome pages here!! Here is another page of mine (couldn't stop playing with this mini kit)

[​IMG]

11. cyranoscrap

cyranoscrap Active Member

Here's my attempt at the prompt!

[​IMG]

12. amyjaz

amyjaz amyjaz

I'm so interested in this new series! Not sure my minimalist style will be a good fit for it, but I'm mulling it over....

13. mishou

mishou mishou

Yay!!!! I loved waking up to all this eye candy this morning! Gorgeous work everyone!!!

14. mishou

mishou mishou

Ok let it be known that I don't allow self-doubt in my prompt series! :giggle
    If this inspired something in you, GO WITH IT. Forget about styles and make what is in your heart to make. Did you read here and see the minimalist examples I intentionally included? I just want everyone to have fun with these and not worry so much about having their pages look a certain way. :beat:beat:beat

15. SandyPie

SandyPie Active Member

Sandra of Studio 68 is considered an excellent minimalist art journeler, here's her layouts on her blog: http://sixtyeight.wordpress.com/category/digital-art/art-journals/ Maybe it will help?

16. skyezak

skyezak Member

Here's a page I've just made for this prompt. Great to see some art journalling here at the Pad too!
    [​IMG]

17. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

That's so cool Sharon!! love how you placed her side ways and that little crown on her head!! awesome page

18. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I love this thread :)

Here is my page
    [​IMG]

19. judet

judet Active Member

Gorgeous, gorgeous pages here! I'm a little bit in awe!

I forgot to post my page here so here it is!

[​IMG]

20. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think